drama monologues (1 Viewer)

Mally Cat

HSC
Hello peps
How are we all? anyways, i was told by a nice person to ask my question here.
I have a play that i'm really interested in 'kennedy's children' where i could play two characters, Carla (a marilyn Monroe figure) or Mark (a war vet). They are both interest (even it doesn't sound like it) but i was wondering whether i can change one of these characters to a female role (MarK), even though it won't be accurate. mmmmm... Carla's character talks a bit about what she has done in order to get job (sex ) and i was wondering if i should do this, i would do it all in good taste.
Thanks---> Which chatacer do you think i should choose. This would be much appreciated
luv Mal

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
hello...i think that was me :eek: lol. well yeah both of those characters sound like you could do a lot with them, who you choose will probably depend on your personal tastes as well as the sorts of characters you're better at playing. it sounds like mark is more interesting to you? you say if you change him to a female role it won't be accurate - i'm assuming this is because if he's a war vet then playing it as a female won't make sense considering the historical context (by kennedy it means jfk am i right?) ... but if you really want to do that character, perhaps you could take the most important or interesting bits of him and mould them into a monologue that a female could also play without it being weird. like, if its possible at all to minimise the references to actually participating in war, i would do that. or you could switch it around and make your character a war nurse or an ambulance driver or something.personally i have no problem with females playing males as long as its done well - if you think you can do it as a male then maybe that would be easier for you.

as for carla...hmm if she's a marilyn-esque sort of lady who used sex to get where she is...well if you can do that sort of sensual, heavily sexual character (you know what i mean) then she would be an excellent choice considering you don't have the problem of gender.

umm, as for who you should choose, well ultimately it is up to you. but i would tentatively say mark?? because you seem to want to do him more?

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
I think u should first consider wat ur style is...is it comedy? Reality? Absurd? etc etc.

I also think u should stay away from being a male character, unless u hav a knack for it, even if u change him to be a woman.

Thirdly, try and pick a character that u can vision urself getting a good mark with. Dont pick a character/play just coz u like it. U may like it, but it mightn't suit u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)