• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

draw sections of polyethylene (1 Viewer)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Q.
Draw a section of polyethylene molecule with
a. chain branching
b. crosslinking

questions from conquering chemistry, while on the topic, umm. anyone ever bother to do the investigation tasks on that book?

cheers =]

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hey mitsui. ^^

Don't ask me why i'm up this late. I guess i couldn't be bothered to go to bed lol.

I use the chem contexts book so i can't really help you there...

xvelidras

HSC
Admittedly I'm lazy and relatively computer illiterate, but couldn't you just look at Conquering's answers? I imagine you'll get a similar diagram.

Didn't bother to do the investigative tasks either

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Polyethylene with chain branching means having one hydrogen atom that's attached to the carbon atom replaced with a polymer chain. In a diagram, this polymer chain would be drawn perpendicular to the original chain.

Crosslinking means having two linear polymer chains joined together by two carbons (one from each chain) sharing a bond. These chains are drawn parallel to each other, linked by a vertical line between two carbon atoms.

Here are somewhat badly drawn paint-diagrams. :)

And no, I never did the investigation things.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
rivet:.. hm is context any use??

thx dreamerish~~~!
i got the similar answer to the book but i juz donno how to differentiate between the two diagrams. (i think i drawn the same thing for both, juz one is continuous, one is stopping. -.-)

thx =] no investigations for me.yaya

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You missed the second i in my name lol. :p

Context is quite detailed, very good for summarising but you have to read alot because of the detail. It has questions at the end of each section, which can be useful for revising.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Riviet said:
You missed the second i in my name lol. :p

Context is quite detailed, very good for summarising but you have to read alot because of the detail. It has questions at the end of each section, which can be useful for revising.
Haha, I see size 1 is catching on. I swear, every time I read one of Frig's posts I'd be tempted to use the size, then one day I just caved in. :p

Anyhow, just to add to Riviet's :)p) post, Chemistry Contexts is a great textbook if you wish to do research on specific areas. You can use it on the side, but I suggest you choose something like Conquering Chemistry as your main textbook because it's concise. Contexts goes into a lot of (sometimes unnecessary) detail and it's often hard to distinguish between the parts you need to learn and the parts you don't need at all. For example, waste water management isn't in the syllabus but Contexts goes on about it for a whole page.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
yea i startin to realise that now,

but i always end up memorising everything, juz in case.... *_*

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
mitsui said:
yea i startin to realise that now,

but i always end up memorising everything, juz in case.... *_*
Oh, don't do that unless you have a robot memory. There's already plenty to remember.

Refer to the syllabus when necessary and look through the past papers to give yourself an idea of what you do and don't need to know.

Last edited:

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
ok i guess i will try my luck and onli memorise those they asked in the syllabus. =]
thx guys! =]

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
Haha, I see size 1 is catching on. I swear, every time I read one of Frig's posts I'd be tempted to use the size, then one day I just caved in. :p
Definitely something for a change, getting very obcessive too. =D

Mitsui: always refer to the syllabus when doing your notes and revising. The only things they will exam us on will be from the syllabus.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
haha. -.-
but changin the size every post is such a drag

anyhow
19hrs of study alreadi.mann.. -.-

Riviet

HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
haha. -.-
but changin the size every post is such a drag

anyhow
19hrs of study alreadi.mann.. -.-
I'm just starting early so next year won't be as hectic as we know it's going to be. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)