• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Driving from Melbourne to Canberra (bushfires) (1 Viewer)

ephorex

HSC
Hey, for those of us driving from Melbourne to Canberra, are the roads along the way blocked by trees/debris/fires still burning?

Just wondering, coz if so...hmm....a little bit screwed there..

33pairs

HSC
I'm having the same issues...
But apparently the main roads are open (Hume, Princes, etc.), it's just the exits that lead toward the affected areas are closed.
So you/we should be fine!! (fingers crossed)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
You guys should really confirm with the SES or CFA before you start your journey.

Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) - 1800 240 667

Due to the large number of calls, people are advised they may get a recorded message or a busy signal. Residents who do get a busy signal are asked to be patient, hang up and try the number again.
Information is also available at DSE: Fire & Other Emergencies or Country Fire Authority

33pairs

HSC
I wouldn't clog up the CFA with issues that aren't immediate..(thankyou for the help though!)
Call VicRoads.

ephorex

HSC
I've googlemapped the route, and it's pretty much along the Hume Hwy all the way to Canberra. And on the VicRoads website it says:

The Hume Freeway and the Princes Highway are open to all traffic

Of course, " AS AT 1:15 PM TUESDAY 10 FEB 2009"

So yeh, hoping it should be fine...well, atm it seems fine, but I'll probs be going up on Saturday...so hopefully things wouldn't have changed since then...

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
The CFA or SES would have up to date information and warnings about this. Considering there's projected ~200 deaths, it's serious enough to call before driving up.

ephorex

HSC
Might just have to head east and take the longer way if worse came to worse.
Yeah, I checked that possibility as well; would take an extra hour or so to use the Princes Hwy, but if the northern route is cut, that's the only way to go I guess.

Hope they have it under control by then.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Yeah, I checked that possibility as well; would take an extra hour or so to use the Princes Hwy, but if the northern route is cut, that's the only way to go I guess.

Hope they have it under control by then.
i'd rather it take an extra hour than to end up like the burnt out cars everyone's seen on the news =O.

kinda creeped me out.

blacksunset

HSC
drove up today - no problems.
i dont mean to be rude.. but "creeped you out." have some respect. it is the biggest tragedy australia has seen. who cares if you need to take an extra hour

the only problem with the roads is that partway up the hume there is a whole stack of road which is just burnt and black. and lots of dead wildlife and stock.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
drove up today - no problems.
i dont mean to be rude.. but "creeped you out." have some respect. it is the biggest tragedy australia has seen. who cares if you need to take an extra hour

the only problem with the roads is that partway up the hume there is a whole stack of road which is just burnt and black. and lots of dead wildlife and stock.
sorry but i didn't mean for that to come out disrespectfully. maybe i should have said scared me. the general gist is the same, sorry if my choice of words came out wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)