Drop Business, Eng Ext 1 or French?? (1 Viewer)

mengfei

HSC
Hey guys
Year 12 starts for me tomorrow and I'm reconsidering my subject drop form, it can be changed up until Nov for us
I'm currently doing 13 units
- 2U maths, 2u adv + 1u ext, 2u geo, 2u sor, 2u French and 2u business

Business
- Ranked 3/40 at half yearlies and 5/40 in end of yearlies
- Barely put a lot of effort in yet got high ranks
- Lowest workload out of the three
- Bad teacher, so boring, don't like the content and often sigh when seeing it on my timetable next up - bleh
- 3/31 students in 2014 HSC got B6
- Easiest marks out of all three, but most boring/ugly/gross subject haha
- Most of my classmates are lazy and tbh aren't looking at atars over 90 though

French
- Ranked 7/12 then 8/12
- Don't study for my French tests at all as there's no content or dot points to remember, really depends on what you get on the day
- Have higher exam mark for French than business but lower assessment mark than business
- Fun subject, great teacher, usually my most fun class of the day
- 5/12 students last year got B6
- Most fun out of all three

Ext Eng
- Ranked 9/32 then 15/32
- Mark was 45/50 exam and 41/50 assessment
- Most effort required out of all three
- Workload disproportionate for 1 unit
- Interesting material but completely unnecessary compared to advanced English which has to count towards ATAR
- 20/25 students got E4 (highest) in HSC last year

The guys in Ext Eng and French Continuers are really smart however in Business they're all slacking and no one pays attention. This could all change seeing HSC pressure starts tomorrow.
My original plan was just to do 10 units and drop Ext eng and business but parents won't allow. I've got to do 11 to start off with according to them so I have to drop 1 of the above.

Which do you think?

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd probably keep all of them at this stage. I mean I think its fairly pointless just dropping for the point of dropping.

Plus the number of band 5/6s can move substantially in different years.

crowley926

HSC
If you really wanna drop something I'd suggest Business studies purely because you hate it so much. Even though you're doing well it's not worth it- trust me, I was in the same boat as you last year with Biology (I was doing well but this was also me: "often sigh when seeing it on my timetable next up") and I thought I could handle it but you just get so emotionally drained, unfocused in class and unmotivated to study for it.

Definitely keep French: you enjoy it and honestly if you just put in more work and practice writing/reading/listening/speaking regularly (maybe like 1 component per day) then you'll find it's going to be easy to get your rank higher. (Also do wide reading in French and maybe watch some French cartoons)

It's funny that you say that the workload for ext eng is disproportionate because I usually rejoice that it only has 1 essay and 1 creative (albeit they are 1.3k words each). I'd say keep that since you find interesting and based on your school's performance last year you are in the e4 range

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Just drop whatever you hate the most, I guess? Eventually, subjects like Business Studies will eventually need a reasonable amount of studying. And that goes for all subjects.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
If you do drop biz WLL is going to end you...
can confirm, writtenloveletters will actually shank your ass
goodbye OP you will be missed rip

tbh ignore your parents
Nobody but yourself knows your strengths and weaknesses as well as yourself
choose what subject YOU reckon should drop

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)