Drop Maths???? (1 Viewer)

Lani89

HSC
I have been arguing a lot with my mum on dropping maths. I really don't understand or enjoy it and my last three test results have all been 57%. The only occupation I would consider doing which is slightly related would be in business however I am more interested in creative arts. Mum reckons that if you want to get into uni you have to do maths (even if they are courses not at all related to maths). I don't know what to do coz I feel like I am wasting my time in maths but now i am worried that i will be disadvantaged for not completing maths. I think i would find it too stressful to drop to general as it is a completely different course. I need help.

natw89

HSC
if your gonna have enough units and it makes you happy then drop it...are u doing general or mathematics?
im currently doing mathematics and failing terribly =)
and for some crazy/unknown reason i didnt drop it even though im doing 12 units...
i wish i was brave enough to argue with my parents and actually drop it..imagine how much less homework i would have which means more of a life and more time to concentrate on other subjects i enjoy...oh well....i assume that doesnt help but thats my views on maths=death

Lani89

HSC
I have 12 units including maths and it is clear that it is my worst subject. I've done well at maths in the past but now I am struggling. Mum made me get a tutor at one stage but it didn't really help. There is too much to have to remember in the course.

natw89

HSC
hmm yess i prob should drop it if i was smart lol...
but i have a tutor so im determined to study more and remember the formulas and do better

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I dropped maths *shrugs* If you're not good at it, you'd be better off doing something where you'll score higher than a passing mark.

AngelBunny`

HSC
I think you should keep it for a while, and see how you adapt to yr12... I found the year12 mm course is a lot more easier to understand. If u need help get a tutor; math is hard when you don't understand it, when you get it it will be easy.

Lani89

HSC
My main concern is that my other subjects which are going well might get worse if i spent heaps of time on maths homework. I am really confused at the moment because some people are telling me to keep it but then some have said to drop it.

Lani89

HSC
Well all my subjects are above average even maths. I could easily just turn up to maths for the lessons but is it really worth it when I could be doing stuff I wanted to do?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Well if you feel that your marks are not going to imporve for maths, and are pretty sure that you can do well in your other subjects without the burden of maths, then drop it. Keep it for a bit to see how you're going, but drop it if it is affecting your other subjects.

AngelBunny`

HSC
Keep it first,see how you do. If you do subjects related to maths like physic and chem. Doing math can give you a better understanding of calculating and solving problems.

Lani89

HSC
Lani89 said:
I have been arguing a lot with my mum on dropping maths. I really don't understand or enjoy it and my last three test results have all been 57%. The only occupation I would consider doing which is slightly related would be in business however I am more interested in creative arts. Mum reckons that if you want to get into uni you have to do maths (even if they are courses not at all related to maths). I don't know what to do coz I feel like I am wasting my time in maths but now i am worried that i will be disadvantaged for not completing maths. I think i would find it too stressful to drop to general as it is a completely different course. I need help.
I dropped maths completely today. I was stressed to tears, literally. I feel so much happier now and all the tertiary course I am interested in don't relate to maths.

JhK89

HSC
if your not going to enjoy it dont do it also if it doesnt affect your course for uni u dun need it :)

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
fishy89sg said:
i have to disagree :O
agreed

lets compare maths to say, economics

economics requires a minimum of say 5 page essays to get high bands..

thats entire 5 pages of fully paragraphed information, not to mention the fact there are TWO essays as well as several short answers, amounting to say 15-20 pages in all

maths .. is not a memorising subject, its a doing subject. Once you do enough questions you wont have to sit there memorising information, you'll just know it.

to reword/repeat : maths isnt a subject where you have to memorise stuff, its a subject where you actually have to DO stuff

Lani89

HSC
GaDaMIt said:
agreed

lets compare maths to say, economics

economics requires a minimum of say 5 page essays to get high bands..

thats entire 5 pages of fully paragraphed information, not to mention the fact there are TWO essays as well as several short answers, amounting to say 15-20 pages in all

maths .. is not a memorising subject, its a doing subject. Once you do enough questions you wont have to sit there memorising information, you'll just know it.

to reword/repeat : maths isnt a subject where you have to memorise stuff, its a subject where you actually have to DO stuff
I disagree. With maths usually there is only one way of finding out answers and if you don't know that rule (note they don't give you formula sheets in maths) you are screwed. However in all of my subjects you can discuss things in many ways requiring you have evidence to support what you are saying.

Personally I found maths very contradictory and boring. I am not pusuing a career in maths or science and I never was really interested. It has been a bit more than 2 weeks since I dropped and I have been much happier. It was not a subject worth crying over.

Affinity

HSC
Lani89 said:
I disagree. With maths usually there is only one way of finding out answers and if you don't know that rule (note they don't give you formula sheets in maths) you are screwed. However in all of my subjects you can discuss things in many ways requiring you have evidence to support what you are saying.

Personally I found maths very contradictory and boring. I am not pusuing a career in maths or science and I never was really interested. It has been a bit more than 2 weeks since I dropped and I have been much happier. It was not a subject worth crying over.
Maybe your impression will change if you did some real mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)