Drop or Stay? (1 Viewer)

dawso98

HSC
I'm currently doing mathematics and extension one mathematics, and am in year twelve. Through prelim and HSC maths has been my weakness, I've constantly considered dropping.

My marks have been low in both subjects, and I didn't pass my extension half yearly. I am right now 95% sure I should drop down to just mathematics. This would leave me with 10 units as I dropped modern history as soon as year twelve started.

Basically I'm looking for opinions. Thought it out, or cut my losses and drop extension?

dawso98

HSC
I'm currently doing mathematics and extension one mathematics, and am in year twelve. Through prelim and HSC maths has been my weakness, I've constantly considered dropping.

My marks have been low in both subjects, and I didn't pass my extension half yearly. I am right now 95% sure I should drop down to just mathematics. This would leave me with 10 units as I dropped modern history as soon as year twelve started.

Basically I'm looking for opinions. Thought it out, or cut my losses and drop extension?

dawso98

HSC
In my half yearlies I got 57% in 2 unit and 37% in three unit. I also just had a two unit assessment and received a 66%.

So no, not good at all. My prelim results were higher, but not amazing

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
In my half yearlies I got 57% in 2 unit and 37% in three unit. I also just had a two unit assessment and received a 66%.

So no, not good at all. My prelim results were higher, but not amazing
Do you take tutoring or approach your maths teacher for help or after school coaching?

dawso98

HSC
I've been getting tutoring since part way through term one this year

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
What is your school rank and your rank in each level of mathematics?

The mark itself doesn't really matter; what matters is your performance against the rest of your cohort because for all we know that would have been a ridiculously difficult exam.

jessnuggets

HSC
I know how you feel! I am currently in this situation as well and my 3 unit marks are far from adequate. To be honest, the only reason why I've decided to keep 3 unit is because of parental pressure which I know sounds silly since it is MY HSC but it's just something I feel more comfortable with than going through the whole dropping process. However, As you said, maths IS your weakest subject and if extension is most likely going to be the unit not counted, I think you're better off dropping it and focusing all of your energy on aceing 2 unit.
:)

dawso98

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm definitely going to drop, it isn't worth the stress.

For those asking in three unit I'm fourth out of four students and in two unit I'm around fourth/fifth out of eight.

Also, why is asking me if I use MIF (what even is that?) going to cause WWIII? Haha plus I'm a girl

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Everyone on the internet is assumed to be a guy unless they state otherwise

dawso98

HSC
Yeah we do use maths in focus for our main textbook at my school. Why was that going to cause a war? haha

Feynman

HSC
Yeah we do use maths in focus for our main textbook at my school. Why was that going to cause a war? haha
A lot of people on this forum say that the questions are too easy. They don't challenge students and won't prepare them well enough for exams.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Guys pls dun h8 mi

A lot of people on this forum say that the questions are too easy. They don't challenge students and won't prepare them well enough for exams.
Pretty much. But let me address some other issues before people explode. Yes you can use maths in focus, BUT it would be advisable to use textbooks such as cambridge which have better questions that prepare you better for exams. HOWEVER, if you use past papers and are able to effectively use the resources you have, then you can still do well.

Sometimes the questions in cambridge are quite difficult to do on your own and a tutor could help you out there. Have you considered tutoring?

Anyway, if you really feel that extension just isn't clicking, then dropping to 2 unit is an option. Make sure you know what legel of maths you will require in your desired uni course. Because some courses at uni are hard to do well in if you don't have the required maths background. If you do 2 unit then you should be ok though.

Last edited:

dawso98

HSC
Thanks guys for the extra advice.

One of the reasons I haven't dropped earlier was the fact that I needed it for what I wanted to do at uni, however I've changed paths now and don't need it. And yes I have an outside tutor who I gets questions and material from other sources then MIF, so I have quite a range. I wasn't actually aware of that opinion. I'm at a rural public school, MIF are the only 2 & 3 unit textbooks we have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)