Dropping a subject (1 Viewer)

BlueGiraffe

HSC
Hey there...
I am really stressing at the moment becasue i don't know what to do about my subjects next year.
I currently do
Adv english
Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Vis. Arts
German beginners
Ext 1 Eng

I'm coming like top 3 in all my subjects... but absolutely hate maths. I really want to drop it, but I want a high UAI and everyone seems to be telling me different things. I really don't get scaling and everything. Also I don't think I'll want maths for uni... so should I put myself through the stress?
Please help...

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
You've got 13 units. You can afford to drop 1-2 units. If you hate math that much and won't use it again I would say drop it.

Your other subjects won't scale terribly. Vis. Arts is probably the worst but again, if you're doing well in everything then drop what will stress you out most.

emozlie

HSC
Hello.. I was thinking the same about dropping maths! I guess if you keep maths you'll have more options at uni, but if you are pretty set on what you want to do (i assume you would be looking at more arts than science degrees by looking at your subjects) then drop it. I'm kinda in the same situation- I'm thinking about picking up an extension, but I'm not sure what to drop for it! Also keep in mind that visual arts has a major work.. Anyway the choice is yours! Goodluck!:)

Haha i forgot to mention, if you have a look at some uni books/websites you can see which subjects you need for what degree. Take a look, and if the majority of them don't need maths, then you might not need it. But if you are unsure its good to have it there just in case!

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueGiraffe

HSC
yeah ok thanks... lol I'm not actually not set on anything a all... but i do know that i don't want to spend the rest of my life doing maths, so yeah I don't know. Lol very stressful. I like my subjects.
I know that I want to go to uni... but after that i'm not too sure.
I have talked to the careers advisor, and he said to flick it. My mum on the other hand...
But thanks yeah.

Last edited:

okhan90

HSC
hey man .. if it were up to me.. like look into what u wanna do in uni, cos u need sometimes for certain courses a subject to be done in yr12, insted of wasting time doing bridging courses..

however, u seem pretty smart coming top 3 in all things, so like i would drop mayb visual arts, keep the others, always make sure u have a back up by doing 12 units, incase once subject u stuff up.. i wish we were allowed to do dat but the skool didnt let us do more then the required units.. anyway gudluck

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
BlueGiraffe said:
yeah ok thanks... lol I'm not actually not set on anything a all... but i do know that i don't want to spend the rest of my life doing maths, so yeah I don't know. Lol very stressful. I like my subjects.
I know that I want to go to uni... but after that i'm not too sure.
I have talked to the careers advisor, and he said to flick it. My mum on the other hand...
But thanks yeah.
Do not listen to your mother.

My mother made me do math in yr 12. It was hell. She now periodically apologises for it.

It might be different in your case but still.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
Tulipa said:
My mother made me do math in yr 12. It was hell.
My mother made me try in "Science" in Yr 12. That was hell.

To be honest do what you feel most comfortable and confident in, there is no point doing something and hating it because if you think about it, its pretty much going to lead to your career-ish and if you hate maths you wouldnt want to end up having a job which is maths related, etc etc etc im pretty much stating the obvious

but DO WHAT YOU WANT, all that "theres no future in wateva wateva" is bs, i did crap in HSC and ended up not needed my UAI at all because there's more than 1 way of getting to somewhere

uni is only ONE way of getting to a position, unless you wanna be a doctor or something like that...but DO MATHS IF U NEED IT FOR A COURSE IN UNI!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)