dropping combined degrees (1 Viewer)

deano059

HSC
if getting into a combined degree such as comm/arts at usyd or business/law at uts

can you drop one of them ie the law or the arts and continue as normal with the other part?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
but you gotta re-apply through uac
Not at all universties - some universities allow you to simply put in a form for 'variation of program' since it isn't a transfer in the strictest sense.

BlackDragon

HSC
deano059 said:
if getting into a combined degree such as comm/arts at usyd or business/law at uts

can you drop one of them ie the law or the arts and continue as normal with the other part?
A combined degree is different from a double degree in that you're doing one mashed degree that vaguely resembles two. So its like changing from any other completely different degree, you have to do it through the official processes of the uni. You can do it any time, it's just that if you do units, and then change degrees, those units may not contribute to that degree and you'll have a higher hecs debt.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
BlackDragon said:
A combined degree is different from a double degree in that you're doing one mashed degree that vaguely resembles two. So its like changing from any other completely different degree, you have to do it through the official processes of the uni. You can do it any time, it's just that if you do units, and then change degrees, those units may not contribute to that degree and you'll have a higher hecs debt.
There is no such distinction - there are degrees that mimic the traits of two (e.g Liberal Studies) but those aren't combined degrees at all they're just degrees. Combined degrees are where two degrees, ie a double degree are studied in one program and thus can be completed more quickly than otherwise possible.

deano059

HSC
kami said:
Not at all universties - some universities allow you to simply put in a form for 'variation of program' since it isn't a transfer in the strictest sense.
do you know if this is possible at the main ones uts/unsw/usyd?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
deano059 said:
I know its possible at UTS, I also suspect its possible at MQ but I'm not sure on that count.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
BlackDragon said:
lol, what are you on?

A double degree IS a combined degree. You may be getting mixed up with Concurrent.

deano059 said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can just simply drop your unwanted degree by filling out a form, there shouldn't be a penalty to go from harder to easier.

sezy_jane

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
A double degree IS a combined degree. You may be getting mixed up with Concurrent.
i'm not sure about other unis but melb uni certainly does combined degrees - for example you can do 'arts and science' or arts/science. with 'arts and science' you graduate with one degree rather than two, hecs is less and it doesn't add an extra year onto the course like a double degree would.

(btw i only know this coz i have a friend doing the 'arts and science' degree there, i'm not at melb uni myself so i don't know how common it is to have these degrees...but they do exist)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
sezy_jane said:
i'm not sure about other unis but melb uni certainly does combined degrees - for example you can do 'arts and science' or arts/science. with 'arts and science' you graduate with one degree rather than two, hecs is less and it doesn't add an extra year onto the course like a double degree would.

(btw i only know this coz i have a friend doing the 'arts and science' degree there, i'm not at melb uni myself so i don't know how common it is to have these degrees...but they do exist)
I think we had this covered:

kami said:
There is no such distinction - there are degrees that mimic the traits of two (e.g Liberal Studies) but those aren't combined degrees at all they're just degrees. Combined degrees are where two degrees, ie a double degree are studied in one program and thus can be completed more quickly than otherwise possible.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, but what you mentioned was a generic degree, as opposed to a combined one.

Combined/Double degrees = You graduate with two degrees, and the course will be B degree 1/ B Degree 2 ie, B Arts/B Sci.

The B Arts and Science is just one degree. Its not a Combined degree, but has elements of Arts and Science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)