dropping from advanced to standard maths (1 Viewer)

mikaelafraserr

HSC
hi everyone,
So I am currently in year 11 and doing advanced maths, I am understanding the content quite well but I am finding it hard to apply this knowledge into exam questions. My marks have been pretty low all year but I think this is because I was not putting in the required amount of work. I am considering dropping to standard maths but my worries are that it scales low and that it will take up a lot of time to learn all of the preliminary content. I feel like if I put a lot of effort into maths for year 12 I could get my marks up, but this is risky as I may not get the marks I need.
I am currently doing:
English Advanced
Maths Advanced
Modern
Legal
Music 2
Economics
Do you think if I drop to standard this will impact a lot on my marks? I'm really not sure what to do lol helpppp please

elobski

HSC
to be honest i think your best bet would be to drop legal studies if you're worried about scaling unless you know you can manage the amount of time and energy required to excel at that subject. keeping advanced maths and all your other subjects will give you a really good foundation of subjects to allow you to do well in your hsc, especially considering the amount of time you'll save by not doing legal. all you need in order to get better exam results for maths is to hone your exam technique by doing timed past papers and such. ultimately, it is your choice so i wish you good luck either way :)

mikaelafraserr

HSC
to be honest i think your best bet would be to drop legal studies if you're worried about scaling unless you know you can manage the amount of time and energy required to excel at that subject. keeping advanced maths and all your other subjects will give you a really good foundation of subjects to allow you to do well in your hsc, especially considering the amount of time you'll save by not doing legal. all you need in order to get better exam results for maths is to hone your exam technique by doing timed past papers and such. ultimately, it is your choice so i wish you good luck either way :)
omg wait ik u

Jolteon

HSC
Personally, putting aside scaling, if you enjoy adv maths I think you should keep it since the syllabus for standard maths is a little different. If you are also unsure of what course you wish to study at uni, adv maths is a safer choice since there are pre reqs for certain degrees (or at least recommended subjects i.e. engineering / health sciences)
Someone once said to me, because of how low general maths scales, you might as well drop maths as a whole.
However, this might be different with the new syllabus.

Best of luck!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
When you say: "I am understanding the content quite well but I am finding it hard to apply this knowledge into exam questions", you may be kidding yourself. I have the feeling you do not understand the content well. I do not mean to discourage you. I hope you do not have to drop to Standard since Advanced (so- called!) may prove useful to the course you may wish to pursue later. Besides, the contents of Standard are quite different, and you have to spend time learning new stuff. Better spend that time improving yourself. I think you have been approaching your maths the wrong way. You should get help from people who can help you - not necessarily just anyone who is good at maths.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
Do the textbooks you get from start to finish and lots of past papers. There will be absolutely no way that you won't know how to apply the knowledge to questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)