Dropping Japanese Continuers for Physics in HSC? (1 Viewer)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I don't know which one I should drop. I'm definitley going to drop Ext. English next year, but I'm not too sure which one of the two I should drop to get me down to 10 units. I think my parents want me to do 10 units for the HSC, but I don't mind doing 12. What's it like doing 12 Units for the HSC? Is it more stressful?

I was thinking earlier this year on dropping Physics and keeping Japanese Continuers and maybe doing Japanese Extension just to see what it's like. But after I got 90% in my Physics Half Yearly and I didn't really study for that exam, so I'm not too sure anymore. And I just played around on the SAM and it looks as if Physics scales better than Japanese Continuers. So in the end, is Japanese really worth the effort?

What do you guys think?

HSC
If you're even considering doing extension Japanese you are probably quite apt at Continuers so you shouldn't drop that. But in saying that you seem to be just as good at physics. So I would advise you to keep both until you can decide (you might even change your mind and drop one of your other subjects!)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I'm also thinking of doing 4U Maths...
So you think I should both subjects and just drop them whenever in Year 12? Japanese is kinda hard for me, but my parents have paid for tutoring courses and I don't want to drop it...

bored of sc

HSC
drop what you wanna drop, not what your parents want

justmeme

HSC
N/A
you dont ahve to drop either of them. if your doing well at both, keep them both.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
I don't know which one I should drop. I'm definitley going to drop Ext. English next year, but I'm not too sure which one of the two I should drop to get me down to 10 units. I think my parents want me to do 10 units for the HSC, but I don't mind doing 12. What's it like doing 12 Units for the HSC? Is it more stressful?

I was thinking earlier this year on dropping Physics and keeping Japanese Continuers and maybe doing Japanese Extension just to see what it's like. But after I got 90% in my Physics Half Yearly and I didn't really study for that exam, so I'm not too sure anymore. And I just played around on the SAM and it looks as if Physics scales better than Japanese Continuers. So in the end, is Japanese really worth the effort?

What do you guys think?
You are only in the 2nd term of your Preliminary year. You would never know what can happen during and after this term. You may change your mind. My suggestion is that you should see how you are going by the end of this year, and drop subjects that you don't feel like continuing (due to poor results, large amount of workload and lack of interest).

By the way, you don't need to have 10 Units. It may prove useful but having 12 Units would not hurt you. I am quite likely to have 16 Units of work next year and I wouldn't mind that as I am equally good at all my subjects (however, I can change my mind).

P.S. Japanese Continuers has the higher scaling than Physics (according to last year's scaling report). Japanese Extension has pretty good scaling (much higher than that of Physics). However, I do not recommend that you choose subjects based on scaling. If you don't like the subject, it is that subject that you should drop.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
I'm also thinking of doing 4U Maths...
So you think I should both subjects and just drop them whenever in Year 12? Japanese is kinda hard for me, but my parents have paid for tutoring courses and I don't want to drop it...
If you parents want good UAI from you, they should let you choose subjects that you are truly adept at. If Japanese is hard for you, why do you even consider doing Japanese Extension?

If it is hard for you and if you don't get the marks for it, you should consider dropping it and picking up Mathematics Extension 2 (then you will have 10 Units as you wished).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you're doing well at both, I'd keep both.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Keep them both but if you find you are doing shit in oe of them next year you can drop it then.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
If you parents want good UAI from you, they should let you choose subjects that you are truly adept at. If Japanese is hard for you, why do you even consider doing Japanese Extension?

If it is hard for you and if you don't get the marks for it, you should consider dropping it and picking up Mathematics Extension 2 (then you will have 10 Units as you wished).
lol, what I meant to say was Japanese gets hard sometimes, but usually it's pretty easy. I don't mind doing 12 Units, but I think my sisters + parents will complain that I'm doing 12 Units instead of 10. People usually say that you should have 10 Units because you can focus better, but on the other hand you should do 12 because you need a back up..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)