Dropping Modern then down to 10 Units...Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey,

I'm not sure if any of you remember my previous thread about my modern teacher that is constantly away. Well anyway basically if you haven't here it goes:

During prelim our Modern teacher got very sick and had to take most of term 2 and 3 off and while that happened we were given a whole range of unqualified replacements that acted rather inappropriately.

Now the same problems are occurring which also happens to affect the Economics and Extension History classes.

I also do Extension history so i am concerned about both it and modern. I'm kind of in two minds whether or not to drop it and I was wondering if you could give any advice?

I mean I do have good marks in modern but i don't really actually know all that much due to not having been taught anything and I'm getting worried. I'm thinking maybe it would be just better to get rid of it and just focus on my other subjects. However, I will be down to 10 units if i drop.

If you want to know my half yearly results (if you feel that will) just ask.

EDIT:

My results are:
Half-Yearly Overall (thus far)

Advanced English- 95% - rank 1/65 98% - rank 1/65
Extension English - 84% - rank 1/12 92% - rank 1/12
Studies of Religion II - 98% - rank 1/22 98% - rank1/22
Legal Studies - 94% - rank 1/22 97% - rank 1/22
Ancient History - 99% - rank 1/24 99% - rank 1/24
Extension History 84% - rank1/7 95ish -rank 1/7

and
Modern History 85% - rank 1/12 92%

Last edited:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Depends how confident you are in your other 10 units.
I'd advise not to, unless you're finding it hard to cope with the work.

runnable

HSC
slowjam10 said:
If you want to know my half yearly results (if you feel that will) just ask.

Lol you might wanna just tell us, its wasting time asking, then replying.... And maybe you can provide cumulative results if thats possible, cuz half-yearlies is not the most accurate thing you have atm.

slowjam10

HSC
u-borat said:
Depends how confident you are in your other 10 units.
I'd advise not to, unless you're finding it hard to cope with the work.
yeah seee that's why its such a hard decision.. But teh reason i want to drop modern is becuase we literally haven't been taught anything correctly. Like we have been given wrong dates for events and names of people and an assignemnt which we haven't been taught anything about.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Yeah, and if you have crap teachers, and you raelly want to do the subject, you're just going to have to buy a few textbooks, get the syllabus and teach yourself.
Or hire a tutor.
And get some decent exam papers off other schools for example.
etc etc.

JJBearPaw

HSC
It wont really effect your UAI result if you do badly in the exam for Modern if you have 12 units anyway, but if you do self study and your assessment results are alright then it might be handy to continue doing it just as a backup.

Is the workload stressing you out? If it is, then dropping it might be a good idea.
But dont drop it just because you dont think you know enough, because you could get a tutor/look up what you have to learn and teach yourself, for the exmas.

slowjam10

HSC
JJBearPaw said:
It wont really effect your UAI result if you do badly in the exam for Modern if you have 12 units anyway, but if you do self study and your assessment results are alright then it might be handy to continue doing it just as a backup.

Is the workload stressing you out? If it is, then dropping it might be a good idea.
But dont drop it just because you dont think you know enough, because you could get a tutor/look up what you have to learn and teach yourself, for the exmas.
yeah I don't know its so up in the air. I mean i could teach myself but that's basically what I already have to do in all my other subjects because our teachers (most of them anyway) just don't know what they're doing or really don't give a damn.

Also, I have Extension History to teach myself as that's supposed to be the same teacher as Modern.

so yea...

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Firstly, nice job =)

Secondly, I think it'd be a waste if you drop extension history + modern, because those are one of your subjects that scale you well.

However, if you have no confidence in maintaining a good score even after perhaps getting a tutor, then you should drop it.

HSC
Im sorry to be a bitch, but are you trying to boast obv you fine doing your own study it doesnt seem like no teacher is affecting you, dont drop just stick to it.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Just a random comment from trolling a few threads; there seems to be a tendency to think the worst of everyone's posts...

slowjam10

HSC
the name i want said:
Im sorry to be a bitch, but are you trying to boast obv you fine doing your own study it doesnt seem like no teacher is affecting you, dont drop just stick to it.
No actually i was asking for advice.

Just becuase a teacher may be hopeless Im not going to just sit there and get shit marks for it.

It seems to get any sympathy you have to be doing shit. But you know people can be disadvantaged and be able overcome their adversity.

Just becuase you do well dosen't mean the disadvantges aren't there.

lionking1191

HSC
i'd say don't drop. you are already halfway through the course and you are coming first so far. the hsc is too important to take a risk with 10U

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
keep it. honestly, if you're doing as well as you are in a situation like your own, keep it. you must know a decent amount to be getting marks and ranks as you are. with a little more in depth self study and possibly a tutor, you should push up into the 90's no problem.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
yeah man
keep it. and get a few textbooks and exam papers frm diff schools

Lebstr

HSC
i honestly think u just wonted to post ur marks. u get 90s and strt crying like a bitch "oh i wanna drop it" grow up idiot

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Lebstr said:
i honestly think u just wonted to post ur marks. u get 90s and strt crying like a bitch "oh i wanna drop it" grow up idiot
^ thats rude. its a legitimate concern; when your teacher is absent for such a long time, you begin to wonder if your marks are just flukes, or subs marking soft, and when you're compared to the rest of the state they'll be mediocre.

yes, theyre good marks, but with a teachers absence for so long in the crucial pre-lim stage, you have to wonder if you can continue to perform that well and indeed perform that well in your hsc.

slowjam10

HSC
Lebstr said:
I think you're the one that needs the growing up

and if you read the entire post someone asked me for my marks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I didn't know you could drop subject half way through the HSC year. If you can drop, drop the subject that you are least good at or that you least like. Good luck.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
I didn't know you could drop subject half way through the HSC year. If you can drop, drop the subject that you are least good at or that you least like. Good luck.
you can drop a subject right until the HSC exams at our school. I dont think anyone has ever done it that close though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)