Dropping Physics (1 Viewer)

MyHeadee

HSC
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I should drop physics. I have a very very good teacher, but my marks in it are quite appalling, but I haven't done much work in the subject, (although I haven't done too much for the other subjects either) so it does make sense. my marks for other subjects so far are:
English Ext: 45/50 - 1st
English Advanced: 90/100 - 3rd
Maths Ext 2: N/A (No assessments yet)
Maths Ext 1: 95/100 - 2nd
Maths Advanced Accelerated 2020 : 92/100 (very bad, I know, I could've studied a lot more)
Chemistry: 93/100 - 1st
Economics: 90/100 - 3rd
Physics: 79/100 - 3rd
With these marks my predicted atar is around 97.2, which is nowhere near where I want it to be, but I know I can improve, and by a lot.
I don't particularly enjoy physics, but I don't hate it either. Our school last year had the highest physics mark of 89/100 (but 2020 was by far the shittest year for our year, usually the highest is around 95-96). I'm aiming for an atar around 99.5, just as a good goal. I go to a rural school usually which ranks around 170 (usually my school gets 2 or 3 kids around this atar; 99.5 the only exception being 2020, which was like I said before, was appalling).
Thoughts? Thanks.

vernburn

HSC
How many people get Physics B6s each year usually? Check on hsc ninja.

Are you just plugging these marks into an ATAR calculator to get your predicted ATAR of 97.2 because it looks like it would be higher (considering you are near the top of every subject you do and therefore near the top of your cohort)?

Now with relation to dropping physics, it doesn’t seem like you are particularly passionate about it (which will effect how willing you are to study it) and your marks in it aren’t to the same level as your other subjects (although your rank is still 3rd so the assessments so far may just be a lot harder than other subjects). However, if I were in this position I would still keep it and see how I went throughout the year - could be a useful backup later on if you stuff up one of your other subjects (but this is just my opinion). It is really up to you how you feel about all your other subjects and whether you think you are up to keeping Physics vs dropping it.

Hope this helps!

Everwinter

HSC
Go to raw mark database, in hsc, the raw mark will adjust into hsc marks (which is usually a lot higher) for the calculation of atar in the atar calculator, it will no longer be 97.2 once you consider the adjustment.

For physics, since you are still third, you really should check how many band 6 your school produce on physics each year, low internal marks does not necessarily mean low hsc marks, because they are really depending on the teachers that are marking them and the difficulties of the questions. In my personal experience in a public comprehensive school, the subjects that have good teachers usually have a lower mean and highest mark, because they mark it harsher. So you can only judge it once you understand the situation in your school.

Additionally, rank is more important and internal school marks really can't be used to predict your atar. A mark of 90 is not equivalent in selective schools and public comprehensive schools.

MyHeadee

HSC
How many people get Physics B6s each year usually? Check on hsc ninja.

Are you just plugging these marks into an ATAR calculator to get your predicted ATAR of 97.2 because it looks like it would be higher (considering you are near the top of every subject you do and therefore near the top of your cohort)?

Now with relation to dropping physics, it doesn’t seem like you are particularly passionate about it (which will effect how willing you are to study it) and your marks in it aren’t to the same level as your other subjects (although your rank is still 3rd so the assessments so far may just be a lot harder than other subjects). However, if I were in this position I would still keep it and see how I went throughout the year - could be a useful backup later on if you stuff up one of your other subjects (but this is just my opinion). It is really up to you how you feel about all your other subjects and whether you think you are up to keeping Physics vs dropping it.

Hope this helps!
I reckon being a bit pessimistic with the prediction is a better way to go lol, and I think ill be near the top in my cohort, probs 3rd or 4th, our dux is destined to get 99.9 minimum, kinda like you. Shes a freak, 99 in accelerated math, and that was without much effort.
Usually we get only around 2 to 3 band 6s, but considering the strength of our cohort (I reckon its the strongest in like 5 or 6 years) it could be more, also not public, private school, regional tho so that's why its so low ranked in the state (farm kids lmao).
And yeah I'm not too passionate, but you reckon I should keep it to see how I go?

MyHeadee

HSC
Lol what uni course you tryna do
Medicine, rural though, so I could scab a spot from the metro kids xD, nah but I reckon if I grind hard enough I can get above 99 or so, fingers crossed for UCAT, approx above 80 is considered competitive for rural kids, my brothers got in with 82 (UMAT tho) so I hope I can maybe get that?

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Medicine, rural though, so I could scab a spot from the metro kids xD, nah but I reckon if I grind hard enough I can get above 99 or so, fingers crossed for UCAT, approx above 80 is considered competitive for rural kids, my brothers got in with 82 (UMAT tho) so I hope I can maybe get that?
Ah I was gonna ask why you aiming for super duper high ATAR but understandable lol

dumNerd

HSC
If your rural you will get med easily

idkkdi

HSC
I reckon being a bit pessimistic with the prediction is a better way to go lol, and I think ill be near the top in my cohort, probs 3rd or 4th, our dux is destined to get 99.9 minimum, kinda like you. Shes a freak, 99 in accelerated math, and that was without much effort.
Usually we get only around 2 to 3 band 6s, but considering the strength of our cohort (I reckon its the strongest in like 5 or 6 years) it could be more, also not public, private school, regional tho so that's why its so low ranked in the state (farm kids lmao).
And yeah I'm not too passionate, but you reckon I should keep it to see how I go?
just a word of caution. with new syllabus u gotta lowball atars according to recent scaling data. it varies quite a bit and on average predictions are lower for the same aligned scores in new syllabus for people doing sciences, (haven't dug around in maths data).

Also, normally, I think cohorts kinda think they're better than they are. so once agin, maybe lowball a bit.

bigwilly69

HSC
Hi MyHeadee,

Hope you’re keeping well. After a deep analysis of your results I have come to the conclusion that it would be in your best interest to keep all 13 units, following that ‘very bad’ accelerated result.
Alternatively, I would advise dropping extension I English, as it sucks lmao

Soggiest of Regards,
bigwilly69

idkkdi

HSC
Hi MyHeadee,

Hope you’re keeping well. After a deep analysis of your results I have come to the conclusion that it would be in your best interest to keep all 13 units, following that ‘very bad’ accelerated result.

Soggiest of Regards,
bigwilly69
that username LOL

MarkHIsGod

HSC
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I should drop physics. I have a very very good teacher, but my marks in it are quite appalling, but I haven't done much work in the subject, (although I haven't done too much for the other subjects either) so it does make sense. my marks for other subjects so far are:
English Ext: 45/50 - 1st
English Advanced: 90/100 - 3rd
Maths Ext 2: N/A (No assessments yet)
Maths Ext 1: 95/100 - 2nd
Maths Advanced Accelerated 2020 : 92/100 (very bad, I know, I could've studied a lot more)
Chemistry: 93/100 - 1st
Economics: 90/100 - 3rd
Physics: 79/100 - 3rd
With these marks my predicted atar is around 97.2, which is nowhere near where I want it to be, but I know I can improve, and by a lot.
I don't particularly enjoy physics, but I don't hate it either. Our school last year had the highest physics mark of 89/100 (but 2020 was by far the shittest year for our year, usually the highest is around 95-96). I'm aiming for an atar around 99.5, just as a good goal. I go to a rural school usually which ranks around 170 (usually my school gets 2 or 3 kids around this atar; 99.5 the only exception being 2020, which was like I said before, was appalling).
Thoughts? Thanks.
While the Advanced result was abysmal, yours marks elsewhere indicate it was an unusual occurrence (perhaps pressure or personal problems). It must be quite frustrating to be under the shadow of such a difficult target however with at least 6 hours of study each evening as well as early morning study sessions, I can see this becoming an achievable goal. Try not to let the pressure placed on you by your smarter brothers weigh you down as you strive towards you own worthy goals.

All the best! ;)

Mark

vernburn

HSC
While the Advanced result was abysmal, yours marks elsewhere indicate it was an unusual occurrence (perhaps pressure or personal problems). It must be quite frustrating to be under the shadow of such a difficult target however with at least 6 hours of study each evening as well as early morning study sessions, I can see this becoming an achievable goal. Try not to let the pressure placed on you by your smarter brothers weigh you down as you strive towards you own worthy goals.

All the best! ;)
Mark
Abysmal is a bit harsh lol

idkkdi

HSC

All the best! ;)

Mark
though this is a troll post.
but for above average people doing ext 2, adv 92, is actually something 'abysmal' to them usually.

MyHeadee

HSC

All the best! ;)

Mark
Thanks shag, or lach. x

idkkdi

HSC

All the best! ;)

Mark
i call him less of a troll more of a funny cutie who is 194cm tall, has a sister (O_O), lives in a rural town and is a joy on this earth
Hi MyHeadee,

Soggiest of Regards,
bigwilly69
how many alts u planning to make?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)