dropping subjects in yr 11 to 12 (1 Viewer)

studynoob

HSC
N/A
im in yr11 and i do the subjects:
- english (advanced)
- maths (2 units)
- modern history
- business studies
- information process and technology
- software design and developments

im and mostly dropping one subject and doing 10 units to study more this is what my yr12 subjects will look like:
- english (standard)
- maths (2 units)
- modern history
- business studies

if i get like 80%+ in all six subjects i presume i get like 85-90 uai but i am doing 5 this time the question is will my uai get downgraded because i do 5 instead of 6 subjects even though the marks are like 80%+ and does english advanced and standard have any difference on the uai???

i heard advanced has a area of futher english studies whilist standard is much simpler since i am not that into english criterias and such!

studynoob

HSC
N/A
oh another question:
since i am dropping software design and development (which i am doing bad i hate the subject) does it really matter if i fail THAT subject or do i have to still pass that and all subjects in order to get into year 12???

HSC
over half the year dropped SDD for me, the numbers went from 48 (year 11 yearlies) to 23 (trials)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
No, the number of subjects you do does not affect your UAI. 10 of units count towards your final mark but some people have 12 because they want a safety net they can fall back on. You're doing 10 units, which means you can't afford to stuff up any of them, as they will all be counted towards your UAI.

Well, standard would be somewhat simpler than advanced. I don't know much about the standard course, but advanced scales better. If you're not having major english troubles, you should do advanced if you have the chance.

You don't have to pass all your subjects to get into year 12. I think you just get a non-award for software and design, and it won't be on your list of completed preliminary courses.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
miss_gtr said:
Advanced and Standard are scaled the same.
Well haven't I been misinformed. :confused:

EDIT: On SAM, english advanced does not scale at all, while english standard scales down.

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
studynoob said:
im and mostly dropping one subject and doing 10 units to study more this is what my yr12 subjects will look like:
- english (standard)
- maths (2 units)
- modern history
- business studies

if i get like 80%+ in all six subjects i presume i get like 85-90 uai
i do all those subjects + chemistry and extension maths and i think 80s in them would equate to around 83-84 (excluding those two extra subjects i do cause they scale well) becoz they r shit scaling subjects, especially ipt

tennille

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Well haven't I been misinformed. :confused:

EDIT: On SAM, english advanced does not scale at all, while english standard scales down.
I was looking a the scaling over the past 3 years for English Advanced and Standard, and according to that, they scale the same. But I'm not sure.

Pace_T

HSC
English standard and advanced scale the same but it's much harder to get the same mark as advanced when you do standard

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Pace_T said:
English standard and advanced scale the same but it's much harder to get the same mark as advanced when you do standard
Crapness. I've never had a taste of standard english, and I hate advanced english with a burning passion.

A l

HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
You don't have to pass all your subjects to get into year 12. I think you just get a non-award for software and design, and it won't be on your list of completed preliminary courses.
Actually, if you get an N award for one of your subjects, which are within your minimum units of study, then it is declared that you HAVE NOT COMPLETED THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE PRELIMINARY COURSE and hence you cannot go onto the HSC course. One of the requirements of the Preliminary course is to SATISFACTORILY complete AT LEAST 12 units of study. Since studynoob is only doing 12 units, then he must at least satisfactorily complete ALL these units in order to qualify for the HSC course. All that is needed is a pass. DON'T FAIL any courses that are within the minimum units of study.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
I do standard english!!! i was never really that bad at english in junior years. I was only ever in the top english class, but i chose standard simply coz you dont have to study shakespere. :):) I come first in everything, its like, year 9 english. Piss easy. You know what? my last assessment task is english, this friday, and its a... get this... its a listening and viewing task! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH it means you get a sheet with short answer questions, watch a "program" and answer the questions! LOLOLOL theres no way you can study for it my teacher says.

only one person in the history of my school has gotten a band 6 in standard english, my teacher says im her 'great white hope'. everyone thinks im erally smart, but its just that they're all so friggen dumb.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
shellybelly087 said:
I do standard english!!! i was never really that bad at english in junior years. I was only ever in the top english class, but i chose standard simply coz you dont have to study shakespere. :):) I come first in everything, its like, year 9 english. Piss easy. You know what? my last assessment task is english, this friday, and its a... get this... its a listening and viewing task! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH it means you get a sheet with short answer questions, watch a "program" and answer the questions! LOLOLOL theres no way you can study for it my teacher says.

only one person in the history of my school has gotten a band 6 in standard english, my teacher says im her 'great white hope'. everyone thinks im erally smart, but its just that they're all so friggen dumb.
Shellybelly, please limit your bragging to one sentence per post. Not only is your attitude discouraging to others, but also of little assistance.

While it is great that you are proud of your achievements, it is rude and inappropriate to address those who don't perform as well as you "dumb". I don't mean to sound condescending, because ranking first in any subject is worth congratulating, but your level of english studied is standard. My friend who studies english extension 2 has recieved full marks (or one mark less than full marks) for every assessment this year in extension 2, extension 1 and english advanced - yet he is willing to assist others with no sign of arrogance.

Comments like this, and posting in the acne thread boasting your perfect skin is extremely rude. I suggest you try being a little more modest.

Last edited:
HSC
I was going well in english (1) in year 9/10, i got like averaging 80%, and in my SC i got 59%, the year 10 english and year 11/12 english have barely any similarities, they threw out the whole comprehension that was in the old english courses

its the way they mark is why nobody gets band 6 in english, if you people think nobody in the state is good enough, you're shitting yourself, its like saying out of 32000 standard english students, not 1 belongs in advanced or even extension 1 english

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Casmira said:
I was going well in english (1) in year 9/10, i got like averaging 80%, and in my SC i got 59%, the year 10 english and year 11/12 english have barely any similarities, they threw out the whole comprehension that was in the old english courses
Yeah, in years 9 and 10, I used to crap my way through to full marks, every time. I didn't even know how I did it. It was in year 11 that my crapping lost its brilliant effects. :( Now I have to slave away for days just for a 14/15... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)