Dropping Subjects (Yr 12) (1 Viewer)

agua.fuego

HSC
Hey all.
My parents have started in on me about the "You should drop these subjects" and, really, I'm not too sure which I should keep or drop. What do you think? I want to go into Journalism if it makes any difference.
My Subjects:

~Textiles (2U)
~Spanish (2U done Distance Ed)
~Legal Studies (2U)
~Ancient History (2U)
~Advanced/Extension English (3U)
~Studies of Religion (1U)

I'm also planning on picking up Extension 2 English.

Thanks heaps.

HSC
Drop the one you are worst at / like the least. The only thing that really applies to journalism is english I imagine...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
Drop the one you are worst at / like the least. The only thing that really applies to journalism is english I imagine...
I can see Legal Studies and Ancient History applying to journalism.

lionking1191

HSC
high school subjects have very small relevance as to your future career path

journalism has no pre-requisites or assumed knowledge that i know of, it doesn't matter what you do, just pick the ones you like/are good at .

HSC
Aplus said:
I can see Legal Studies and Ancient History applying to journalism.
Ah yeah I suppose I took a narrow view of it when replying. You're right, it can apply in some cases.

selablad

HSC
Are there any that take up way too much of your time? Or are boring? Or you're failing? I guess it doesn't matter that much, wouldn't Journalism just want Englishes (hmm that's not a word, oh well)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you don't enjoy Textiles, you should drop it.

agua.fuego

HSC
kaz1 said:
Textiles doesn't really apply to journalism.

I don't know, Fashion Journalism could be fun. Ish.

Um... in regards to failing or whatever. I'm not too sure. I'm doing OK in all, I've been away for so long! I'll post up my marks when I get my half-yearlies back.

HSC
lionking1191 said:
high school subjects have very small relevance as to your future career path

journalism has no pre-requisites or assumed knowledge that i know of, it doesn't matter what you do, just pick the ones you like/are good at .

agua.fuego

HSC
OK.

And then, is it possible to pick up 2U RE? I'm doing 1U now as I said. I want to drop Spanish as well... Mum and Dad are harping at me "DROP TEXTILES" so... well... yeah...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Might be a bit late, don't you think? I'm not sure how much content difference is between SOR1 and SOR2, but it might be a tad late.

agua.fuego

HSC
Aerath said:
Might be a bit late, don't you think? I'm not sure how much content difference is between SOR1 and SOR2, but it might be a tad late.
True. Sigh. Who knows?? I'll do Ext. History, then. I guess. :S

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
agua.fuego said:
OK.

And then, is it possible to pick up 2U RE? I'm doing 1U now as I said. I want to drop Spanish as well... Mum and Dad are harping at me "DROP TEXTILES" so... well... yeah...
No. It's not possible. SOR II has double the content that the SOR I contains. The contents are basically same (however, SOR I people only do two religions and SOR II people learn about 4 religions.

agua.fuego

HSC
lyounamu said:
No. It's not possible. SOR II has double the content that the SOR I contains. The contents are basically same (however, SOR I people only do two religions and SOR II people learn about 4 religions.
Ahh OK.

CaityJane08

HSC
agua.fuego said:
Hey all.
My parents have started in on me about the "You should drop these subjects" and, really, I'm not too sure which I should keep or drop. What do you think? I want to go into Journalism if it makes any difference.
My Subjects:

~Textiles (2U)
~Spanish (2U done Distance Ed)
~Legal Studies (2U)
~Ancient History (2U)
~Advanced/Extension English (3U)
~Studies of Religion (1U)

I'm also planning on picking up Extension 2 English.

Thanks heaps.
Wow. finally i found someone in the same boat as me. I've been thinking the exact same thing AND i wanna do journalism! Well i personally reckon im gonna keep 3-unit english, pick up ext 2, keep legal and keep ancient. I have a few friends who do textiles and they love it. If you enjoy it then you should keep it. That gives u 11 units for year 12 i think? depending on how much work u wanna do, u could probably keep all your subjects. But if you wanna focus on even one less then if u can u should probably drop religion, as i don't really think it'll contribute to any future journalistic career paths. Spanish would be good as it can assist you if you plan to be a foreign correspondant or something like that. But at the end of the day it comes down to you and how well you think you can preform in all your subjects. Are there any that will let you down?
As long as you do really well in all your english classes, you should be fine.
Good luck
P.S Sorry about my bad spelling and such, but its late and im not really concentrating.lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)