• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

dropping subjects (1 Viewer)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
yinyin said:
hey i have a question
what if you have 11unit?
what happens you stuff up one 2 unit course? then one u nit is in the compulsry 10unit and one unit is not?
thnx
They split up that 2 unit subject into 2 separate units, and then will use one of those units in the calculation of your UAI.

HSC
I am planning to drop maths next year, I hate it as a subject and my class really sucks. Im failing it (44% in half yearly exam) and regret picking it for year 11. However, a teacher told me it is reccomended that i do it for my choice of career. At the moment I am dong 13 units and plan to pick up extension history. Should I keep maths as a backup subject, even tho i hate it?

live.fast

HSC
N/A
DONT DROP MUSIC!!!

im doing music too, n i was finkin of dropping it....but i tell ya wat, u alwaiz need a subject in all ur subjects dat helps ya relax, a eaasy subject 2 cruise thru...n i dont mean in marks...keep it like a care-free subject, do da prac, dont do da hmwrk, n just do awesome in ur other subjects...dat way, derz less workload overall for ya in ur hsc, less stress, more fun, and u can concentrate on gettin da marks in ur other subjects, where it REALLLY counts!

=)

oh and damian...

dooont do 4 unit maths!!! im trying to turn you away from da daaark path here...stay wif me bro!!! don't take dat horrible horrible road...you're gonna end up all disfigured, eyes burnt out, hands deformed, head bigger den a beach ball....

im trying 2 save u m8!!!

DONT DO IT!!

=)

drop da maths. if u dont liek it, dont do it. no matter wat anyone else says. if u suck at sumfink, u dont do it.

its good advice! =)

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
live.fast said:
drop da maths. if u dont liek it, dont do it. no matter wat anyone else says. if u suck at sumfink, u dont do it.

its good advice! =)
Well I guess you're dropping english then...

SoulSearcher

HSC
makedamnsure101 said:
I am planning to drop maths next year, I hate it as a subject and my class really sucks. Im failing it (44% in half yearly exam) and regret picking it for year 11. However, a teacher told me it is reccomended that i do it for my choice of career. At the moment I am dong 13 units and plan to pick up extension history. Should I keep maths as a backup subject, even tho i hate it?
What career path are you thinking of? If maths is not required for that career, then you should drop it in year 12 and focus on your other units and doing well in all of them. That should be better for you than wasting 2 units on a subject that you hate.

HSC
i want to be a english and history teacher; they are my best subjects and i really love them.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
makedamnsure101 said:
i want to be a english and history teacher; they are my best subjects and i really love them.
Now I can understand your love for history (Modern\Ancient) but a love for English </3, well that’s another story altogether - wait till HSC and we shall see if your love continues.

About dropping general mathematics, I would say wait till the end of the year do a little of HSC GM and see how that works out, do study, work out a timetable, complete all homework, asks questions etc and you should be able to improve your results.

live.fast - can you please refrain from using txt/1337speech as it is rather hard to read and takes value away from your post, if spelling\grammar is a problem, try copying your posts into word etc before posting them...

SoulSearcher is still in shock about someone wanting to drop maths...

Last edited:

live.fast

HSC
N/A
drop maths...its for ur own good...trust meeeee!!!

=)

(but if u fail ur hsc n uai ends up being -43.76 den not my fault! )

K o k o

The Calling
HSC
I need a bit of advice here.
My current subjects are english, maths, business st, biology, chemistry & hospitality.

It's a toss up between chem & hospitality (to drop)...i'm not really enjoying chem & i'm getting average marks arount the 75% mark & i quite like hospitality but since it's a B subject, i'm not sure if it'll be any good for my UAI.

Just wondering if anyone did hospitality for the HSC & what marks they got in the test.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
You are allowed to have one category B subject which can go towards your UAI, thus not affecting your UAI. With that in mind if you are going to drop a subject then demanding on your chemistry marks that could be it and remember you don't have to drop a subject. Hope that eases the decision! :)

HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
Now I can understand your love for history (Modern\Ancient) but a love for English </3, well that’s another story altogether - wait till HSC and we shall see if your love continues.
About dropping general mathematics, I would say wait till the end of the year do a little of HSC GM and see how that works out, do study, work out a timetable, complete all homework, asks questions etc and you should be able to improve your results.
The thing is if i keep maths that means i will have 14 units and i don't think i will be able to cope. I'm in a really bad class at the moment and i can not be motivated. As for english extension; it's my favourite class, the teacher is great and the class it self is really good.

Without Wings - are you sure?

Sofstar

HSC
Should we drop the subject we're doing the worst in but have to do it for uni purposes, or the one you hate the most but getting better marks than the subject you gotta do for uni? :confused:

SoulSearcher

HSC
Sofstar said:
Should we drop the subject we're doing the worst in but have to do it for uni purposes, or the one you hate the most but getting better marks than the subject you gotta do for uni? :confused:
Unless the subject is a pre-requisite for the university course, then you don't necessarily have to do it in the HSC year.

Sofstar

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Unless the subject is a pre-requisite for the university course, then you don't necessarily have to do it in the HSC year.
It is a pre-req.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
There are very very few courses which list HSC subjects as actual prerequisites. At the moment, I believe Education/Teaching degrees are the only ones with the requirement of 2 units in english and 2 units in math at HSC level. Almost everything else is assumed knowledge and reccomended studies. And if you are struggling with (and not enjoying it AT ALL) something at HSC level, then you are not going to get the neccesary assumed knowledge from the subject. You will only be able to make use of what you learn in the HSC if you engage with your subject, otherwise having it on your certificate is fairly pointless.

And also, if it is teaching, then you can bridge that gap with an introductory math subject in your degree if you must.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)