Dropping to general maths? (1 Viewer)

BillieGoataboe

HSC
Hi!

I feel as though I can get a band six/be in the top few ranks in all my other subjects (adv. English, extension 1 English, biology, textiles, visual arts) but mathematics is sort of dragging me down and I don't think I'll even be able to scrape in a band five with that one. I used to do three unit maths and was about just below average in the prelim year, but I unfortunately missed about 2 months schooling and no matter how much study I seem to do I can't catch up. Do you think there is any problem/negative repercussions with dropping to general maths? I'm looking for an ATAR of 90 or above, although I have no idea what course I want to do at uni.

My school careers counsellor is not going to be at school for the next few months and unfortunately going to a ~selective school general maths sort of has a stigma among peers for being for dumb/lazy people so I'm not sure who to ask! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

stefaniegorman

HSC
N/A
general maths is my subject that's just like, "nurries man, relax." i can go to that class, talk to friends, get life lessons from my teacher, do a LITTLE bit of work each lesson, and rank first. i love having a subject that's not difficult / not much work because it's not a drag to study, and i never ever feel stressed about it. drop to general, embrace (or ignore) the purported "dumb/lazy" stereotype, and if you're good at maths - band 6 easy.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
I wouldn't if you want to do engo/science/finance after the HSC.

General maths is really year 10 maths with a few additional topics. It won't be sufficient for higher level uni maths unless you're fine with studying arts/business subjects that require little/no maths.

funstudy

HSC
Not really, our school dux did general maths- its all about applying yourself and doing the best you can do in that subject. I would say if you really cant handle the course right now, drop down- no use doing a harder subject and doing worse in it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I wouldn't if you want to do engo/science/finance after the HSC.

General maths is really year 10 maths with a few additional topics. It won't be sufficient for higher level uni maths unless you're fine with studying arts/business subjects that require little/no maths.
Yeah I think you should look at what you want to do post-HSC because universities don't even consider General Maths to be anything of value - prerequisite wise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)