Drug education (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
kat_mandu said:
in that case we should say that humans have and always will murder people, so instead of making it a crime we should be more realistic and except it and just educate people how they can do it safer.

your arguement in ridiculous. I agree that drug addicts are sick and we need to promote drug education but excusing there behaviour by eliminating it as a crime will not help anything
Poor analogy that achieves nothing.

It isn't excusing their behaviour. He (and the others arguing the same point) aren't suggesting that the idea of a drug crime be dismissed, but rather that the use and abuse of illicit substances be addressed in an effective manner that seeks to rehabilitate rather than punish the users. Keep in mind that this is an end-user approach, and that the penalties for dealers aren't being contested (as walrusbear stressed by saying 'drug taking').

kat_mandu

What the?
HSC
Generator said:
Poor analogy that achieves nothing.

It isn't excusing their behaviour. He (and the others arguing the same point) aren't suggesting that the idea of a drug crime be dismissed, but rather that the use and abuse of illicit substances be addressed in an effective manner that seeks to rehabilitate rather than punish the users. Keep in mind that this is an end-user approach, and that the penalties for dealers aren't being contested (as walrusbear stressed by saying 'drug taking').

I agree that we need to effectively educate. It is an unrealistic approach to simply preach "drugs are bad so dont take them end of story" Yes we have to teach saftey and try and rehabilitate, but i just dont think making it all legal is an effective pathway. I think we can do all the things you and walrusbear are suggesting but i think that eliminating it as a crime wouldn't help at all.

And yeh i agree that it was a shit analogy

walrusbear

HSC
kat_mandu said:
I agree that we need to effectively educate. It is an unrealistic approach to simply preach "drugs are bad so dont take them end of story" Yes we have to teach saftey and try and rehabilitate, but i just dont think making it all legal is an effective pathway. I think we can do all the things you and walrusbear are suggesting but i think that eliminating it as a crime wouldn't help at all.

And yeh i agree that it was a shit analogy
keeping it illegal promotes the mindset that drug takers are criminals
you'll probably find that making them legal doesn't change very much
i'm not sure that the legal status of drugs alters how much people take them, only gives the government power to punish those that do

kat_mandu

What the?
HSC
perhaps it wouldn't significantly alter the amount people take drugs, but i think it would make education harder. I think that if it were legal then it would be harder to rehabilitate and teach negative effects because people would think that it cant be too seriouse if the government tells them they can do it. I think it would particularly impact teenages\young adults.

walrusbear

HSC
what mature person confuses 'right' and 'wrong' with the law?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)