dumbbells (1 Viewer)

orly?

HSC
do these actually help in weight loss?

:wave:

Lori.

HSC
If you increase your muscle mass, you will increase your metabolism as well. You could lose weight by just doing an-aerobic exercise, but it is best to do both aerobic and an-aerobic exercise.

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
the question is sort of ambiguous

it depends on routines, length of training sessions, dumbbell weights, probly some other stuff im missing

but basically, high weight low rep exercises build muscle, and low weight high rep exercises tone. but i think the best method for weight loss is some sort of fitness activity like bike or whatever. ive never tried to lose weight though.

Skeeta

HSC
pumping your guns with dumbells alone arent going to make you lose weight. They increase muscle mass.

Exercise (running/skipping/swimming) will help you lose weight with a good diet.

HSC
Yeah you need to be doing more intense exercise that works more of your body in order to lose weight. Lifting dumbells will increase muscle mass. However walking/jogging while carrying light dumbells will help you lose weight.

Legham

HSC
Muscle mass per some volume is about triple the mass of fat for the same volume, so JUST working your guns should increase mass, theoretically.. Although, obviously it's a better mass to have..

Riding an exercise bike is a fantastic way to lose weight.. Your muscles hardly get sore, compared to running or swimming or rowing etc, and you can go for as long as you like pretty much! I lost 16kg with cycling as my only form of exercise in the second half of last year. Also, if you have one at home you can just park it in front of your telly and watch whatever show you want or listen to whatever music, which makes it hardly like a chore.

atomicharri

HSC
you can't lose the fat off a specific area of the body just by doing weights there
and you hardly burn off any fat doing weights, despite what others may believe

weights give you bigger muscles in the area you work them out, but if you want to get rid of the fat you need to continually do cardio. your heart rate needs to be high, so just walking for 10 minutes isn't going to do shit all
take it from experience :p

muscle is about 2-3 times heavier than fat
so if you increase muscle mass you're going to get heavier

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I've been doing a cardio-sculpt video regime because I'm lazy and don't like to leave the house when exercising. it basically combines cardio work with dumbbells and it definitely was working for me. you really get a workout when you combine the two, ie add a cardio element to your weights.

lengy

HSC
I feel embarassed about how little weight are on my dumbbells but lowering them means I can do more reps and sets.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
haha I do most of my workout with 1.5kg weights but I'm very unfit and after a while it does affect you. I do some with 3.5kg ones but I can't maintain that for very long.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I sometimes walk with dumbells, i have 1.5 and 2.5 kg ones. It does get really hard after awhile. And pump classes are really good too

Legham

HSC
mariyamo said:
I have .5kg, 1kg & 2kg dumbells. I started a resistance program, i did it for about a week doing 15 reps & 3 sets doing bicep curls & other arm excersises then I just stopped because I didn't see any improvements. O well!
Umm.. you might have wanted to give it a bit more time to get some results :/ Especially with those miniature weights.. I'm only just starting to notice results after about a month of doing 6kg dumbbell shoulder presses and 15kg bicep curls, 3 sets of 12 reps for each.

Give it some more time.

mariyamo

VIP
HSC
Legham said:
Umm.. you might have wanted to give it a bit more time to get some results :/ Especially with those miniature weights.. I'm only just starting to notice results after about a month of doing 6kg dumbbell shoulder presses and 15kg bicep curls, 3 sets of 12 reps for each.

Give it some more time.

Those miniature weights are big enough for me according to my size, i dont reli use the .5kg ones btw.

Legham

HSC
mariyamo said:
Those miniature weights are big enough for me according to my size, i dont reli use the .5kg ones btw.
Oh ok. Well, still give it a lot more time :)

over9k

HSC
Is it true using dumbbells stunts your growth?

circusmind

HSC
over9k said:
Is it true using dumbbells stunts your growth?
To stunt your growth with weightlifting, you have to work hard enough to develop an incredibly musclebound physique which is also asymmetrical and unbalanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)