Duration of Work Experience/Placement (1 Viewer)

_rakelt

HSC
Hello All,

I want to complete a placement / work experience in order to add it on my CV when I apply for my masters.

Luckily, at my current part-time job, my pharmacist linked me up with someone in the science industry so Im keen on doing some work experience there.

Since I also have adversities at home (taking care of my disabled mum), I plan to do it part-time as well.

How long do you think my work experience/ placement should be? e..g 3-6 weeks, 1.5 months? I'm just really lost

Any help appreciated!

_rakelt

HSC
Ever heard of lying? I know I did to boost my cv.
Well I don't like lying, and Im sure anyone can lie, it aint hard

BUT, this is regarding my application for my master's. I want ACTUAL experience and reference checks are necessary.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I would think the equivalent of two weeks at full time (80hrs) should be sufficient both for experience and for a reference. So, for example, if you are doing it part time for four hours per day, then suggest four weeks if you are able. More hours are desirable if you & the workplace supervisor are mutually happy with that. Make sure you cover different activities & skills. There’s less value doing the same thing everyday because you are only there at the same time each day when specific activities are scheduled, although if it is possible, it is worthwhile trying to perform each activity as independently as possible to get a good reference. You may have to vary your hours to participate in a wider range of activities to build up your CV.
Best wishes!

dasfas

HSC
8 weeks would be good. I disagree with 2 weeks, that is far too short to accomplish anything meaningful.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
8 weeks would be good. I disagree with 2 weeks, that is far too short to accomplish anything meaningful.
I suggested equivalent of two weeks full time, noting that _rakelt is planning to do this part time, so she could be spending 4-6 weeks. Would you recommend eight weeks equivalent full time (which may be double that depending on the hours _rakelt can spend per day) or an eight week period irrespective of hours per day?

Eight weeks (full time) is almost in the realms of a summer project and co-authorship of a paper (which both my husband & I got, as students, in different fields). In one of my depts, work experience is typically two weeks full time. In the other dept, students who spent 2-3 months usually ended up with co-authorship of a conference poster or research paper. Noting that _rakelt plans to do a Masters degree, I think she should aim to enrol in her postgrad degree as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)