• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dux of school (4 Viewers)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
our dux is the perosn with the highest uai... i think this year the dux got 98.65. thats not a bad effort for our school. its the highest we've seen in a few years

Egg_666

i dont think our school has made a decision on that

but our dux ended up getting high 96 and yet the top kid in our school got 99.2..

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Ours is based on UAI. Which has it pros and cons (it means someone can kill the exam, while they havent worked that hard throughout the year, but it also means that it takes into account the "difficulty" of the exam).
But it's fair, considering all students are aiming to get good marks in the HSC, shouldn't it also be true that the most succesful in doing so deserves dux?

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
my school is ranks

although there was pretty much no competition...the girl who got dux topped all 12 units, and went on to get over 90 in all 12 units in the hsc, and i'm pretty sure she would have got the highest UAI

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
my skool is dux is based on ranks in each class.....
we dont have the highest uai factor coz after our formal which is always b4 the HSC, we dont come to skool no more except for the HSC itself......
i think ranks would be a better way for getting DUX as it shows your performance all yr. as for UAI it just one bunch of exams.
see if one person was to go good all yr in skool and stuff up their HSC it just doesnt seem that fair.
think about it.
i know it lifes and we should deal we it but hey u know who it should of been awarded to and thats the person who was doing the best all yr and not given to sum1 who just managed to do well in the HSC and not so well all yr during skool.

swangal

ours is based on uai...And it doesnt get awarded until the schools presentation nite the following year (i.e December 2004)- so if ur desparate to get ur money/award at our school ur pretty screwed.

tempco

HSC
Highest UAI here... IMHO, the UAI would be the best judge, since all your effort is put into consideration... if it were by rank, all the "work" you did during STUVAC wouldn't amount to anything... now that would suck.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
it would depend on when ur speech night (or equivalent) normally is held. if its like before end of school, then ur school prbly has its own criteria for choosing dux, which u can prbly find out from the relevant authority. if its held like after release of uai's, usually the year after u graduate (like at my school), then its prbly safe to assume dux is determined on the basis of uai, which i think is prbly the fairest system

Numero Uno

HSC
Originally posted by nekkid
Highest UAI here... IMHO, the UAI would be the best judge, since all your effort is put into consideration... if it were by rank, all the "work" you did during STUVAC wouldn't amount to anything... now that would suck.

Hey do u know a guy called Ramii
hes tall and plays rep soccer and going into year 11
He goes to Malek Fahd as well.

Dave85

HSC
ours is based on uai which i think is the fairest way. Its unfair (in my opinion) if somebody doing 'easy' subjects (eg standard eng, general maths, senior science, etc) beats someone who did 'hard' subjects (eg 4u maths, 3u eng, physics, chem, etc). Even if u do good in easy subjects and hav better rankings, it doesnt mean ur better then the person who had slightly lower rankings in really hard subjects... if that makes sense

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Dux at our school was based on assessment ranks... I got it for 2003, I came first in 5 subjects and second in 2. However I didn't get the highest UAI, someone beat me by 0.1! But he will get a different award for that, not dux.

UAI isn't necessarily the fairest.... I beat the guy who beat me by 0.1 in all subjects in the assessment and HSC exams except extension maths, and because of it's wild scaling he beat me! And it wasn't as if I did easy subjects....

Last edited:

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
ours is based on internal marks..so no matter how hard ur subjects are, u can get jipped by someone doing all the easy/bludgey subjects....

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But then again the internal ranking systems isnt that fair either, unless your school has a system where they scale the marks in subjects, because easy subjects like general maths often count for the same as 2unit maths.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
in r skool it is based on overall rankings in all the internal skool assessments including trials, i was the DUX of my skool ..... i came first in 5 subjects out of 6!!

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
whats with all these people coming 1st in like all their subjects? gees your schools must scale pretty low. if that happened at any selective theyd probably get 100 easy.

Dux? yeah might as well. not like ive got anything better to do this year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)