Dux of year 12 (1 Viewer)

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
our school estimates the UAIs.... they are usually pretty accurate... whoever gets the top estimates gets dux

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate
It seems logical that you have to prove that you received a particular UAI
unless it is totally unbelievable ... i think you can fool them ... for example if you got 96, i reckon you could say you got 98 and they would question you ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by luigi_000
our school estimates the UAIs.... they are usually pretty accurate... whoever gets the top estimates gets dux
i wish my school gave estimates which were accurate even if it is usually ... my school doesnt even give estimates ... leaving me wondering whether ill do well or not as well ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
unless it is totally unbelievable ... i think you can fool them ... for example if you got 96, i reckon you could say you got 98 and they would question you ...
I guess you could, they would never know lol

timmii

sporadic attendee
Every year (ie from yr 7 - 12) the school lists the "top 6" of each year in order, based on rankings in each subject. In year 12 the person ranked first is the "dux"....or are until december 20th when UAI comes out. Then at valedictory next year the person with the highest UAI gets their name on a board and is presented with something (nor sure what). For year 12 however we get $30 book vouchers for each subject we come top in, so I don't know what the UAI dux would get, if anything.

I am seriously considering not telling my school my UAI, they treated us with absolutely no respect during exams and i was made to start crying by various teachers before my maths exams (not at all exam related). Regarding the whole "the school finds out from friends etc..."....they can't use it unless you tell them and authorise them to use it. That way if u do well and they find out from the general community that you did do well, but you don't officially tell them, its even worse because they know what they're missing out on.....Despite all this, depending how i do i probably will tell, because ultimately i would come off looking far worse and vindictive than they would be hurt by me not telling them my uai.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by timmii

I am seriously considering not telling my school my UAI, they treated us with absolutely no respect during exams and i was made to start crying by various teachers before my maths exams (not at all exam related). Regarding the whole "the school finds out from friends etc..."....they can't use it unless you tell them and authorise them to use it. That way if u do well and they find out from the general community that you did do well, but you don't officially tell them, its even worse because they know what they're missing out on.....Despite all this, depending how i do i probably will tell, because ultimately i would come off looking far worse and vindictive than they would be hurt by me not telling them my uai.
No one can find out your UAI unless you tell them or if your parents tell friends and they tell other friends which gets back to the school.

I will probably tell the school my UAI, but u don't have to if u don't want to

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
this year we can easily tell who the dux will be, but they are actually presented with whatever it is they get at the following year's presentation night. its not really that big a deal, they get their name on the board in the admin office, woohoo!

bex

HSC
My good friend was our dux and i really dont know how its awarded!!! but she came 1st in all her subjects except for 1 i think...

for the person who said the point system.. isnt that a lil unfair if you come top in all the easier subjects when someone who has chosen harder subjects is somewhere round the middle?

edited to say that our principal personally calls everyone on the day they come out to find out uais... guess whose phones are gonna be unplugged that day!?

Last edited:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by bex

for the person who said the point system.. isnt that a lil unfair if you come top in all the easier subjects when someone who has chosen harder subjects is somewhere round the middle?
I totally agree with you, the points system isn't fair cause it doesn't take into account the difficulty of a course. That's why at our school dux is based on who gets the top UAI, it's the only fair method

GJ_JOE

blood brother
the dux at my school came first in all of his subjects except maths which apparently his shithouse at lol....(business, eco, legals, adv. english + ext. english)

bex

HSC
Yeah.. our dux did Visual Art, Ancient, Ext History, Eng, Eng ext 1, Eng ext 2, SOR2 and came top in all but ancient...

TombRaider_Fan

UAI recommendation

Hey if u r recommended by ur principal to do the course at uni- will the uni take u in for thst course- u know an early entry?!

Morgues

I think the school do find out our UAIs because every year the principle says at the start of the year X people got over 90 UAI and Y people got over 95 in last years group

I very much doubt the school will ring up and ask me my UAI

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ever since the Mt Druitt High School 'scandal' in 1998, UAIs have only been made available to individual students and the universities to which they have applied.

Nearly all schools either phone students or send out some kind of 'survey' in order to obtain UAIs. They do, however, receive HSC results (and obviously using LazSeeker or a similar program would then allow UAIs to be approximated).

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by da_best
wat happen in the Mt Druitt High scandel in 1998 ???
In short: they had a newspaper article with the year 12 class, with a message saying that these people all failed the HSC. anyway, everyone got pissed, and the students sued and got money to make up for the defamation.

Pretty harsh if you ask me, you'd feel pretty bad if you failed, and then to have it publicised so that everyone could see, it'd just make you feel like you couldn't forget it.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Re: UAI recommendation

Originally posted by TombRaider_Fan
Hey if u r recommended by ur principal to do the course at uni- will the uni take u in for thst course- u know an early entry?!
not necessarily. It depends, on what your principal says, what course you have chosen, what subjects you do, your trial marks and the stuff you write on the form, whether they think your academically capable, if the course will suit you, AND which uni you are trying to get into.

I know quite a few people that got rejection and a few that didn't get the courses that they wanted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)