dying hair lighter (1 Viewer)

Lennie

ive always had super dark hair, and although it will probably look bad, im itching to go lighter.
is it possible to get your hair just tinted lighter? and how much would it cost roughly etc.
i have little to no clue when it comes to hair considering i never really get it cut and have never gotten it coloured.

btw. when i say tinted, i mean my whole head dyed. not streaks or anything like that.

CieL

HSC
I remember that sunsilk lightening mousse days..... =]

Altho it's more of a gradual process, it felt kinda more natural cos you're gradually lightening it

However, bad side is that it will damage your hair and make each strand thinner, so it tangles easier..

Do they even still sell that crap?

latvia

HSC
N/A
don't use bleach..if you just want it a big lighter than right now.. even if you bleached it and coloured it with a rather dark (brown) colour.. it will turn out BRIGHT. i bleached it before.

Lennie

i already checked that out and no they dont. so id have to get it done at a salon. i also dont know if it would just wreck my hair.

might also be annoying because i have a fringe and id have to keep colouring it often :/

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
CieL said:
I remember that sunsilk lightening mousse days..... =]

Altho it's more of a gradual process, it felt kinda more natural cos you're gradually lightening it

However, bad side is that it will damage your hair and make each strand thinner, so it tangles easier..

Do they even still sell that crap?
I used that stuff...I want it again but its gone:(

CieL

HSC
EnterNameHere said:
i already checked that out and no they dont. so id have to get it done at a salon. i also dont know if it would just wreck my hair.

might also be annoying because i have a fringe and id have to keep colouring it often :/
There's always DIY :D
I dye my mum's hair sometimes for fun.

Of course it's going to wreck you hair ahahha

And unless your colour is really significantly lighter, I dont think the fringe bit should be a problem.. and it depends on if you want your fringe to be permanently short, or let it grow out..

justCARLA

HSC
if you have really dark hair and want to go light, you'll always have bad regrowth that looks so feral

you'll just have to keep dying it or you'll look like a skunk.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
CieL said:
And unless your colour is really significantly lighter, I dont think the fringe bit should be a problem.. and it depends on if you want your fringe to be permanently short, or let it grow out..
yeh, i went through a phase of attempting to get my hair reddish over my dark brown hair with diy dyes which preeeetty much only made my hair a bit lighter..i still don't think my regrowth has gone past the whole amount of my fringe yet but i can't actually see the regrowth line in my fringe, so you could be safe :)

edit: but only leave it if it's similar of course..blonde and dark brown in your fringe would look stupid obviously..

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
im a guy with black hair, I wanna go brown without bleach. Do you reckon if I get a blonde box color I can get it brown?

Is there any product to make it brownish.. i really don't wanna bother with a salon 'n all...

Stupid genes...

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
A High Way Man said:
im a guy with black hair, I wanna go brown without bleach. Do you reckon if I get a blonde box color I can get it brown?

Is there any product to make it brownish.. i really don't wanna bother with a salon 'n all...

Stupid genes...
If lightening hair...go to salon

If darkening hair...bring on the DIY store bleach

alby

cool duckie
HSC
yeah, i'm with ^
go to the salon if you want to go lighter...going darker isnt quite as noticable, thus you have more room to stuff up :p

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Lighter?- Lemons.
We used to do it when we were younger ie year 8whislt tanning at the beach...
it worked too..
but not very good for ur hair..
but still better than bleach i suppose

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
It will cost you 10-20 dollars at your local supermarket. If you're doing the whole thing it's fucking easy to do it at home.

electromutant

HSC
Yay, hair! My favourite topic =)
I've been bleaching my hair fluorescent colours since about year 5, so I'm a fan of DIY and not of salons - there is only one other person I allow to touch my hair and she's been my stylist for ten years, lol - so i've found that box kits work really well for me.
The Nordic range in particular lightens my hair considerably (natural colour is a mid-brown), although if you're going for a much more subtle lightening, then buy a colour that's two or three shades lighter than your hair - it should contain enough peroxide to lighten it without the use of bleach as well.
Just be aware that if you want to lighten your hair in just the one shade, it can look very fake - especially the caramel colours.
If you want a more natural look, go for a head of foils in colours close to your natural shade, with highlights in lighter colours. Or one of those Garnier brush on highlights kits.
If you have really really dark hair, though, you might have to strip it to get some of the colour out, and then dye over the top, which can fry your hair a little, but regular protein masks can fix that up fine, and they're fairly cheap ^_^.
I'd recommend a salon if you haven't done it yourself before. It will cost a bit more than a box kit but at least there won't be any heinous orange moments..

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
just go to a store like (woolies/coles/priceline/price attack)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
electromutant said:
Yay, hair! My favourite topic =)
I've been bleaching my hair fluorescent colours since about year 5, so I'm a fan of DIY and not of salons - there is only one other person I allow to touch my hair and she's been my stylist for ten years, lol - so i've found that box kits work really well for me.
The Nordic range in particular lightens my hair considerably (natural colour is a mid-brown), although if you're going for a much more subtle lightening, then buy a colour that's two or three shades lighter than your hair - it should contain enough peroxide to lighten it without the use of bleach as well.
Just be aware that if you want to lighten your hair in just the one shade, it can look very fake - especially the caramel colours.
If you want a more natural look, go for a head of foils in colours close to your natural shade, with highlights in lighter colours. Or one of those Garnier brush on highlights kits.
If you have really really dark hair, though, you might have to strip it to get some of the colour out, and then dye over the top, which can fry your hair a little, but regular protein masks can fix that up fine, and they're fairly cheap ^_^.
I'd recommend a salon if you haven't done it yourself before. It will cost a bit more than a box kit but at least there won't be any heinous orange moments..
But is there any risk of the orange when trying to go from black -> brown via blonde?

maybe ill test it on a bit of hair first :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)