Earth Hour: Turn Off Your Lights 7.30pm, 31 March 2007 (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
http://earthhour.smh.com.au/

At 7.30pm on 31 March 2007, we are inviting Sydneysiders - businesses and individuals - to turn off their lights for just one hour, Earth Hour, as a sign of their commitment to reduce global warming.[/B]

Earth Hour is just the start of a campaign that aims to reduce Sydney's greenhouse emissions by 5% in 2007. The event will demonstrate how simple actions can make the world of difference if everyone takes part. And it sends a powerful message that we care about the future of the planet.

This year's Earth Hour will happen in Sydney, but we hope that Earth Hour can grow into a global campaign. If you live outside of Sydney, you can show your support by joining us and turning off your lights at 7.30pm local time.
Telstra Stadium and the Swans Support Earth Hour

On the night of Earth Hour, Telstra Stadium will be hosting a Sydney Swans home match which is expected to attract over 70,000 people.

Telstra is committed to, and is an active supporter of, Earth Hour and has arranged to switch off two of its large lights at Telstra Stadium for an hour from 7.30pm.
Top restaurants supporting Earth Hour

Will & Toby's at Manly Beach will hold a candlelit fundraising dinner on the night with a percentage of the proceeds going to WWF. The restaurants creators, Will and Toby Osmond, will prepare a special Earth Hour menu which customers can enjoy to the sound of unplugged jazz.

Glass Restaurant at the Sydney Hilton will be alight with a room of candelabra by George Jensen. Similarly, celebrity chef Neil Perry's Rockpool Restaurant on George Street will be filled with hundreds of tea-light candles to create an atmospheric glow.

-------------

View the television ad here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE3WPIKYkuc&eurl=http://myspace.com/earthhour

Like some people have said in SMH, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I know you'll probably have the same initial reaction: what good will it do?

And yet, 987 of Sydney's businesses will show their support.

I might go to Will & Toby's that night actually. :)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
whoa, that actually sounds like a really cool idea..esp. the businesses running candlelit dinners and such!

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
i wonder what the different local government's are planning on doing about the thousands of street lights during that hour

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Haha, didn't think of that.

Pretty sure they're on, traffic lights and all.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
? Whats the point of this?

Instead of wasting our time switching off ligths and appliances. We should be out there protesting for better public transport and more incentives for purchasing hyrbid /electric cars.

but now we will just switch off our lights for one hour. what a waste of time and money.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
but now we will just switch off our lights for one hour. what a waste of time and money.
Well, the hour is going to elapse anyway whether or not the lights are on and it is safe to assume that one would save money from turning the lights off.

So you are wrong.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Far out I'm gonna be at that game. That will be wierd

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Imma run my dryer, my heater, every computer i can find, all the TV's, all the stereos at full blast and both showers are gonna be running hot water.

That and I'm stockpiling greens corflutes to make a bonfire.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
jb_nc said:
Well, the hour is going to elapse anyway whether or not the lights are on and it is safe to assume that one would save money from turning the lights off.

So you are wrong.
you could probably earn more money using the lights on for something.

What about cost of the advertisement and the energy consumption involved in that?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I'm going to buy a massive lightbulb to replace my stage manager.

But I do look foward to this. I can't wait to turn off all my lights and then flick on the tele to see what it looks like in Sydney. That's saving power! (credit to some letter writer in SMH for that general idea).

aussiechica7

HSC
and how about we all donate that day's worth of salary to oxfam, to bring health, education and environmental sustainability to the earth's poorest as well? just a thought. gimmicks like this r nice, but idk if they really do anything in the long run.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
iam not going to do this cause i feel excluded. Its a stupid idea anyway, something more appropriate would be "dont use your car fuckhead day" seen as polution from cracking petrol is heaps higher.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
aussiechica7 said:
and how about we all donate that day's worth of salary to oxfam, to bring health, education and environmental sustainability to the earth's poorest as well? just a thought. gimmicks like this r nice, but idk if they really do anything in the long run.
What the hell are you talking about?

The world's poorest live in mud huts, spend their days looking for food and manually laboring to perform simple tasks that we have technology to do for us, and they die at about 30.

This is BY FAR the most magnificently environmentally sustainable way for the human species to live.

The world's poorest don't need token monetary handouts that get taken by their ultra corrupt governments. What the world's poorest need is a shitload of coal fired power stations, and access to electricity and running water.

ie. the things that kill Mother Gaia make us evil... and alive. You just won't hear it from celebrities.

On topic:
Personally I'm contributing to this quasi-religious campaign by not running my house's lights between the hours of 9am and 5pm, ever (not just one day!). Unlike Al Gore, I also will not purchase a learjet or a mansion at any time in my life. I'm saving the world. Are you?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The idea isn't to use less power it's just to make a point. How much energy do you think everyone saves per year from going to bed earlier than usual, not being at home after dark or for whatever reason not having any lights on.

I'm not doing it because I don't support the whole global warming crusade. We are not the cause of global warming and nothing we can do will have any impact at all on the natural cycle of the Earth.

If you want to save some money on your power bill then go ahead and turn off your lights but otherwise don't waste your time on.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
I'm going to turn on every appliance and hot tap in my house for that hour :D
Haha likewise, protest the stupidity.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
The scary thing is, I don't think you're joking. Useless as this 'earth hour' may be, it's hardly worth being a douchebag about.

I'm not doing it because I don't support the whole global warming crusade. We are not the cause of global warming and nothing we can do will have any impact at all on the natural cycle of the Earth.
YOU RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE! GO GIRL!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
The scary thing is, I don't think you're joking. Useless as this 'earth hour' may be, it's hardly worth being a douchebag about.

YOU RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE! GO GIRL!
I am against this - because I feel that the media, politicians etc are exploiting this.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I'm not doing it because a) I don't live in Sydney anyway b) There's a hell of a lot more useful things for the community, politicians, whoever, to be doing than sitting in the dark looking at their tv's broadcasting pictures of other people in the dark watching their TV's.

However I am due for some volunteering on that day, so good deeds, etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)