ease of internal transfer? (1 Viewer)

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
i was wondering if internal transfers occur easily ie. if you have a very good chance of transfering if you wanted to. Considering that i dont think i would be able to get into optometry, if i do b. science and do pretty well in it, would it be possible to transfer without a problem?

Oz

HSC
what about sydney? wanting to do eco, but after the last couple of weeks not too sure about chances of getting a good enough uai to be safely over. can one do an arts and then transfer across after 1st semester?

mack

Banned
HSC
I thought it was one semester for some? Not sure if it's a year for all.

Yes, you can do Arts. It is possible to transfer to anything from anything. If the course's have no similarities however, you will have to start from first year.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
certain uni's such as Macquarie and UWS are very flexible (as natstar said), allowing for transfers after Sem 1 with credit averages.

However, others are not, especially Sydney and UNSW - its impossible to transfer mid year for most of the popular degrees (like Law, Commerce, Arts). In fact, at UNSW, there's no internal transfer policy to get into higher degrees, for Commerce and Law anyway (ie, you cant internally transfer from Economics to Commerce, or from Commerce to Commerce/Law), you can only transfer "down" (ie, Commerce to Economics, they allow that)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
That said, there's a HUGE demand for optometry at UNSW. There's only about 90 or so places offered each year, and considering that you have to compete with people who've done the HSC, you'll need to do VERY well to be considered a place.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm trying to transfer from the BMus (Comp.) to the BA/BMusStudies (both at USYD). It was easy enough to get the permission from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, but the faculty of Arts is another story. I had to apply through UAC, and I'll probably get turned away, since competition for places is strong. The fact that I've already started the BA component of the combined degree probably won't factor into it either.

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
babydoll_ said:
That said, there's a HUGE demand for optometry at UNSW. There's only about 90 or so places offered each year, and considering that you have to compete with people who've done the HSC, you'll need to do VERY well to be considered a place.
so the answer is no?

thanks for everyone's input

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
miss_salty said:
so the answer is no?

thanks for everyone's input
well, at UNSW you'll have to apply through UAC
you'll be on the same competition level as the class of 2005 for places, so you'll need a UAI relatively close to the optom cutoff, plus at least a distinction average in 1st year to make your application more competitive

fantasia

HSC
Minai said:
In fact, at UNSW, there's no internal transfer policy to get into higher degrees, for Commerce and Law anyway (ie, you cant internally transfer from Economics to Commerce, or from Commerce to Commerce/Law), you can only transfer "down" (ie, Commerce to Economics, they allow that)
so that means its impossible for me to transfer internally from commerce to commerce/law at UNSW? Even if i have a uai close to the cut off (1-2 points lower) and getting distinction averages in the first year?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fantasia said:
so that means its impossible for me to transfer internally from commerce to commerce/law at UNSW? Even if i have a uai close to the cut off (1-2 points lower) and getting distinction averages in the first year?
it is simply not allowed. For anything Law, you must transfer via the UAC.

fantasia

HSC
ah ok, so i'm allowed to transfer from commerce to commerce/law internally but i have to do it via UAC right and transfer externally...

that gives me some hope then.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fantasia said:
ah ok, so i'm allowed to transfer from commerce to commerce/law internally but i have to do it via UAC right and transfer externally...
what you mean to say is "i'm allowed to transfer from commerce to commerce/law at the same institution but i have to do it via UAC and transfer as an external process. yeap all done :)

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmmm. so this unsw transfer thing ... is that only for the 'popular' courses like law and commerce ? i mean, wud it be hard to transfer from civil engineering (like uai of 78-80 or sumthing) to comp engineering (uai of 90) ... or from like straight science to computer science ? cus im really not sure about nething yet, and i dunt wanna be stuck doing something i end up hating :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Purp|e said:
hmmm. so this unsw transfer thing ... is that only for the 'popular' courses like law and commerce ? i mean, wud it be hard to transfer from civil engineering (like uai of 78-80 or sumthing) to comp engineering (uai of 90) ... or from like straight science to computer science ? cus im really not sure about nething yet, and i dunt wanna be stuck doing something i end up hating :p
for those Science and Engineering degrees - I'm not sure, ask sunny, I think they may have some internal transfer schemes.

But generally at UNSW, you have to transfer via UAC

simonkey

HSC
Hi, does anyone know how many places there are for optom?

And does optom involve alot of english and essays??

HSC english again, NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
miss_salty said:
i was wondering if internal transfers occur easily ie. if you have a very good chance of transfering if you wanted to. Considering that i dont think i would be able to get into optometry, if i do b. science and do pretty well in it, would it be possible to transfer without a problem?
My friend did exactly that...so it should be ok (don't know how good his uni marks were though...)

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
transfer is a transfer, there is no such thing as an INTERNAL transfer

you can transfer from B.of shit eating at the Univeristy of afghan for all they care.

if you get high enough marks you will get in.

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
You retards this thread is about 5 years old

and BTW there is such thing as internal transfer, where you don't go thru UAC. Sydney have an internal transfer option within faculty across their arts degrees, and UNSW just introduced one for next year with law apparently.

So suck it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)