Easier courses = easier to achieve good grades? ( HD or D) (1 Viewer)

didlshak27

HSC
For example, in the case of [Introductory Chemistry] and [Higher Chemistry 1A], even simply by looking at the 'Assumed knowledge', it is evident that Introductory Chemistryis easier and simpler in terms of the course difficulty.

So my question is, wouldn't a guy with HSC mark of 100 in chem for example get HD or D easily in Introductory Chemistry (which has assumed knowledge of year 11 chemistry apprently), then if he had gone to Higher Chemistry? Or is there a scheme which prevents this? thanks

ace

is retired
HSC
Ignore what others have gotten in the hsc. University is different to school. People can get all ranges of marks. I've known people with high uai's getting low marks, some getting average and some excellent.

What matters is your own learning process and how much effort (which will translate into time) you want to put in. Depending on how you feel in the course you might find it easy or difficult. There is no general "this subject will rip you a new ......".

My general advice:
- If you have the option of taking a higher course, take it
- Enjoy the rest of your break before uni begins
- In first year there really shouldn't be any assumed knowledge (because no one really knows what they will be doing)
- Courses are not that hard, seriously

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
For example, in the case of [Introductory Chemistry] and [Higher Chemistry 1A], even simply by looking at the 'Assumed knowledge', it is evident that Introductory Chemistryis easier and simpler in terms of the course difficulty.

So my question is, wouldn't a guy with HSC mark of 100 in chem for example get HD or D easily in Introductory Chemistry (which has assumed knowledge of year 11 chemistry apprently), then if he had gone to Higher Chemistry? Or is there a scheme which prevents this? thanks
No. For example, in 2006, 28% of students achieved a HD in Higher Maths, compared to only 5% in normal maths.

sunny

meh.
HSC
To add to the above, other courses you may want to do later in your uni life might have a pre-requisite of the normal or higher version of an earlier subject rather than the introductory level.

EdmondDW

HSC
Actually, for the lecture content, no big differences between chem1011 and chem1031...This is what Dr.Robert told me...
But the lab work of higher chem is much more interesting and the demonstors r all PHD students no honour yr's students...

I did chem 1A & 1B, and got 95+ for both, if u got any problems, u can send me a message...:)

joshuaali

HSC
Isn't it CHEM1031 Higher Chemistry 1C?

Anyway, from what I heard in 2008, there were more HDs and Ds in CHEM1011/1021 than in CHEM1031/1041. I did the latter. CHEM1011 seems to be a revision on HSC Chemistry content and CHEM1021 is a simplified version of CHEM1031.

Survivor39, that may be true (i.e. higher proportion of students getting HDs in a harder course than an easier course), but I would attribute that to the higher quality of students in the harder course. Various lecturers and course coordinators have told me that 'scaling' makes little difference. It seemed to me that it was much easier to get a HD in Introductory Chemistry than Higher Chemistry, and Mathematics for Life Sciences than Mathematics (and Mathematics than Higher Mathematics).

However, didlshak27, you shouldn't let that deter you from studying the harder course. If you are able to (definitely with a HSC Chemistry score of 100! :p) , you should opt for the harder course if the option is given. Unless you plan to do honours and as long as you pass, marks are... meh.

joshuaali

HSC
I've seen the content of CHEM1011. It isn't difficult. You think CHEM1011 is dense? I wonder what that makes CHEM1031.

I have friends that failed CHEM1031. They did CHEM1011. They thought it was so easy and were in fact the ones who told me a lot of the content was similar to what they had learnt in high school.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I have friends that failed CHEM1031. They did CHEM1011. They thought it was so easy and were in fact the ones who told me a lot of the content was similar to what they had learnt in high school.
That's again, not true... I've done HSC chem and CHEM1011 and it is so much more difficult than HSC chem, especially the organic chemistry section of the course.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
I've seen the content of CHEM1011. It isn't difficult. You think CHEM1011 is dense? I wonder what that makes CHEM1031.

I largely did CHEM1011 as i read about it on the handbook and thought "this is HSC chem" however its not the case, your friends probably found it easy as they went through all the content in CHEM1031

Actually, for the lecture content, no big differences between chem1011 and chem1031...This is what Dr.Robert told me...

joshuaali

HSC
Granted, but I still stand by the fact that Higher Chemistry isn't labelled as "Higher" for no reason. At any rate, I believe we have answered the OP's question.

EdmondDW

HSC
Granted, but I still stand by the fact that Higher Chemistry isn't labelled as "Higher" for no reason. At any rate, I believe we have answered the OP's question.
I admit that higher chem is harder, but chem1011/1021 is not that easy as u said...

And the content of chem1011/1031 is nearly same as chem1031/1041, this is Dr.Robert told me...

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
I admit that higher chem is harder, but chem1011/1021 is not that easy as u said...

And the content of chem1011/1031 is nearly same as chem1031/1041, this is Dr.Robert told me...
Nearly the same but not the same.

the organic in chem1031 is far more extensive than the organic covered in chem1011/chem1021.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)