Easy as limits question so you should help all the first year unsw actl kids (1 Viewer)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Using the delta-epsilon definition of a limit, prove the value of the limit y = (x+3)/(x^2-3) as x approaches infinity. (find the limit + prove it).

One line of working in the definition has stumped me, I'm sure the person answering this question will be able to work it out.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
anytime before 10am tomorrow, I'll be cheering

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
should do.

Realise that , so use this to find a value of so that whenever you will have that .

Last edited:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
haha delta-epsilon definitions of limits were the thing that I struggled with the worst. Didn't understand it back then, still don't.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Alternatively, you can change the denominator into , since for x> 3, if , then also (note the limit is 0).

Edit: mreditor16 just posted this. Yes, that's valid.

mreditor16

HSC
Alternatively, you can change the denominator into , since for x> 3, if , then also (note the limit is 0).

Edit: mreditor16 just posted this. Yes, that's valid.
Is my whole proof correct? I am iffy about the last part.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Is my whole proof correct? I am iffy about the last part.
Just use (assuming the rest of the algebra etc. is right, I just skimmed over it; I meant the idea of using on denominator is valid).

mreditor16

HSC
Just use (assuming the rest of the algebra etc. is right, I just skimmed over it; I meant the idea of using on denominator is valid).
but you know how when you make such an assumption. at the end, you need to say m = min ( or )

like yeah. can someone please properly go through my proof?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
And in general, should depend on (unless for example its a trivial limit, like proving the limit of a constant function etc.). I like to write to stress that it's a function of .

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
That's something we've learnt along the way, with these proofs, when you make such an assumption :/
Really? Often min is used for proving limit theorems, like sum rule for limits etc. But for these simple epsilon delta proofs for a function, it's usually not the case.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
And more precisely, it can be (that's not the only possible M).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)