eco or business?? (1 Viewer)

Jasmeen

HSC
heyy guys,
i hav subject selection soon and am wondering if i should choose eco....
is it a hard topic or is it fun??
is it betta than business studies??
pleez help:)

gcmk

HSC
eco is a little challenging compared to business but MUCH MUCH more interesting! plus eco has a better scaling

Conspirocy

HSC
i found business studies to involve a lot more work, whereas economics you either get it or you dont

business was much more subjective and open to interp, and you run the risk of getting the question wrong

eco to me seemed easier, and you could get more marks out of it for the work you put in. so to some it might be more challenging but at the end of the day the scaling does make up for it. you do business and work hard and still get scalled down, so unless your for sure going to get 90 in business id do eco. id rather an 80 in eco than a 80 in business for scaling reasons

no one will beleive me but the business studies exam has to be just about one of the most hardest marked exams in the hsc.

Teddy Lee

HSC
eco ftw

I think it's fun and logical and interesting. But as withoutwings said, choose the one which you will enjoy more. It really doesn't matter what we think.

gl!

sanshi

colour my world
HSC
N/A
eco ways more interesting than biz
just choose what your very interested in :wave:

Vicly

HSC Victim
HSC
Economics, in my opinion, is a lot more about logic and common sense than Business Studies. The ability to think about situations, then use your economic knowledge to create a logical sequence of events from just one change to the economy is vital. If you do not have this, it will be EXTREMELY difficult to understand and handle, as seen by a few of my friends.

Business Studies however, is more oriented towards knowing your syllabus back to front, inside out. Things like the Workchoices being implemented recently will probably be integrated into your 2008 HSC course (if you choose to do Business Studies), so think about things like that.

If you did Commerce and enjoyed it or performed well, I'd recommend doing both Economics and Business Studies (also Legal Studies if you'd like). The overlap of certain areas of the subjects, ensure you have learned something and can apply it for a multi-purpose.

pursya17

HSC
i was in the same position last year and i chose eco. its alright but a bit dry i'll probably drop it next year, but then i think that may be because there is some maths involved and i hate maths. however if your a maths person then you should be fine, plus eco scales really well, however in the end it should come down to what you're more interested in. Scaling doesn't matter if you end up hating the subject.

williamc

HSC
pursya17 said:
i was in the same position last year and i chose eco. its alright but a bit dry i'll probably drop it next year, but then i think that may be because there is some maths involved and i hate maths. however if your a maths person then you should be fine, plus eco scales really well, however in the end it should come down to what you're more interested in. Scaling doesn't matter if you end up hating the subject.
I didn't think there was any maths in prelim eco. Really, really easy maths in year 12 economics.

I do both eco and business.

Eco is way easier, and more interesting than business studies.

m.hyde

HSC
N/A
hey man i do both and i have to admit that i find eco harder than i find business.
business is a breeze but it is also a subject that if you want to go into business or commerce can help you alot
eco is also important in that industry but is not as much a practical subject in terms of what you learn
dont be fooled by thinking that they are both the same like i did when i was in yr 10 nad expecting them to overlap and you wont have to study because believe me it doesnt work.
if you enjoy maths then eco has more of a maths focus where as business has lesser eco involves alot more knowledge and hard work to do well in but i feel its a lot more enjoyable than business.
good luck with it and dont freak out yet because you always have the option of changing your subjects early next year if you dont enjoy it

Vicly

HSC Victim
HSC
I actually thought business studies has more mathematics involved, with accounting being a whole topic, whilst the only maths I recall doing in economics is "the multiplier", which is a one off/small section of a topic.

williamc

HSC
Vicly said:
I actually thought business studies has more mathematics involved, with accounting being a whole topic, whilst the only maths I recall doing in economics is "the multiplier", which is a one off/small section of a topic.
Exactly. I got no idea what everyone is saying. There is more maths in business than eco. Either way its very, very easy maths.

rhys100

Violinkid
HSC
defo economics. Economics will teach you to "think" in the real world and will actually help you in everything you do.

vickynik

HSC
But you guys have to agree eco preliminary course is abit boring and very technical. HSC course is very "whats happening now" and real world application of theory.

mat2154

HSC
i heard that business is many times easier than eco hence the crap scaling. but if you like it and know you will do well than it doesn't really matter

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I can't really tell you whether or notI prefer Business over Economics because I only did one of them- economics.

Vicly

HSC Victim
HSC
vickynik said:
But you guys have to agree eco preliminary course is abit boring and very technical. HSC course is very "whats happening now" and real world application of theory.
It's "boring" because you have to learn the fundamentals of economics, like demand and supply, 5 sector flow of income, etc. But I think it's the same for every subject, learning the basics/nit and grit of things to ensure you can understand the more complex topics. Once you learn this, it gets interesting to me in my opinion.

williamc

HSC
mat2154 said:
i heard that business is many times easier than eco hence the crap scaling. but if you like it and know you will do well than it doesn't really matter
It doesn't scale better because it is harder, it scales better due to the students in economics generally being more studious and as a whole better academically (on comparasion to performance on other subjects)

To answer the question in detail:

Economics:

Pro's:
Scales better
MOST people find it more interesting than Business Studies
Cramming for this subject works a treat if you study to the syllabus and practice on past exam questions.
Year 12 economics applies to real life.
Gives you ahead start if you want to study commerce/eco at uni
45% of students get BAnd 5 or higher.

Cons:
MOST say it is harder than Business Studies
Year 11 economics is extremely theory based and at times boring.
If you don't understand one thing, you often don't understand a whole chunk of the syllabus as it links all togther.

Business Studies:

Pro's:
MOST say it is easier than Economics
Ranking high in this subject is usually easier than in economics becuase the canditure isn't usually as good academically.
Helpful for Uni (commerce)
Helpful for real life is starting up a business

Con's:
Scales poorly on comparision
Huge amounts of content that needs to be memorised.
Very theoretical
Only 5% get Band 6, as compared to 15% in eco
Most students find this subject more boring than economics.

Hopefully that helps you choose :p

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
Where do you get the statistics that '45% of students get BAnd 5 or higher.' for Economics?

and I think you made a typo in the first Pro point in Business Studies

Should read 'MOST say it is easier than Economics'

Good advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)