• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

eco Strategies of China (1 Viewer)

shuning

HSC
i got his essasy question, after 3 lame attempts i still only got a band 4 quality! came some1 please tell me how can i improve this to a band 6? the question is

"Analyze the impact of globalization on the economic (growth and development) performance of a country other than Australia. Evaluate the strategies that this country is implementing to achieve economic growth and development."

and below is a attackment of my lame essay, please help me, this counts towards 10% of my HSC.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
intro---> answer the question directly, and define some key words, like 'economic development' and also put some statistics, such as for economic development (HDI etc). And then outline the strategies, (give dates as to when they were implemented)

Body---> talk about strategies (give dates again), current statistics, the trend and then afterwards outline the effect it has on the economy

End---> try and predict what is going to happen if this keeps going on, what is going to happen economy etcetc

The one thing i stress to u the most is to use statistics to back up what u have said!!!

LordPc

HSC
perhaps mention the one child policy

one child means that after a couple years women can re enter the workforce making china more productive, as opposed to raising 3 children which means the mother never works again

FlyingHigh26

HSC
"Analyze the impact of globalization on the economic (growth and development) performance of a country other than Australia. Evaluate the strategies that this country is implementing to achieve economic growth and development."

China's a big one, because there are so many factors that contribute to China's economic growth. I would suggest you talk about stuff such as

- Brief introduction on China's economic history, such as moving out from the cultural revolution and introducing China's "Economic Zone's" policy, allowing foreign competitors to enter the market
- The growth in investment; look particularly at FDI flows and business growth within the market.
- The growth in employment. By liberating part of the domestic chinese economy and moving it from a centrally planned to a gradual free market practice has pulled over 530 million people out of poverty
- Growth rates; GDP growth has remained over 10% for the past 15 years, exports in manufactured goods take up approximately 25% of all manufactured goods in the world
-Government policy; even political policies to assist the environment, or the recent 950 billion US dollar stimulus package created to assist fast growth.
- The major thing about this particular assignment (which I learned) is that you need to factor economic growth INTO economic development. You need to develop a link on how economic growth has assisted economic development (ie: rapid decrease in poverty rates)

Its a lot of information, but I would suggest you can easily get 4 pages of typed wording on this assignment in an essay format. I'm not sure whether they expect you to include some information relating to the financial crisis, the syllabus as far as i know has not been updated towards it but you can always use it as extra information (your own information can get you extra points)

Most of all, make sure your essay FLOWS! I tutor a few people from my past school and their essays don't flow and don't have a consistant argument towards the reader. Also, in economics, don't assume that someone knows what something means; inculde definitions and interpretations or even quotes. The Economist, SMH, The Australian and the Herald are all good sources, as well as the IMF, WTO, Wikipedia and Treasury or Central Bank websites for information. I also seriously suggest you look out for articles by Ross Gittins in the Business Opinion section on Saturdays in the Sydney Morning Herald. He follows the current syllabus and writes in relation to where you should be up to... last year he did a big article on china which i included in my assignment.

I hope this is enough information to help you. Good luck in the rest of your HSC!

tutor2141

HSC
N/A
FlyingHigh26 covered the necessary detail fairly well.

Another thing to mull over, when I wrote my essays, i found that including very current and esoteric, (to 12th graders and possibly some teachers), information went down very well with markers - especially when it doesn't detract from your line of argument.

Think about the Chinese push to establish itself in Australia's resource industry and what it means at a time like this. For example, state-owned Chinese companies have taken over or bought large stakes in a lot of resource companies. See Sinosteel buying Midwest Corp., Minmetals going after struggling OZ minerals, etc. Try to draw some meaning from this, China attempting to purchase companies at the bottom of the cycle. Should the govt (FIRB) allow it? If not, how does the govt deal with the alternatives? Who will provide finance to these projects if the Chinese cant get stakes? And just mention that its a very fine line government needs to walk.

Cheers:)

FlyingHigh26

HSC
FlyingHigh26 covered the necessary detail fairly well.

Another thing to mull over, when I wrote my essays, i found that including very current and esoteric, (to 12th graders and possibly some teachers), information went down very well with markers - especially when it doesn't detract from your line of argument.

Think about the Chinese push to establish itself in Australia's resource industry and what it means at a time like this. For example, state-owned Chinese companies have taken over or bought large stakes in a lot of resource companies. See Sinosteel buying Midwest Corp., Minmetals going after struggling OZ minerals, etc. Try to draw some meaning from this, China attempting to purchase companies at the bottom of the cycle. Should the govt (FIRB) allow it? If not, how does the govt deal with the alternatives? Who will provide finance to these projects if the Chinese cant get stakes? And just mention that its a very fine line government needs to walk.

Cheers:)
Maybe even if you wanted to expand on some of these comments, you could look at Chinaelco's impact within the marketplace in relation to globalisation through Australia (eg: takeover bids for Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton). Don't forget that your assignment is based on globalisation IN China and the IMPACT it has had on the Chinese economy. I could suggest you can talk about the impact globalisation has had on the rest of the world in relation to China as well, but don't stray too far from the question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)