• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Eco study plan? (1 Viewer)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
hey guys, I'm an eco accelerant just starting prelim. Just wondering, how do you guys study? What are your study plans for eco like?

shuning

HSC
read the txt book ( just read thru so u have a basic concept in ur head )
do questions ( i find those chapter summeries question from the Riley txt books help full ).
go back to the txt book ( this time take notes )
maybe try do few practice essasy and get a tutor? LOL

anywayz my eco sucks!! school rank 12/19

if some1 got a better plan please post here ^^

LordPc

HSC
Eco is pretty easy if you pay attention in class and understand the concepts

the only hard thing for me was globalisation and the study of another country. Everything else though is pretty much in the textbook and not that hard to grasp.

Also know your definitions of terms and use them. There are a few marks in the test that relate back to basic definitions, eg "Define Globalisation" as a 2 marker in the short answer questions. so you must know how to articulate definitions to get some easy marks. So make a list as you go through the work. There are a lot, so if you have several pages worth then dw, that is normal. I'd be more worried if you only had a page of definitions

other than that, essays are the key. 40 marks are based on 2 essays so you have to be strong with them if you want a band 6. do as many as possible from past papers. with any luck the HSC question this year will just be a reworded essay question from a past year cause in all honesty they have probably asked every essay question they can.

BOSSSSS

HSC
I don't study that much for Economics. Our techer isn't that great! I rely on past student's notes, the textbooks, mindmaps (big help!), study groupd and past questions (very important!)

LFCglory

HSC
I did my HSC last yr, and frankly when it comes to the trials and hsc, you want your notes to be as short and precise as possible since u have other subjects to study as well. i learnt that the hard way :S . my notes were like anything from 6 - 10 pages per chapter. As for studying, make thorough notes and read them for 1-2hrs/week until u get a good grasp of the concepts, then a week before the test u should cram stats, trends and revise ur notes. it worked for me.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
if ur making notes, u shouldnt just 'read and then type', after u have typed it up, just memorise them.
OR, just read through text book many times, in prep for trials, HSC etc, and memorise it.

FlyingHigh26

HSC
Textbook is good to understand the grasp definitions and concepts in relation to your area of study. HOWEVER! Don't rely on it to help you in an essay!!! Especially if you have an older textbook, some of the material in there can be outdated and slightly undercooked in relation to the concepts. Case studies are the best thing to have; especially articles by Ross Gittin's in the SMh on Saturdays. He writes things in relation to what you study now, so if you can find them, READ THEM! They are incredibly easy to understand, and they explain economic terms and concepts in explicit detail. Articles by The Economist, The Australian etc are great as well; if your library gets newspapers every day, I suggest you spend 10 minutes of your free period or lunch reading some of the material, as it can help.

For me and our class, we always had class discussions on different concepts and ideas, and current economic issues. That way we could express our opinions but also get other ideas from other kids in the class. If your class doesn't do class discussions, maybe find a buddy who you can discuss these things with. It seriously does help!

Also, learn how to write economics essays! One of the things I struggled in Year 11 with economics is that I would write an english essay in economics. Economic's essays need to be precise and descriptive; Don't waffle because you will most likely lose points for it. At our school, our principle (also my economics teacher) introduced a Personal Best or PB20 Challenge where you had to attempt to do 20 essays (at least 4 from each subject, and at least 1 from each area of study) and I managed to do 6 extra essays on top of the 4 required and I got a 19 out of 20 in my trial exam. It was on a ferocious catholic paper too so I was pretty stoked...

Mostly, practice is the best way to learn economics. I loved economics, and am now going to Macquarie Uni to do Business Admin with Economics... If you do the extra bit here and there and go into more depth about certain concepts and ideas, it will seriously benefit you in the end. Economics is highly ranked by the Board of Studies, and anything over 75% will seriously improve your UAI.

Good luck with your HSC, and have fun in Economics...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)