• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ECON 200 or 201 (1 Viewer)

Kutay

University
HSC
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if I could get someone’s help in regards whether to choose econ 200 or 201!

I am about to go away to Europe for 7 weeks in which i will miss 2 weeks of uni.
I am currently enrolled in busl350, accg353 and econ201. However i have spoke around and people say that econ200 is an easier? Is this true?

Regards Kutay

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Most people find Microeconomics easier. I did ECON201, Macroeconomics, and found it to be alright. I find Macro more interesting than Micro.

I'd continue with whatever you thought was easier during first year, Macro or Micro.

Tabris

HSC
ECON200 - extension of 1st year, more neoclassical maths on utility maximisation, profit maximisation, prices, wage etc. on different types of utility/profit/cost curves

ECON201 - extends upon 1st year into ISLM model and AD/AS model, It was great back when Trevor Whitehead and Rod O' Donnell did it and really helpful when it comes to understanding the current macro position.

if u want to do something thats more of a challenge (a research essay on econ201) and more interesting, choose econ201. If u just want it out of the and mechanical neoclassical calculations choose 200.

The readings i think has changed so i cnt help u there, but back when i did it, Trevor Whitehead and Rod O' Donnell afixed up some excellent summaries and notes which can be easily digersted and not overwhelming. unfortunately (and cheap).

As for 200, its a useless textbook, and if Glen Jones havent changed his style, its just lecture slides....and thats all you need for a D really

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
I'm guessing that Tabris did ECON201 a few years ago since I did it last year and it was absolutely crap! We had a new lecturer who had a very strong European accent and didn't know how to teach. All she would do is read from the lecture slides which were made by the people who wrote the textbook!

There was no research essay, just a mid-sem test.

Alex Blair took over for the last few weeks and he was decent, but by that time no one came to the lectures.

The tutorials are compulsary and you (groups of 2 or 3) need to answer the weeks questions at least twice in the semester. That means that you don't learn anything since the tutor just sits on the side while the students write out the answers on the board (often wrongly) with little to no explanation.

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
For Econ200, Glenn Jones' teaching style is really boring in my opinion. He pretty much reads off the slides during his lectures. I had him for the first half of the course and i couldnt understand half the stuff he was teaching and the textbook wasnt good either, so that didnt help.

In the second half of the course, we had another lecturer called Michael Olive. He is much better, but he leaves blanks in his lecture notes to make you attend his lectures. Those notes are useful in answering the final exam questions.

As for Econ201, I am doing it next semester.

I dont have a choice since i have to do both units as part of my course.

HSC
I had the enjoyable opportunity of doing both.

Econ201 a few years before, and econ200 just this sem.

Econ201 was more "interesting" and as mentioned previously extends from the whole AD/AS etc that was introduced in econ111. I felt it went more in depth then the stuff we went through in Econ200. (Also it involved doing a presentation that I didnt enjoy as much due to an illusive partner)

Econ200 pretty much introduces a lot of mini topics, but not to the amount of detail that econ201 entails (my opinion)
I found it easier, as you're given past exam papers which are pretty much the same as the midsemesters and the final. (spoonfedspoonfedspoonfed)
The amount of reading isnt much, as the book is pretty small itself and most of it's pretty irrelevant.

So if you want an 'easier' subject I think Econ200's the way to go.
If you're more itnerested in macro, go do econ201

BoganBoy

HSC
201 is an exemption subject for acst students. and i advise anyone whos not doing acst to stay away from acst exemption subjects. well i cant because im doing acst myself. but if you can avoid it do so.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
BoganBoy said:
201 is an exemption subject for acst students. and i advise anyone whos not doing acst to stay away from acst exemption subjects. well i cant because im doing acst myself. but if you can avoid it do so.
Nah you guys will have your hands full with Stat271 :p

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
BoganBoy said:
Not so much of a big deal in ECON201 to be honest. It's done by all econ students and AppFin students. An almost un-avoidable unit since it is the pre-requisite for 335, 350 and 360.

I always enjoyed Macro more than Micro, loved this subject a couple of years back, research essay was great. Looks like it's changed now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)