ECON141- anyone out there who can help? (1 Viewer)

Monstar

HSC
Hey,

So i've been to the first few lectures of econ 141, and i dont know what the hell is going on. The lecturer is somewhat hard to follow and understand and he seems to jump into things at a fast pace, so i was just wondering if anyone had any summarised notes (typed, written whatever). It would be greatly appreciated and i would gladly pay top dollar for them.

Monstar

HSC
awww

i thought this subject was meant to be stat170 all over again.. except its more crazy. Someone help!!! BUMP

akiva

HSC
N/A
Same here.

Everyone says this unit is supposed to be easy with a D or HD almost guaranteed - sure doesn't seem like it right now!

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
I dont find ECON141 easy either and sometimes I cant seem to hear what that lecturer is saying, he seems to swallow his words.

havy

HSC
maybe because the lecturers have changed, i remember a few yrs ago when roselyn was still teaching (the french lecturer), econ141 was very very easy.

sja

dingleberry
HSC
Hey how you going buddy

ECON 141 is basically economics and statistics combined in one.

The first two chapters we've covered so far as basically these;

* Going over basic statistical analysis, like mode, mean, median of number sets and data

* We also went over how to find area's under the normal curve. These are basic STAT 170/171 skills (as in, finding the area to the RIGHT of a curve after a certain point).

Also things like finding areas (probabilities, which can also be convereted into percentages) using the formulas;

z = y - |u
-------
o

The 'z' score you look up in the 'z' table is the 'y' value you want to find, minus the average, all divided by the standard deviation. For example if the answer is 1.06, you look up 1.06 in the Z table (look at 1.0... then find the 0.06 in the vertical column).

This will gives you a number, say 0.2734 for example, and thats the probability of area to the RIGHT of the curve.

Let's say your 'z' score was -1.06 - since the curve is symmetrical you just have to do "1 minus the score of the positive 1.06".

==============

Note this rule - this applies to HEAPS of formulas in statistics. It's the 'y' value minus the average, divided by a standard deviation.

This will also apply to 't' statistics (We use T statistics when we cant measure the whole population and we don't have the REAL standard deviation because it takes too much time to measure everything, so we just use a sample)

================

Confidence intervals --> When we use hypothesis tests we want to be 95% confident of our results. This is discussed soon in the lecture notes I think......

It's usually --

AVERAGE NUMBER (PLUS OR MINUS) the 95% confidence number times the STANDARD ERROR

==================

Also remember that we just learned something new compared to our old stats - Variance.

The variance is standard deviation squared. So we square root V(X) to get sigma.

To find variance, its in the book. I think its something like the first number minus the average, all squared... then add it to the {next number minus the average... all squared} But dont quote me I forgot ;P

====================

Im not saying Im a pro @ this subject. I got 69 in stat 170 and I was expecting higher since I was on like 93% for in-class crap! But yeah good luck with it if u need hope gimme a pop on msn !! sabdow@gmail.com

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Don't worry, Monstar. You'll be fine, bro.

If you've done statistics, just revise all the formulas. If not, just try to understand the mathematics. The lectures can be confusing, that's why I never went to them.

dracover

HSC
i must stress do the past papers i cant strress that enough the exam is like the same every year with the numebrs changed. even the long answer question are the same just alternated from yr to yr.

alll u realli need to know for econ 141 is how to do a t-test z- test (which u did in stat 170/171)and some theory on the later chapters and u cant fail.

deviates106

HSC
N/A
havy said:
maybe because the lecturers have changed, i remember a few yrs ago when roselyn was still teaching (the french lecturer), econ141 was very very easy.
She's not French - She's South American

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
Hey, for the assignment does anyone have any idea on how to do Question 10.

Thanks for your help

dracover

HSC
i'm i know its late but might still be useful for revision. the onli thing i can see them expecting u to say is that there is negative correlation but the coefficient is positive which cannot be the case. an increase in G should have a positive effect on Y ignoring the other variables.

the onli explaination would be that a change in G effects the other variables i.e.. A and X in such a way as to effect the Y negatively instead of positively. in other words correlation between G and X , and/or G and A. Thus another coefficient correlation variable should be included (dont think u guys do anything on that so just recognising it should be enough)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)