Econ141 (1 Viewer)

gnrlies

HSC
Is anyone doing this?

Why o Why does everyone say how easy it is???????

Roger Tonkin is the most boring lecturer ive ever had (surpassing alan mcharg). So much so that I decided not to go to his 3 hour lectures (another mistake... What on earth were they thinking. 20 mins of that stuff is enough to fry your brain let alone 3 hours).

Anyway, to cut a long story short im essentially doing the whole unit in a week.

So far im up to multivariable regression. Ive just read the notes, and think I understand it (although there are 1000 proceedures I still need to remember).

Anyways...

Post exam thoughts if you wish.

dritz2003

HSC
N/A
I'm in the same boat here... trying to plow through it all in a week

Have you read the Econ141 discussion forum, I thought this was funny:

Date: Monday, June 5, 2006 7:51pm
Author: Edwin Onggo

do you think our lecturer is a reeli grumpy stuck-up dude... or is dat just my impression?

Date: Monday, June 5, 2006 7:52pm

i would like to apologise for my comment, it was meant to be a private message.

I didnt mean to put it up on webCT.
lol at least I'm not that guy

CrashOveride

HSC
I started studying yesterday, also up to multiple regression analysis but im going through tutes as well. Hopefully get it all done before the weekend :/

Tabris

HSC
I dont find McHarg boring, hes one of the best lecturers, he has a weird but good sense of humor at times, did Edwin Franks do any lectures?

As for ECOn141, the tests dont vary that much, so see past tests and the format should be about the same.

Do well in it, because the marks will be easy if u do done the right exercises and readings.

hello2004

McHarg is awesome.

Date: Monday, June 5, 2006 7:51pm

do you think our lecturer is a reeli grumpy stuck-up dude... or is dat just my impression?

Date: Monday, June 5, 2006 7:52pm

i would like to apologise for my comment, it was meant to be a private message.

I didnt mean to put it up on webCT.
hahahahaha

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
dritz2003 said:
I'm in the same boat here... trying to plow through it all in a week

Have you read the Econ141 discussion forum, I thought this was funny:

lol at least I'm not that guy
haha i went to primary school with that guy!!!!! Hes cool though :)
I gotta cram this piece of shit subject in a couple of days now :(

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
This subject is super crammable.

21 hrs of work = 71. Never went to lectures, etc.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
redruM said:

:jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw:

Amazing I wish all subjects are like that!!! hhahaha

gnrlies

HSC
Yeah we will have to see.....

I think when im done with the cramming, I might be able to feel more confident...

My bitch about mcharg is that he provides little structure in his lectures...

Theres no lecture notes, and really everything you rely on is your own notes from his lectures. He also talks in a really pompous manner which I find harder to follow than a more straight forward form of language.

In comparing him to michael olive and glen jones (econ200) he is rubbish. I found those lecturers to be far more informative and easy to follow (due to the comprehensive lecture notes)...

Sometimes I wonder whether mcharg can use a computer!

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Mcharg is one of the best lecturers that I have had. Also, Michael Quilter (BUSL301). Neither of them used lecture slides, when I studied under them. That, to me, shows a very strong grasp of the content, and better than lecturers that basically read off lecture slides.
The manner in which Mcharg would explain things was very professional and clear. I was in ECON200 earlier in this semester and found one of the lecturers to be a very incompetant speaker. He kept "ummm-ing".

CrashOveride

HSC
redruM said:

Did Roger make a fuss about not relying too much on past papers when you did it?

Tabris mentioned past papers are good but in webCT people also asked him that and he made a fuss about how you should concentrate on the tutes and S&R stuff etc. and that we'll get tested on what we learnt this semester blabla....

gnrlies

HSC
Different people learn in different ways.

Not everyone likes to learn by listening to some guy for two hours. Some need to prepare for a lecture before they go to it (i.e. look at online notes before hand) and some need to look over it a few times after the lecture in order to hammer in the concepts. And if you are like me, you are likely to miss a few lectures as well as having to do these things.

Mchargs style makes it impossible for someone like myself to learn at my most effective pace. Writing down my own notes distracts me from the explanation, and I cant do any prep for the lecture.

So whilst some might say that uni students have it "easy" today, and someone like mcharg might have the attitude that we shouldn't be spoonfed - I totally disagree, because using online resources is a way that technology has helped make learning easier.

So whether you found mcharg better or not is something you are making on your own judgement of what you got out of it, and thats ok, but for many other people who might learn differently to you, mcharg is a difficult lecturer to learn under.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
gnrlies said:
Different people learn in different ways.

Not everyone likes to learn by listening to some guy for two hours. Some need to prepare for a lecture before they go to it (i.e. look at online notes before hand) and some need to look over it a few times after the lecture in order to hammer in the concepts. And if you are like me, you are likely to miss a few lectures as well as having to do these things.

Mchargs style makes it impossible for someone like myself to learn at my most effective pace. Writing down my own notes distracts me from the explanation, and I cant do any prep for the lecture.

So whilst some might say that uni students have it "easy" today, and someone like mcharg might have the attitude that we shouldn't be spoonfed - I totally disagree, because using online resources is a way that technology has helped make learning easier.

So whether you found mcharg better or not is something you are making on your own judgement of what you got out of it, and thats ok, but for many other people who might learn differently to you, mcharg is a difficult lecturer to learn under.
Yeap, you are precisely correct. :)

The other lecturer I mentioned, Quilter, also promoted note-taking while he spoke. Like you said, I personally find that a better way to learn.

By the way, I wasn't pushing my opinions onto anyone (well, it wasn't my intention).

Tabris

HSC
redruM said:
The manner in which Mcharg would explain things was very professional and clear. I was in ECON200 earlier in this semester and found one of the lecturers to be a very incompetant speaker. He kept "ummm-ing".

Thats Michael Olive,

alot of uhms and ah's , he does know the content, but not everyone is a good speaker

I dont think Joyeux would be a major improvement compared to Tonkin.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)