Economic Problem - The Government (1 Viewer)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I really don't understand how the Government in a market economy solves the economic problem. I know that they use the 4 questions to solve it, but it still doesn't make sense to me! Does PPF/C have anything to do with this process as well? I'm so lost =(

Help?

Thanks!

blakegman

HSC
N/A
more info please. don't really understand what you mean

munchiecrunchie

HSC
I'm not too sure what you're getting at, but I think you mean the role of the Govt.

The government intervenes in the market economy to ensure that socially desirable outcomes are achieved when the economic problem is solved.

What to produce
- illicit drugs are banned because society deems them as harmful and so Govt bans the production of this.
- govt can be the producer and can provide collective goods which private firms are unwilling to produce eg railways

How much to produce
- some goods are deemed more desirable, and so govt grants subsidies to encourage greater production.
- Some goods are limited, using quotas.
- Encourages the production of merit goods

How to produce
- Govt can influence factors of production and how they are utilised, eg through IR laws, can set minimum wage rates
- occupational health and safety laws affect how goods and services are produced

How to distribute
- affected by govt policies
- high income inequality is socially undesirable, so a progressive income tax system allows this re - distribution of income to occur, through social welfare payments.

The role of the govt in the Australian economy causes Australia's economy to become a mixed market economy.

Hope that helped.

Last edited:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
wow, I finally understand it!
Thanks so much munchiecrunchie, you got my exact meaning ;D

gnrlies

HSC
Few problems are solved by governments....

But yes, that is probably the right take...

I would simply challenge the notion of governments thinking they have a responsibility to intervene.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)