economics majors (1 Viewer)

i-color

Just want to ask...are there only THREE majors to choose from for economics? I'm doing economics/law....which means i can only do one major. does that mean my major is either going to be economics, economoetrics or financial economics?

What's the difference between them? So i won't be able to do finance or international biz and all those? And doesn't it sound weird if you say you have a economics degree and you majored in economics?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by i-color
Just want to ask...are there only THREE majors to choose from for economics? I'm doing economics/law....which means i can only do one major. does that mean my major is either going to be economics, economoetrics or financial economics?

What's the difference between them? So i won't be able to do finance or international biz and all those? And doesn't it sound weird if you say you have a economics degree and you majored in economics?
theres actually a fourth - economic history
so yes ur major in eco/law will be one of those 4
financial economics is pretty similar to a finance major - except u have more quantitative skills than a person with a finance major
econometrics is a much more quantitative based major than economics, it means ur gonna b working more with the mathematics of economics rather anything else

i-color

ohhh.....so which one would you recommend? my friend says economoetrics is very useful nowadays because economics has become so quantitive.....but i don't really like mathematics. Is economics major just plain economic theory etc?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ohhh.....so which one would you recommend? my friend says economoetrics is very useful nowadays because economics has become so quantitive.....but i don't really like mathematics. Is economics major just plain economic theory etc?
yes econometrics will get u the most jobs, but yes a lot of maths/stats
the economics major is not exactly all theory..u still have to do compulsory econmetrics units in 2nd year. however u have to realise that in your 3rd year economics electives, whatever u choose, u still use a lot of maths - because all the theories taught are mathematically inclined (ie use maths to prove/use theories)

i-color

So do you recommend doing commerce or economics? Like if I'm just gonna be majoring in economics in my commerce degree, is it jsut the same to do economics rather than commerce? I just don't have to do accounting in economics right?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
So do you recommend doing commerce or economics? Like if I'm just gonna be majoring in economics in my commerce degree, is it jsut the same to do economics rather than commerce? I just don't have to do accounting in economics right?
Well, its complicated.
What exactly do u want to major in? If u do commerce, u can't major in economics the same way as an Economics degree..in commerce, the major is called Business Economics..which doesnt qualify u to become a professional economist per se
U still have to do Accounting 1A and 1B in 1st year Economics

i-color

Ohh well I want to major in economics.....so I think I'll stick with a Bec...i want to become a professional economist. :D

What's financial economics like? And also, do you have any idea about that academic advisory day at unsw? I can't attend them...cos I've got the all roudners ceremony on the 3rd and will be OS on the 17th.....is it very necessary to go?

i-color

ooo thanks! that website is pretty good! After reading that, I think i am definite i want to do economics. that's where i'm most interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)