Economics --raw Mark--approx?? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Without Wings said:
so true, nothing can be predicted in terms of the HSC :)
All it takes is some random question to throw you off track: for me, "random" constitutes any question relating to the environment :p (damn environmental economics)

pungpui

HSC
look dont get so fixed up on your internal mark. I just wished everyone was told about how the interal mark gets used.

Your internal mark literally means nothing. It is the rank that come out of it that is important. Say for example, you are 2nd in the grade. Your internal mark is 85%, the first place mark is 90%. Then in the HSC the first place person gets 95, and you get 93. Then you as the second place person will get 93. Why? because the internal mark submitted to the BOS is a RANK. If you got 25% for your internal mark (still 2nd), while the first place getter got 30%, you will have still ended up with 93. What changes it is when in the HSC you get the first place. Then your HSC mark (say 95) is matched up with your internal rank (2nd, and if the person you took over as first got 93, then your internal mark will be 93). So your actual mark will be that average.

I dunno if you understand, its really hard to explain.

But for me, I ended up with a trial mark of 78/100 (I'm not supposed 2 know that!). My rank was tied 3rd with 4 people. My HSC mark was 96, my 3rd rank mark was 94, so I ended up with 95. So even though I got 78 in my trials, I obviously kicked ass in the HSC to get 96.

Im not saying that if your internal mark is 85, you're guaranteed a band 6. Look at your rank, use last years results as an indicator. If 1/3 ppl got band 6 last year, and your 2nd out of eg 40 students, then your pretty likely to get one a swell.

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
w00t that makes me feel a lot better pungpui...just btw how much more did you work after trials and what did you change?

pungpui

HSC
umm i shouldnt be telling you this but after the trials i was seriously so sick of it, didnt really a shit anymore. So I wasnt like 'oh shit i did crap, study study study'. I pretty much studies for the HSC like I did for the trials (which gave me 78!). And I kept handing in practise essays, which I was pissed off coz I kept getting like 15's and 14's out of 20 for them.

So I dunno what that says to you or means, but dont go light on the study coz u did well or are giving up. Just be persistant and just coz ur practise ur getting like 15's doesnt mean you'll fuck up the hsc.

And a word of hint, dont dwell on the multiple choice aftawords...i know right after the exam this forum is crazy with people putting up wat they had as multiple choice answers, and it only makes you nervous. Just dont look at it, makes you scared and fucks up your study and rest period before the next exam.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
pungpui said:
And a word of hint, dont dwell on the multiple choice aftawords...i know right after the exam this forum is crazy with people putting up wat they had as multiple choice answers, and it only makes you nervous. Just dont look at it, makes you scared and fucks up your study and rest period before the next exam.
Well, fortunately Economics is virtually the last exam in the whole HSC period so for all but Drama students, there's no next exam to worry about :)

Btw. what school did you go to pungpui? Your teacher must've marked those essays of yours very harshly.

pungpui

HSC
no i meant as in general, dont look at the forums about multiple choice answers, eg if you do business studies as well, which is earlier on, it just screws you up and gets you pissed off.

I went to Cherrybrook, no the teacher I dont think was a particularly hard marker. She's an HSC ER marker, so i'm saying shes realistic (lol that might make you nervous now!).

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hehe...well hopefully she doesn't mark my paper this year :p. Maybe she just marks the responses more harshly in class than she would in the HSC. 78 and 96 seems like a fair difference given that you said you worked at about the same level before the HSC as before the trials...even if the marks are aligned up.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought if there was a small discrepancy they would give you the higher mark....

i.e 14 and 15; they would give you 15, not 14.5 (the average)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
For English, they marks the script a third time if the discrepancy is 5 marks or more. Otherwise they take the average of the two given marks.

Skewl

HSC
Scaling worries

My school doesnt have moderated marks for some reason, like for eg i got 92 for my economics exam and thats all its staying to like theres not gonna be any scaling to it. Is that alrite or are they supposed to scale it?

volition

arr.
HSC
The school isn't the one that does the moderating, I think its the BOS (the real bos) who do that. You might be getting confused somewhere

You do your assessments, the school records your marks and ranks, sends them to BOS, and the BOS will then apply their 'mystical magical process' to the assessment marks depending on how you and your class go in the HSC exams.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Yep. To reiterate:
- BOS aligns and moderates raw marks: it's the aligned and moderated marks that you'll eventually view on the Net
- UAC scales the marks for use in the calculation of UAIs

Skewl

HSC
OH alrite thats better....because one of my friends from anotehr school got 70 sumthing for economics and her school scaled it up to like 82. WHich i dont think is quite fair to the rest of the state.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Skewl said:
OH alrite thats better....because one of my friends from anotehr school got 70 sumthing for economics and her school scaled it up to like 82. WHich i dont think is quite fair to the rest of the state.
Yep. It doesn't matter what the school does with the raw marks. As long as the relative difference between each student is maintained when they submit the marks to BOS then it has no effect on the final outcome and therefore neither advantages nor disadvantages other students in NSW.

gorgo31

HSC
I have this... friend... who's Economics teacher adds two or three marks to everyone's raw mark sent into the BOS because he believes he marks too hard. I told... my friend... to tell his teacher that doing so wouldn't make any difference, because the marks would all be moderated according to the group's exam performance anyway. I'm right, aren't I?

P.S. Mind the subtlety :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
gorgo31 said:
I have this... friend... who's Economics teacher adds two or three marks to everyone's raw mark sent into the BOS because he believes he marks too hard. I told... my friend... to tell his teacher that doing so wouldn't make any difference, because the marks would all be moderated according to the group's exam performance anyway. I'm right, aren't I?

P.S. Mind the subtlety :D
Yes you're right. Since the relative differences and ranks are presevered, the actual "mark" your teacher submits means absolute nothing.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Im on 96 - 1/16 but that does not assure me a band 6, infact it doesn't assure anything... I still have to apply myself thoroughly for the HSC. I will however assist anyone wit their questions on these economics threads with that statistic standing as my credential.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)