Economics Summaries (1 Viewer)

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
What has everyone found the best and easiest method for summarising economics is? There's so much content I don't know what to summarise and what not to bother with...

felixcthecat

HSC
refer to past exam questions, make sure u hav notes for all those, then check with the syllabus to add stuff you don't already hav~?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do your normal sumamries to start with. i.e Based on the syllabus etc. This will set out the basic, fundamental knowledge you need to know about each concept and area.

However, economics requires you to demonstate how all those concepts will interact and influence one another.
To achieve this, you need to find the links between each part of the syllabus and understand how everything relates to everything else.

Some common ways of doing this are 1. Creating mindmaps, 2. Practice questions/outlines.

I never did many mindmaps myself, and couldnt really comment on them, but they do seem like a good way of visually setting out the interactions between concepts.

Doing practice questions is a must however. This includes both Short answer and extended response. Get your hand on as many as you can (See: http://community.boredofstudies.org/22/economics/21813/short-answers.html )
Answering these will force you to develop an understanding of relationships within economics. After answering them, create a little dot point summary of your response for easy revision. And for essays get them checked by your teacher!

The syllabus will tell you what you need to be 'bothered' with, so keep within that.

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
Thanks guys!!... I suck at economics.... the saddest thing is I'm coming first in my class of like 12... but I hope to one day become the best economist in the world!!!! ahahaha .... not really..

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
moo_moo_molly said:
Thanks guys!!... I suck at economics.... the saddest thing is I'm coming first in my class of like 12... but I hope to one day become the best economist in the world!!!! ahahaha .... not really..
lol im in the same situation as you, im ranked first and I don't even know half the stuff I'm learning.. Thanks for the study tips!

Dragie

HSC
lol So am I - It kinda makes you think, if we don't know what the hell we're doing but coming first, how must the others feel? Damn...we need to study

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
Well its comforting to know that im not the only one in this situation... it doesn't help at all that my teacher cant teach either... but ... you get that with social sciences

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Summarising by the syllabus can sometimes be quite tedius (it requires some thinking1! :) ) The alternative is to just summarise a good textbook. I'd recommend the Bulmer and/or the Dixon. Listen to some music while you're typing up boring eco notes aswell, it's quite relaxing.

Remember that the textbook is your friend :p. rote learn the textbook and you're already half way from exam success. Chuck a couple of economist quotes into essays aswell to make you sound impressive.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The syllabus is quite badly structured for some areas such as economic management. It can be used as a guide but I'd definately advise against using it as the structure for a summary. While the exam is supposed to be written according to the syllabus, 40 marks of it are allocated to essays where you can add alot more detail than simply what the syllabus requires. (btw I got 97 raw in the trials and 97 in the exam)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
By all means, make sure you've covered all the syllabus dot points, but in answer to the original question...

moo_moo_molly said:
What has everyone found the best and easiest method for summarising economics is?
...I didn't find summarising using the syllabus (as the primary source) either easy or effective compared to summarising using a textbook.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The syllabus is like your bible in the HSC, use it wisely and summarise according to the dotpoints, then research further for the latest stats to use in your essays and generally for more in-depth information.

lilchezza

HSC
i'm guessing that sarah u are moo moo? if so it's chez otherwise don't worry lolz........ just wonderin did divey give us a copy of the syllabus doobie, coz i don't think i have one lolz

Dragie

HSC
Just make sure you know all the concepts - they are the most important to learn.

HSC
Im just finishing off my topic 1 summaries for eco and its im finding it soooo boring.

This is the only subject i sort of really want out of the way cause there is so much stuff to know as in examples etc, thats the only thing that worries me

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
Ok... so now my summary is going off! (by the syllabus)... But i'm completley screwed for me half yearly tomorrow... I have NFI about any of it... Economics I have found is definatley the hardest subject to remember stuff in... I don't plan to remember it for tomorrow now... but i need some kind of really super dooper strategy to help for the HSC... I've tried repetition and memorising but the memorising part just doesnt work...

Last edited:

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
was just reading through this thread... i like it... seems to be good discussion going on... syllabus study is i guess what u gotta do... but then just knowing the syllabus wont get u in the band 6's... need to extend knowledge, back up with statistics, quotes, media, etc....

It's pretty kewl them 2 ppl who arent grasping the concepts are coming 1st... im like working pretty hard.. and in so far form the 1st assessment... im ranking 3rd :S.... and yeh seems like we have very few ppl in our schools doin eco... i got 10 ppl in my class includin myself...

u know when ur studying aswell... dunt let the study just be when ur writing down... for some reason, when im like wakling on the street, on the train, bus, anywhere... i recite my notes in my head... like Why CAD? Consequences of CAD, Factors that affect S and D of Exchange rate.... mixed with abit of legal studies, spanish and pdhpe! lol... english is abit hard to do! hehehe... but yeh... if ur realli into your studies... dream about it aswell... i know thats going ovrboard, but u mite aswell recite a few things in ur dreams... just an idea heheh :)

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
Mr. Sabuncuoglu said:
was just reading through this thread... i like it... seems to be good discussion going on... syllabus study is i guess what u gotta do... but then just knowing the syllabus wont get u in the band 6's... need to extend knowledge, back up with statistics, quotes, media, etc....

It's pretty kewl them 2 ppl who arent grasping the concepts are coming 1st... im like working pretty hard.. and in so far form the 1st assessment... im ranking 3rd :S.... and yeh seems like we have very few ppl in our schools doin eco... i got 10 ppl in my class includin myself...

u know when ur studying aswell... dunt let the study just be when ur writing down... for some reason, when im like wakling on the street, on the train, bus, anywhere... i recite my notes in my head... like Why CAD? Consequences of CAD, Factors that affect S and D of Exchange rate.... mixed with abit of legal studies, spanish and pdhpe! lol... english is abit hard to do! hehehe... but yeh... if ur realli into your studies... dream about it aswell... i know thats going ovrboard, but u mite aswell recite a few things in ur dreams... just an idea heheh :)
You seem to know what you are doing eco... which is awesome... it gives me hope that maybe I too will understand it... As much as i would like to be able to prepare to get a band 6 I really cant see it happening I want to get my act together so that maybe it will be possible but its just so boring...
Trust me... I would much rather be coming 3rd and know what I was doing than coming first and not... I think that we have 13 people in our eco class but just about all of them are as hopeless as me...
I think that your idea of reciting it all in my head is very good... but I'll have to get it in my head first so I can recite it... I can't say that I have ever dreamed about any of my subjects though I'm sure it would be quite marvellous...

Thanks for your input hopefully it will help me!!!

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
yeah.. but then theres this whole argument about if u come 1st for every subject u'll b fine... so ur doing pretty well :)... if you need help with anything jus post here or pm me....

my eco exam is next wednesday... so i gotta prepare more for the essays...
definite extended response wil be the "china" case study, and the two options... either exchange rates or the cad.... :)

nah it aint good to dream about it.. ur not missin' out on much, except when you have them nice dreams of you and a girl, like a romantic setting... and recite like how the RBA intervenes in the Exchange rate.... yeh gets abit fuckd up lol :)

Cheers

HSC
moo_moo_molly said:
Well its comforting to know that im not the only one in this situation... it doesn't help at all that my teacher cant teach either... but ... you get that with social sciences
It's so true. My teacher said this to me the other day which is also very true. He said that if people are good at economics, they'd just go and make money on the market, not becoming a teacher. Though my teacher is pretty good... lol Good to talk to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)