economics @ USYD or UNSW?? (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
What are the differences of studying economics at these two unis?

Is one more theoretical?
Do they have different subjects.

stuff like that.

thanks.

Affinity

HSC
Pretty much the same..

I would recommend against studying economics though..
Half the time in classes is spent clarifying some pedantic point (and often about mathematics).

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i would have to disagree and i think i have the right to disagree since i am doing a major in economics and finance and also do an economics degree.

this again yes haha will depend on the type of class that you sit in. therefore pending on the tutor and how they teach, one can be more pedantic than the other with the theory of how something is to be calculated.

i remember in a first year finance when the tutor started explaining some weird arse acturial stuff and he was very precise on how something was calculated.

whereas in another finance class was focused more on application of theory with maths involved to analyse.

the same goes in economics subjects.

Affinity

HSC
I am fine if they are spending some time going through an interesting point about economics or whatever they are teaching. But quite often time gets spent explaining how to differentiate some expression or how to manipulate some maths.

I think it's an intrinsic problem with the subject at undergraduate level. With the way things are in economics, details will invariably involve somewhat sophisticated mathematics (say if we want to specify the shapes of demand curves for example or if we want to add in some sort of uncertainty and see how it affects our analysis).

So they end up:
1) pushing simple graphs around to teach common sense -> supply demand charts with straight lines.

2) Teach mathematics in an economics course.

penhensurfer

HSC
I know UNSW require a lot more maths in the form of QMA so it shouldn't really be a problem?

At USyd, first year eco requires no maths, and second year at the very hardest, requires simple differentiation. Even then there's consideration given to those who don't know any calculus - this despite 2 unit being a prerequisite for the degree.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Trajan said:
UNSW wins hands down, if you dispute this you are either stupid or a liar -or both like ForeverPink.
LOL Trajan brings another thread into the ring.

economics has a lot of graphs...haha so does finance...omg portfolio management that im doing has a lot of graphs.

and why are we arguing about whether economics has maths or not? isnt economics based on econometrics anyway? so therefore it will be based on maths. haha and im pretty sure that when i came to uni,the recomended maths level was 2 unit, or was it prereq. oh well it escapes me which one it was.

oh and qma is more for those who are gonna do financial maths later on in their program. but qmb is for those who would do econometrics.

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
Difference is Anglos and Asians

If you dont want to associate with Asians, USYD is your destination

and if you dont want to associate with Anglos, UNSW is your destination

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Nasonex said:
Difference is Anglos and Asians

If you dont want to associate with Asians, USYD is your destination

and if you dont want to associare with Anglos, UNSW is your destination
UNSW is asia central??

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha id have to agree with nasonex and i cant be racist since im asian myself.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Both great uni's, UNSW is more part-time compatible (hence why I'm there)..

If I were a fulltimer it'd be USYD no questions about it.

Trajan

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
wtf? there are heaps of Asians at USYD. might not be as much as UNSW but there is still heaps.

Hi, did you get my pm?

Also you shouldn't really base which uni/degree is better, based on whether or not there are lots of asians there.

For the record, Both UNSW and Usyd have plenty of asian students both local and international.

Both unis are pretty similar, with UNSW winning out because wrong_turn and Trajan go there and several other intangible factors that I will not be going into at this moment in time.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Jobwise you wouldn't be disadvantaged at either

So I'd say the 'type' of students you'd be spending your university life with is important

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
OMFG not another usyd vs unsw fucking thread.

rock up to the one thats easier to get to.

it wouldnt matter which uni you go to out of these 2. only your fucking marks matter.

now fuck off;.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
bigboyjames said:
OMFG not another usyd vs unsw fucking thread.

rock up to the one thats easier to get to.

it wouldnt matter which uni you go to out of these 2. only your fucking marks matter.

now fuck off;.
why do you bother posting?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
AznWhiteBoy said:
Um its obvious dat the winner is tokyo uni *roll eyes*
actually iirc sydney is ranked very close to tokyo, if not higher. it's not that great on an international level

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
why do you bother posting?
if you had bothered searching you'd have realised there's god knows how many threads on the whole which university is the best for commerce, eco etc and each post is usually incredibly biased depending on which uni you currently study at or studied at in the past.

Trajan

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
if you had bothered searching you'd have realised there's god knows how many threads on the whole which university is the best for commerce, eco etc and each post is usually incredibly biased depending on which uni you currently study at or studied at in the past.
Not really, I hate UNSW and it's prettaayy sh$t tbh...I go there......Usyd owns all unis in NSW..!!! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)