eco's essay question (1 Viewer)

AGB

HSC
impact of the global economy on the australian economy....anyone hav any ideas????

ellipsis

HSC
um, talk about the importance of trade to the Oz economy. use lots of statistics - go see the DFAT site, they'd have heaps of stuff on that.

you know, say stuff like trade with the global economy benefited the economy by X amount of millions of dollars. It would also make domestic firms more efficent as they have to compete, so productivity would rise - altho some industries might collapse because of cheap imports, so you could mention this as a bad.
trade also provides opportunities for consumers to get products not made here, gives them a wider choice etc.

hmm, maybe i'm getting a bit off topic with extending the whole trade thing.

Well you could talk about when there is a global reccesion and global demand goes down, domestic demand goes down, so we're vulnerable this way. Go a bit deeper and talk about our most important trading partners do something (like Japan and raising beef tariffs - recent examples = good) then it has ramifications within our economy.

aaah, i've gone off into trade again. Well you can see what I've been doing in class recently can't you :D ? Oh well, I think some of that kinda works.
Just read your textbook, that question sounds like a chapter heading from a textbook :p

AGB

HSC
it is straight out of the syllabus....(topic 2 - examine economic issues)

i was thinking something along the lines of exchange rates, trade (as u said) and international business cycle. cept that isnt really that much to talk about.....nemore ideas on content???

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
ok global economy includes australia

so the main focus is that australia has a very small economy compared to the global economy and any fluctuations in the global economy will impact on the aussie economy (give some stats).
then your essay can pick up on the things in the global economy that can effect australia. the essay is very broad. You can talk about business cycles - growth, external stability etc

ellipsis

HSC
No, thats sounding good.
Exchange rates is a good point, you could find a few examples and stats on that, which is good because they can never argue against a statistic.
Yeah, also maybe talk about the importance of FDI to Oz companies.
And you could mention the impact on the labour market - the 'brain drain' effect on Oz labour.

Otherwise, hmm i'm stumped. I keep thinking of trade stuff. trade can spread new technologies and stuff, as ppl can buy them from overseas, so this would also have some wider impacts on productivity, standards of living, allocation of resources etc.
that could be alright.

But yeah, fill it in with examples which is important ( i sound repetitive, but this is something my teacher stresses , in one of those little advice talks she gives all the time that either begins "At the HSC marking centre....." or " To get into the A range...". All the time I tell you !!! Sorry, i'm getting off track. :p But mention an eco essay and I hear her voice in my head repeating things like this again and again) and it will be long enough. That'll stretch a good few pages I'd reckon.

Good Luck :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by AGB
impact of the global economy on the australian economy....anyone hav any ideas????
-define global economy
-discuss aspects of global economy:
explain what has developed with regard to trade, investment, technology, finance and labour
-relate those developments to australia:

1 - How has Australia reacted to the development of the global economy, e.g for trade the lowering of tariffs, signing of treaties, the establishment of austrade and microeconomic reform

2 - how has this impacted on australia - e.g lower prices, greater competition, greater variety of goods, rises in the standard of living, greater structural unemployment, exacerbated trade deficits

3- future developments: this is where you can distinguish yourself by showing current knowledge. Relate any relevant debates: e.g prospective trade deals, problems, fluctuating currency...(and then continue into Balance of payments, investment and finance etc...)

You can either go step by step through the 5 factors of globalisation or make it flow from one to the other more fluently by using the connecting links of trade flows, currency movements, BoP and the impact of improved technology/communications.

- conclusion (if the verb was analyse) be sure to emphasise that there are both positives and negatives to the process of globalisation, but yet it is still an inexorbale force to be harnessed (of course a conclusion of your own would be best!)

I think i've left something out, but i can't be bothered doing the responsible thing and actually searching for the eco textbook or notes and giving you more reliable info, so i think going by the other posts may be a better option :p Good luck! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)