Edison v Westinghouse (1 Viewer)

anurag96

HSC
Hey would anyone have a good sample band 6 response for a typical question on this dot point??

or maybe a link to direct me to a thread that already has this

thanks

hayabusaboston

HSC
In 1800's blah blah blah edson created DC and a variety of appliances using it, while westinghouse created AC and transformers. (Here talk about limitations of DC, ie it has huge energy losses over long distances, voltage cannot be transformed. Compare this with AC, whose voltage can be transformed, and energy losses minimized.)
Edson began a smear campaign against westinghouse to keep his monopoly of electricity. He began to publically electrocute animals to showcase the perceived dangers of AC. He also argued that prisoners on death row should be electrocuted with AC, in an attempt to discredit westinghouse.
In 1887 the town of buffalo offered 100,000 dollars to anyone who could harness the power of niagra falls for their town, which was 30km away from it. Westinghouse won the money because his system using transformers allowed minimal energy losses and cost when transmitting energy from niagra falls to the town.
In 1893, edson offered to power the Chicago World Fair for 1,000,000 dollars. Westinghouse offered to do it for half the price, and eventually won the contract. It soon became clear to the public that AC was superior to DC power, as its properties of transformable voltage and minimal energy losses gave it significant efficiency compared to DC.

Thats the answer i wrote in one of my exams, got full marks iirc.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
In 1800's blah blah blah edson created DC and a variety of appliances using it, while westinghouse created AC and transformers. (Here talk about limitations of DC, ie it has huge energy losses over long distances, voltage cannot be transformed. Compare this with AC, whose voltage can be transformed, and energy losses minimized.)
Edson began a smear campaign against westinghouse to keep his monopoly of electricity. He began to publically electrocute animals to showcase the perceived dangers of AC. He also argued that prisoners on death row should be electrocuted with AC, in an attempt to discredit westinghouse.
In 1887 the town of buffalo offered 100,000 dollars to anyone who could harness the power of niagra falls for their town, which was 30km away from it. Westinghouse won the money because his system using transformers allowed minimal energy losses and cost when transmitting energy from niagra falls to the town.
In 1893, edson offered to power the Chicago World Fair for 1,000,000 dollars. Westinghouse offered to do it for half the price, and eventually won the contract. It soon became clear to the public that AC was superior to DC power, as its properties of transformable voltage and minimal energy losses gave it significant efficiency compared to DC.

Thats the answer i wrote in one of my exams, got full marks iirc.
Lol straight from Jacaranda textbook Physics Focus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)