educational accees scheme (1 Viewer)

sths

just wondering has anybody got this?

if so you supposedly can get into courses at a lower cutoff

does anybody know what these cutoffs are?

GJ_JOE

blood brother
yep, i was able to get it cuz i went to a "disadvantaged" school (read: public, south west sydney)....anyway, you don't really get a lower cut off but extra points that add onto your UAI depending on how "disadvantaged" you are.....disadvantages could include: crappy school, none english speaking background, financial hardships, responsibilities at home, small house etc etc.... there are 5 levels of disadvantage and a friend of mine who got 99.35 for his UAI got FULL disadvantage, so i reckon you're rewarded by how good you can lie!

most ppl at my school got level 2 or 3....that equals to about 3-7 extra points...depending on what course they choose...

HSC
yup i get this cause i go to a shit chool in the middle of nowhere.......

i get suposedly 5 points......meaning i got a uai of 100.....hmmmmmm ah no........what they do is say...u got within 5 points so close enuff....u r in..........suposedly....they reserve the right not to....weird

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
well i dont think eas gives uai pts i think they allow ppl in under cutoffs.
for example the ACCESS scheme for UNSW ranks eas applicants with other applicants for a course. 5% of all UNSW courses are for EAS applicants. so if an eas student wanted to get into say science and their uai was 65 but the cutoff was 77 they would be ranked with others for the place. if no eas student got higher than 65 then the student gets in even if their uai was 12 below the cutoff. its amatter of demand and the quality of those applicants.

professor

non-english background...mm...i've been in Australia since Yr3...and my mother language is cantonese...so does that entitle me to have any 'disadvantages' or do i have to do a ESL course to get one??

nomza

HSC
I don't know all about this talk of "LEVELS" I have not heard anything like that.

But I did get ACCESS for UNSW and USYD and it said that I get 5 points extra.....which means I now have 100.6

but I don't know how many ppl who receivede ACCESS got over 90 in the uais and what kinda courses they're wanting to do....coz I have no idea what I course I'll get into coz I don't know the kinda of demand or marks there are out there.

emz

i got the disadv scheme too
however i was questioning about it at the syd uni open day, and

if u got the scheme for UTS, they'll allow u into courses that are 3-7 points below the cutoff,
and for UNSW and USYD, it's 5 points...

about the many levels of the disadvataged-ness, i've never herd of anything about that...:confused:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Yeah I got it for USYD, for gettin youth allowance and my parents divorce, but I never heard of the levels either. I got 5 points, which doesnt mean I actually get 5 points, but I can get in (Possibly) for up to 5 points lower.
How it works is, say there are 10 EAS applicants who want to get into a course, and there is only 5 EAS places, then the top 5 UAI's out of the EAS applicants will get in, so the bottom five, who may have gotten UAI's within that 5 points extra, still might not get in.
You still have to have a competitve UAI. It depends on the number of EAS applicants for your course, and I guess it might differ withing different universities.
Also, If whole schools are on the sceme, then the scheme itself must be pretty competitive, with a lot of applicants, so it doesnt guarantee entry, we still have to sit and stress with everyone else.
About 5 people got in frmo my school, for various reasons, and I went to a small private school.

on the open day i got told taht for sydney uni engineering courses, usually can get in within 5 places, because not alot of EAS ppl apply for it.

GJ_JOE

blood brother
Originally posted by nomza
I don't know all about this talk of "LEVELS" I have not heard anything like that.
yeah, its not really levels but on the EAS application form there are boxes to tick (office use only) depending on how disadvantaged you are...they are:

1. "not at all"
2."slightly"
3."moderately"
4."considerably"
5."a great deal"

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Yes, there are certain 'levels' of disadvantages with the EAS. Five, like GJ_JOE said.

Also, certain universities have minimum UAI requirements.

They are:
  • ANU- 65.00
  • Macquarie Uni- 70.00
  • UNSW- 65.00
  • UTS- 66.00

Some of the other universities either; don't say, or don't have a minimum UAI requirement.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Dont even bother with it, its a waste of time. You expose your private life to teachers and strangers when you fill in the forms, it takes ages, is stressful, emotional, and then they dont even give you one bloody point!!! not even one!!!!! its all I needed!
But seriously, if you do get it, dont get hopefull, coz then you fall even further and spend all day in bed crying when you dont get in.

bobo123

HSC
what kinda proof do you need for these things?
example :my granddad died 2 weeks ago overseas, how do i confirm this for them?

also can anyone link me to a site with more info on this?

cheers

Last edited:

bobo123

HSC
oh ok thanks
i was scared that it involved like hours and hours of counselling sessions :eek:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I shouldnt whinge too much, I got an access sholarship.
Yeah, in our school last year, they told us about the scheme in like February, but we didnt get the booklet thing until June, so dont stress.
I guess if your grandpa died then you'd either need a copy of the death certificate, or a letter from someone like a doctor saying that he passed away. I'm not exactly sure about that one. I got it for having my parents divorce in year 12, and I had to have a copy of the divorce certificate.
You also write a personal statement about how your disadvantage has affected your studies and your study environment.
its a lot of work, like getting documents signed by a JP and getting official statements off people, but I guess for some people its worth it.

big_will08

EAS

yeah i was told i was eligible for EAS by someone
coz i got 5 brothers and a sister!

when i told my friends about it they were like :eek:
they started to think about other reasons why THEY should be eligible(i.e. emotional stress coz his parents were divorced in year 6 or something)

career advisors get really :mad: when it comes to EAS
hehe

well, thats my 2 cents

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Yeah big will you'd get in. They call it "lack of space and a stabel work environment" or something like that. you can get it even if you share a room. Like I said earlier, even if you get access its still competitive coz so many people get it.

big_will08

i just got an idea!

yeah i am pretty sure ill get it
you guys reckon i should add in the fact that my house is being renovated and being painted, causing a stressful study environment?
or do you think they wont buy it
btw what im saying above is true!:D

schwang_thang

Re: i just got an idea!

Originally posted by big_will08
yeah i am pretty sure ill get it
you guys reckon i should add in the fact that my house is being renovated and being painted, causing a stressful study environment?
or do you think they wont buy it
btw what im saying above is true!:D
yeah they probably wud! ne excuse will do: small study desk, not enuff light,, blah blah...
i wish i applied 4 EAS, i missed out on law/biz at UTS by the smallest margin...but i know a chick who got 92 n got in2 law/biz thru EAS! dammit!! :mad:

big_will08

yaeh my sister didnt apply for EAS and got 93 something

she wanted to get into b commerce but missed out so she did info sys at UNSW

then she met this chick and she got 91 but did b comm...my sister wasnt too happy!

well thats how i found out about EAS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)