Effect of an environmental change on the phenotype (1 Viewer)

sshj_91

HSC
hi guys ! I have this major major assignment due soon :bomb:
where i have to research, design, perfrom, report on and assess a first hand investigation to INVESTIGATE THE EFFECT OF THE ENVIRONMENT ON PHENOTYPE

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION

i have tried to create something special but i give up on that so i planned to grow snow peas where i have bought them as seedlings not long ago.

What environment factor should i change for my plants to have better chance
in surviving instead of killing them all. (my plants need to survive for atleast 2weeks and death is not a phenotype)

eg. changing water availability, light availability, changing pH

which one will have the best visible change in the phenotype ?

that was a long question :( well please help me

samthebear

HSC
go do your research on what affects pea plants in terms of phenotype, personally i wouldnt do pea plants but rather i'd do the hydranga flowers. the flowers are known to change in colour with a change in pH. but getting a fully grown hydranga plant doesnt seem to be very efficent so either do your research on what affects the phenotype of pea plants (pH is a good place to start) or do more research into other plants are easily affected by its environment in terms of its phenotype.

i dont know if changing the amount of light will change its phenotype a whole heap and i dont think watering it less will produce a good example of a phenotypic change. it'll be better if you played around with the pH of the soil, the kind of fertiliser - if you choose to use any, etc maybe make one with its soil to contain more of a certain kind of mineral etc.
however, the outcomes of your results are all highly dependent on wether the pea plant even reacts to the environmental change you're imposing on it.

Bottom line: Do your research into what will or will not affect pea plants. you cannot determine if whatever happened to your pea plant is a phenotypic change unless you do alot of the same thing over and over again. Dont waste time doing the same condition over and over again, research it and cite it in your work.
Yes, do repeated expriements but since you are going to change so many conditions i suggest you repeat each condition only twice - thrice if your teacher is a stickler for repetition (for reliability) but keep in mind, if you do three different conditions and do each condition 3 times over, you'll have to do 9 expriements. the more conditions you expriement for (and hence more time taken to conduct these expriements) the number of total expriments you have to do will be exponentially increased.
ie: if you do 4 different conditions, you'll have to do 12 expriements rather than 9. *

sshj_91

HSC
hum.... i only need to change one environmental factor. Plus everyone is going to be doing the flower that changes its colour according to the pH of the soil.
If you change the water availability the colour of the plant will change will it not? green to probably yellow?
Tall to short?
i need to change 0NE environmental factor and observe 3 different phenotypes

help :(

i'm still going to stay with my peas cuz i already bought them and stuff

it;d be good if i can buy some snails cuz i herd their shell colour change according to how much sunlight they get.:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)