Effects on the rate of corrosion (1 Viewer)

danif

HSC
Heya
We recently did a prac in class where we looked at the factors effecting the rates of corrosion. one of the things we looked at was the distance between the electrodes of an electrolytic cell (i think we used graphite electrodes). we noticed that as the electrodes were brought closer together the rxn occured faster... why? the concentration was not altered, the size of the electrodes was not changed so how does distance affect the rate of reaction?
just wondering if anyone can help me out =)

scruffy012

HSC
hey

hey i did the same prac yeaterday, (and spilt a lot of acid down my self :p)

yeah its because of the surface area between and of the two electrodes, if the distance is large, the resistance for the ion migration is fairly large, and hence less H2 bubbles. also with the size of the electrodes is also a contributing factor because of the Surface area of these electrodes (we used Al electrodes made of everyday foil to show differecne in size vs effectiveness) provides more area for the reaction to occur..

hope it made sense... the biggerr the electrode, the bigger the rate of reaction. the bigger the distance, the bigger the resistance and less bubbles.

thats in lamemans terms

see ya

Scruffy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)