Electives first year comp sci? (1 Viewer)

GCGsauce

HSC
So aside from ENGG1000, what are the recommended electives/what did you guys do?

I guess physics is an option but I haven't done physics in quite a while and meh. I'm not looking for any WAM boosters or anything, I merely want to learn stuff that is relevant, and I don't really care about difficulty at the moment unless it's perhaps extraordinarily hard. I don't really like arts courses unless they are technical, because I'm too impatient to write essays and stuff like this, which I'm sure happens even in something like Econ.

Are there any good comp, engineering, science or math classes I can take that have no prereqs and are not already in the core that were useful for people in computer science?

I have discrete maths, math 1141, computing 1A and Engg1000 first sem so I need 2 good electives next sem. Thanks! I'm curious as to what you second years took as well!

Gordon003

HSC
lol, isn't computing 1A replaced by "Introduction to Programming"?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I took mine1010 (don't do that) and engg1400 (worst subject ever) was sort of software related but the software was so shit and the course made no sense whatsoever

I97

HSC
ENGG1400 was the biggest wam booster last sem for most people and an easy HD. If you like mathematical logic then do it.

GCGsauce

HSC
I took mine1010 (don't do that) and engg1400 (worst subject ever) was sort of software related but the software was so shit and the course made no sense whatsoever
Hahaha. one person says its an easy HD and one says its worst subject ever... i guess they aren't mutually exclusive but wow.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Hahaha. one person says its an easy HD and one says its worst subject ever... i guess they aren't mutually exclusive but wow.
It's really up to the individual for me it made no sense whatsoever but other people enjoyed it

the_matrix

HSC
I don't think so. Looking at other ppl's scheds looks like they are doing 1A
isn't 1A for people who aren't studying the Computer Science degree but want some substantial knowledge in computing?
That is what CSE told me, I suggest you check up with them in case.

Gordon003

HSC
isn't 1A for people who aren't studying the Computer Science degree but want some substantial knowledge in computing?
That is what CSE told me, I suggest you check up with them in case.
Yes, I believe so.

Anyway, for my electives, I'm doing a minor in animation and visual effect. The only problem is travelling. :(

Flop21

HSC
So aside from ENGG1000, what are the recommended electives/what did you guys do?

I guess physics is an option but I haven't done physics in quite a while and meh. I'm not looking for any WAM boosters or anything, I merely want to learn stuff that is relevant, and I don't really care about difficulty at the moment unless it's perhaps extraordinarily hard. I don't really like arts courses unless they are technical, because I'm too impatient to write essays and stuff like this, which I'm sure happens even in something like Econ.

Are there any good comp, engineering, science or math classes I can take that have no prereqs and are not already in the core that were useful for people in computer science?

I have discrete maths, math 1141, computing 1A and Engg1000 first sem so I need 2 good electives next sem. Thanks! I'm curious as to what you second years took as well!
Do as many core subjects as you can...

e.g. a LOT of people did comp2041 and comp2121 second sem last year, even though they are second year subjects. But obviously new degree is slightly different so check for their equivalents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)