electrical engineering and computer science (1 Viewer)

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
Im planning on doing this in Uni. I want to know more about this like what does this specifically entail and is it a good pathway to go for etc

Thanks

liamkk112

HSC
Im planning on doing this in Uni. I want to know more about this like what does this specifically entail and is it a good pathway to go for etc

Thanks
well it’s specifically a pretty good pathway if you want to work on technology because you’ll be proficient in both hardware and software, probably the best double for that, otherwise you can work as an electrical engineering obviously which involves stuff like energy, mining, industrial automation, electronics, embedded systems etc

specifically you’d be learning how to design electrical circuits and analyse them, program microcontrollers in low level programming languages, advanced data structures and algorithms, electromagnetic physics, electrical machines, analog circuitry, and how to use signals in systems for the electrical engineering part of the degree

then for computer science you’d be going into things like operating systems, networking, much deeper algorithm stuff, machine learning, databases, more higher level programming languages than electrical engineering, etc. essentially electrical engineering is more focused on hardware whereas compsci is more focused on software

alongside those classes you’d be learning a fair amount of maths especially for electrical engineering which needs some pretty sophisticated stuff, compsci also has some math but much less than electrical engineering, more so in the logic realm than anything else. electrical engineering also obviously has a good amount of physics to learn because you need to understand electromagnetism and potentially optics

rayansmith

HSC
Hi there! Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) is an interdisciplinary field encompassing the study of electrical systems and computational technology. It involves understanding hardware and software design, AI, robotics, and telecommunications. EECS graduates are highly sought after in industries like tech, aerospace, and automotive, offering diverse career opportunities. This pathway is excellent for those interested in innovation and problem-solving, providing a strong foundation for both industry roles and advanced research. If you enjoy math, science, and technology, pursuing EECS can be a rewarding and versatile career choice.

Pipi108

HSC
N/A

Thanks
WELCOME TO HELL GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN, nah jk its hard and you'll have like negative time available constantly but you'll love it if you love the content. I did mine at UNSW and you'll extremely tired and burnt out by it at times (trimesters and its consequences) but the opportunities it opens up if you ever wanted to work in either fields is amazing. Regarding what it entails, litearlly up to you, you can pick your units in uni apart from foundational first and second year stuff. you could do power, telecom, quantum computing (the quantum degree is literally 80% elec), microprocessors or electronics, etc. As for compsci, again you can pick front end, ai, algos, whatever really suits you tbh. Just know it won't come easy and strong maths and science skills really do help. Should also be noted that like most engineering degrees in unis, theyre always more focused on the theory side, if you wanna do this degree to build devices and such, still do the degree but know that a lot of self learning is required on the side as well. I originally wanted to do compsci alone but i saw the market a few years ago and decided doing an elec with it would be a smart back up plan. For the extra 2 years (from 3 to 5) it's already been paying dividends as ive had a lot of flexibility in my options. You'll find that unless youre directly working in comp, having comp knowledge is an OP as fuck soft skill to have. Earnings wise, you'll be around the 60-120k range (depends on how good you are) when you start, growth isn't as fast as something like actuary but by around the 15-20 year career mark you can find salaries for senior positions that pay around 300k.

Pipi108

HSC
N/A
well it’s specifically a pretty good pathway if you want to work on technology because you’ll be proficient in both hardware and software, probably the best double for that, otherwise you can work as an electrical engineering obviously which involves stuff like energy, mining, industrial automation, electronics, embedded systems etc

specifically you’d be learning how to design electrical circuits and analyse them, program microcontrollers in low level programming languages, advanced data structures and algorithms, electromagnetic physics, electrical machines, analog circuitry, and how to use signals in systems for the electrical engineering part of the degree

then for computer science you’d be going into things like operating systems, networking, much deeper algorithm stuff, machine learning, databases, more higher level programming languages than electrical engineering, etc. essentially electrical engineering is more focused on hardware whereas compsci is more focused on software

alongside those classes you’d be learning a fair amount of maths especially for electrical engineering which needs some pretty sophisticated stuff, compsci also has some math but much less than electrical engineering, more so in the logic realm than anything else. electrical engineering also obviously has a good amount of physics to learn because you need to understand electromagnetism and potentially optics
This only really applies for the first year or so of the degrees, you move on very quickly afterwards when your higher level units are chosen. You could do computer architecture, integrated circuits, etc. electives later on if you want to do both HW and SW. Also comp has a ton of maths in it too, don't be deceived.

liamkk112

HSC
This only really applies for the first year or so of the degrees, you move on very quickly afterwards when your higher level units are chosen. You could do computer architecture, integrated circuits, etc. electives later on if you want to do both HW and SW. Also comp has a ton of maths in it too, don't be deceived.
yeah ee is very broad and i couldn’t include everything, but most of what i threw in was generalised first year stuff, you’re also right that u can do software work as an ee but coz they were talking about a double degree with compsci your electives would already be taken up with software subjects

compsci does have a good chunk of maths in it but it isn’t calculus based and for the most part you’ll be working with how to implement stuff in code, that’s why i referred to it as more logic based because pretty much everything needs to be an algorithm - compared to ee where you will be required to do a lot more math classes to do things like laplace transforms (although in practice this will be done on computers too, but you will still be forced to learn much more math taking an ee degree)

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
WELCOME TO HELL GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN, nah jk its hard and you'll have like negative time available constantly but you'll love it if you love the content. I did mine at UNSW and you'll extremely tired and burnt out by it at times (trimesters and its consequences) but the opportunities it opens up if you ever wanted to work in either fields is amazing. Regarding what it entails, litearlly up to you, you can pick your units in uni apart from foundational first and second year stuff. you could do power, telecom, quantum computing (the quantum degree is literally 80% elec), microprocessors or electronics, etc. As for compsci, again you can pick front end, ai, algos, whatever really suits you tbh. Just know it won't come easy and strong maths and science skills really do help. Should also be noted that like most engineering degrees in unis, theyre always more focused on the theory side, if you wanna do this degree to build devices and such, still do the degree but know that a lot of self learning is required on the side as well. I originally wanted to do compsci alone but i saw the market a few years ago and decided doing an elec with it would be a smart back up plan. For the extra 2 years (from 3 to 5) it's already been paying dividends as ive had a lot of flexibility in my options. You'll find that unless youre directly working in comp, having comp knowledge is an OP as fuck soft skill to have. Earnings wise, you'll be around the 60-120k range (depends on how good you are) when you start, growth isn't as fast as something like actuary but by around the 15-20 year career mark you can find salaries for senior positions that pay around 300k.
omg sounds scary 😭

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
is it easy to gain a successful career from this? especially with how the world is advancing rn

wollongong warrior

HSC
Btw, >90% of UNSW cs courses are online so "unless you want something to keep you accountable, there is no reason to pay for a cs degree" - paraphrased from a pretty popular unsw cs professor whom I've forgotten the name of

wollongong warrior

HSC
Sorry but what specifically are internships and whats the point of that
Academics and career are arguably drastically different, an internship basically shows future employers that you're not just someone that can get grades and pass their courses but rather someone that's capable in the workplace
Hence if you get an internship, you don't have to compensate for the lack of experience through projects/extracurriculars/GOOD grades that much

wollongong warrior

HSC
Sorry but what specifically are internships and whats the point of that
Sorry I forgot to answer your first question: an internship is basically what companies give to usually penultimate students (graduating the next year) to have a trial experience of what a graduate role would be like
And if you do well, an internship can be followed up by a graduate role offer by the company so you won't have to go job hunting

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
Sorry I forgot to answer your first question: an internship is basically what companies give to usually penultimate students (graduating the next year) to have a trial experience of what a graduate role would be like
And if you do well, an internship can be followed up by a graduate role offer by the company so you won't have to go job hunting
ok tysmm
Im just so unsure about what I wanna do post hs 😭😭 its literally eating me up as the days go by especially since I basically start yr 12 in like 8 weeks and I dont want it to be too late (ik I make no sense😭)

wollongong warrior

HSC
ok tysmm
Im just so unsure about what I wanna do post hs 😭😭 its literally eating me up as the days go by especially since I basically start yr 12 in like 8 weeks and I dont want it to be too late (ik I make no sense😭)
You're fine, good thing about engineering in unsw is that you can change your degree and have your courses transferred immediately on the website
So if you suddenly change your mind during 1st or even a bit through 2nd year, you won't be penalised that much as eng degrees have a lot of intro courses in common

liamkk112

HSC
You're fine, good thing about engineering in unsw is that you can change your degree and have your courses transferred immediately on the website
So if you suddenly change your mind during 1st or even a bit through 2nd year, you won't be penalised that much as eng degrees have a lot of intro courses in common
yup pretty much this
i started a math degree this year, now im changing to electrical engineering + math and it won't cost me any time (or in some cases, you have to complete an extra semester, but like that's really not that much time and definetly worth it)

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
oo good to know

Pipi108

HSC
N/A
is it easy to gain a successful career from this? especially with how the world is advancing rn
not easy at all mate, welcome to engineering. You wont be struggling to get a job if you work in something like power and transmissions, but just be aware of what your state/ country is able to provide in terms of jobs. You got like the first 2-3 years in uni to figure that out anyways. The degree will be hard (its the hardest engineering for a resason) but you will be rewarded

Pipi108

HSC
N/A
yeah ee is very broad and i couldn’t include everything, but most of what i threw in was generalised first year stuff, you’re also right that u can do software work as an ee but coz they were talking about a double degree with compsci your electives would already be taken up with software subjects

compsci does have a good chunk of maths in it but it isn’t calculus based and for the most part you’ll be working with how to implement stuff in code, that’s why i referred to it as more logic based because pretty much everything needs to be an algorithm - compared to ee where you will be required to do a lot more math classes to do things like laplace transforms (although in practice this will be done on computers too, but you will still be forced to learn much more math taking an ee degree)
Just wait till you do machine learning electives 💀💀💀

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)