Electrical Engineering or Software Engineering/Computer Science (1 Viewer)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm only in my 3rd year in a 5 year degree, but what I've noticed so far is that outside of the specific maths subjects that we're required to take, the maths in actual mech engineering subjects (like fluids, thermo, statics, etc.) is quite straightforward. I'm guessing it'll start to step up again in the final few subjects, but so far most of my time (and my friends' time) have been spent on actually trying to understand problems and seeing if there are any concepts we can apply to simplify the problem, stuff like that. Personally, I really enjoy subjects like this because you feel like you're actually solving a problem, rather than memorising equations or doing lines and lines of math for no apparent reason.

To give you an idea, there's a subject called Mech Design that you take in 3rd year at USYD. I haven't taken it yet, but my friends who took it showed me their assignments. They were basically just given a task (one task was lifting a submarine that was on the seabed out of the water), and told to design something that could lift it up. As you can imagine, solving the problem is actually much more difficult than the maths you'd run into (which might include some statics/dynamics, some fluids maybe if you're advanced enough).

I also have the same problem as you btw, suck at anything EE related because I just can't visualise it :( I didn't even understand the difference between parallel and series circuits til year 12...

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I'm only in my 3rd year in a 5 year degree, but what I've noticed so far is that outside of the specific maths subjects that we're required to take, the maths in actual mech engineering subjects (like fluids, thermo, statics, etc.) is quite straightforward. I'm guessing it'll start to step up again in the final few subjects, but so far most of my time (and my friends' time) have been spent on actually trying to understand problems and seeing if there are any concepts we can apply to simplify the problem, stuff like that. Personally, I really enjoy subjects like this because you feel like you're actually solving a problem, rather than memorising equations or doing lines and lines of math for no apparent reason.

To give you an idea, there's a subject called Mech Design that you take in 3rd year at USYD. I haven't taken it yet, but my friends who took it showed me their assignments. They were basically just given a task (one task was lifting a submarine that was on the seabed out of the water), and told to design something that could lift it up. As you can imagine, solving the problem is actually much more difficult than the maths you'd run into (which might include some statics/dynamics, some fluids maybe if you're advanced enough).

I also have the same problem as you btw, suck at anything EE related because I just can't visualise it :( I didn't even understand the difference between parallel and series circuits til year 12...
I'm actually really interested in Mech/Arts at USYD (In case I decide against SENG/EE at UNSW). The program progression is more balanced than UNSW. What is the atmosphere like at USYD? How are the facilties? Others have posted that the buildings look like public high schools only more depressing lol are they better on the inside?

That sounds like a fun assignment honestly, I'd enjoy that haha I wish someone would tell me of an equivalent assignment in EE so I could compare the two

It really sucks, but I'm not letting it discourage me quite yet. I'm guessing not many people can actually visualise EE stuff.

I just realised you already replied to some of my questions about facilities on a different thread... so if there's anything you'd like to add or not either way thanks :)

Last edited:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm actually really interested in Mech/Arts at USYD (In case I decide against SENG/EE at UNSW). The program progression is more balanced than UNSW. What is the atmosphere like at USYD? How are the facilties? Others have posted that the buildings look like public high schools only more depressing lol are they better on the inside?

That sounds like a fun assignment honestly, I'd enjoy that haha I wish someone would tell me of an equivalent assignment in EE so I could compare the two

It really sucks, but I'm not letting it discourage me quite yet. I'm guessing not many people can actually visualise EE stuff.

I just realised you already replied to some of my questions about facilities on a different thread... so if there's anything you'd like to add or not either way thanks :)
I think I answered the atmosphere question there as well, but I'll say again that I like it (though I guess this is quite subjective). Regarding the buildings, once you're in engineering you have bigger problems to worry about than what the building looks like lol, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's not like the buildings are so ridiculous that you can barely stay in them for over an hour, they're just not as modern. They definitely are better on the inside than they are on the outside though (however some of the seats/tables in lecture rooms might be annoying).

Yeah I'd guess that too, but up to you. Also mech design is a 2nd year subject, not a 3rd year one as I stated before. It's only a 3rd year subject for double degrees.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Aesthetics are just that. I wouldn't worry too much.

We had a lab which pretty much demonstrated wireless charging. A lot of our exams involve design questions. Many assignments are design based as well.

Flop21

HSC
That's good to know because I don't think I'll have the time to learn to program before uni starts.

Do you happen to know anything about the workshops in SENG? I've asked around but I don't know anyone doing SENG and people on forums just usually say they're not worth it without any further explanation of what goes on.
Is there a lot of group work in EE or do most students just stick to themselves?
You can ask on the fb pages for CSE people at UNSW. I'm sure a SENG person will be able to help you out with that question.

In CSE / comp1917 they have a lot of pair programming. Almost after your first couple labs, you'll be with a partner during your labs. They switch them up throughout the sem as well. Same goes for the second assignment and third.

Silly Sausage

HSC

Apart from some of the science and engineering buildings, USYD has a fantastic atmosphere imo especially for Arts.

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad

I do CS at USYD. Atmosphere is nice, and because there are so many arts students the STEM community is pretty tight knit. Engineering society and IT society are great.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I think I answered the atmosphere question there as well, but I'll say again that I like it (though I guess this is quite subjective). Regarding the buildings, once you're in engineering you have bigger problems to worry about than what the building looks like lol, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's not like the buildings are so ridiculous that you can barely stay in them for over an hour, they're just not as modern. They definitely are better on the inside than they are on the outside though (however some of the seats/tables in lecture rooms might be annoying).

Yeah I'd guess that too, but up to you. Also mech design is a 2nd year subject, not a 3rd year one as I stated before. It's only a 3rd year subject for double degrees.
lol I know hahaha doesn't hurt to ask though.. I haven't been to either campus so I'm relying on what others have to say to form some kind of idea of what its like

thought so, well hoped so hahaha

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Aesthetics are just that. I wouldn't worry too much.

We had a lab which pretty much demonstrated wireless charging. A lot of our exams involve design questions. Many assignments are design based as well.
I'm guessing that makes for some 'fun' exams. You'd have to be a pretty quick thinker to solve design questions under exam conditions lol

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Apart from some of the science and engineering buildings, USYD has a fantastic atmosphere imo especially for Arts.
So I've heard.. the arts faculty at USYD offers a wider range of senior electives for the majors I'm considering which is what makes it so appealing. I still have my heart set on UNSW if I choose CS/SENG though.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I do CS at USYD. Atmosphere is nice, and because there are so many arts students the STEM community is pretty tight knit. Engineering society and IT society are great.
What made you choose USYD over UNSW for CS? How is your experience with CS units? Are you satisfied with the teaching quality, labs and any other CS related activities offered by USYD?

clementinez

HSC
N/A
You can ask on the fb pages for CSE people at UNSW. I'm sure a SENG person will be able to help you out with that question.

In CSE / comp1917 they have a lot of pair programming. Almost after your first couple labs, you'll be with a partner during your labs. They switch them up throughout the sem as well. Same goes for the second assignment and third.
Will do, thanks.

I didn't know that. Actually makes it more appealing now haha

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
What made you choose USYD over UNSW for CS? How is your experience with CS units? Are you satisfied with the teaching quality, labs and any other CS related activities offered by USYD?
I originally went to USYD for an arts/science double degree, but then I took some programming classes which I fell in love with so I decided to do straight science with a major in CS. Already liked USYD so I didn't want to transfer to UNSW.

The CS units are great. However they aren't scaled, so if you fuck up an exam scaling can't save you. Some of the units have high fail rates. I asked my lecturer how many people fail INFO1103 (introductory programming) and they said upwards of a third (and this is excluding all the people who drop the class along the way before the census date). If you work hard first year is easy. Second year, like any discipline, is where things get tough.

Silly Sausage

HSC
I originally went to USYD for an arts/science double degree, but then I took some programming classes which I fell in love with so I decided to do straight science with a major in CS. Already liked USYD so I didn't want to transfer to UNSW.

The CS units are great. However they aren't scaled, so if you fuck up an exam scaling can't save you. Some of the units have high fail rates. I asked my lecturer how many people fail INFO1103 (introductory programming) and they said upwards of a third (and this is excluding all the people who drop the class along the way before the census date). If you work hard first year is easy. Second year, like any discipline, is where things get tough.
Can confirm, still the hardest subject I've ever taken so far.

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm actually really interested in Mech/Arts at USYD (In case I decide against SENG/EE at UNSW). The program progression is more balanced than UNSW.
I like the ME program at USYD and the EE program at UNSW :p ME at UNSW will probably cover the same but the progression is a bit different.
What/how do you mean by progression? It's being used so loosely here.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
What/how do you mean by progression? It's being used so loosely here.
When you combine Engineering at UNSW with Arts you end up doing no Arts in first year and then 2 in second year and continue that way until you complete Engineering after which you have a year and a half of Arts. At Usyd it starts off with 2 in first year and then 4 for subsequent years. I tried adjusting the UNSW program but with EE and ME it gets a bit complicated if you want to stay within the 5.5 years and for the program to make sense, with SENG it's doable. That's what I meant by progression.

clementinez

HSC
N/A

So apart from fear of imminent failure it's the place to be lol jk does UNSW have a lower fail rate then or is this just a general CS fail rate wherever? I'm not gonna be slacking off so I'm guessing it won't matter which uni I go to. You don't fail if you do the work, right? RIGHT?

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Also, about CS. Apparently UNSW starts with C and USYD starts with JAVA... any thoughts on that?

D94

HSC
N/A
When you combine Engineering at UNSW with Arts you end up doing no Arts in first year and then 2 in second year and continue that way until you complete Engineering after which you have a year and a half of Arts. At Usyd it starts off with 2 in first year and then 4 for subsequent years. I tried adjusting the UNSW program but with EE and ME it gets a bit complicated if you want to stay within the 5.5 years and for the program to make sense, with SENG it's doable. That's what I meant by progression.
At UNSW, you can do Arts courses in the first year, for example, replacing the two 'first year engineering electives' with Arts course. Those first year electives can then be completed at any time, not restricted to your first year.

https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au...3763-BEHons-BA-MECH-Plan-from-2015_5.1.15.pdf

There's plenty of flexibility. It would be similar for Electrical as well.

https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au...ec/files/u12/Programs/ELECAH3763(BEBArts).pdf

You can push back ENGG1000 in your first year, and pretty much move a lot of courses since 1.5 years are designed to be dedicated for Arts. This actually gives more flexibility, bar first year.

Last edited:

clementinez

HSC
N/A
At UNSW, you can do Arts courses in the first year, for example, replacing the two 'first year engineering electives' with Arts course. Those first year electives can then be completed at any time, not restricted to your first year.

https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au...3763-BEHons-BA-MECH-Plan-from-2015_5.1.15.pdf

There's plenty of flexibility.
First year is not the biggest problem, it's 2nd and third. Here's EE as an example. You have to do Elec. Circuits in first year to do 2nd year circuit courses meaning I'd have to put off computing courses until second year which in turn means I'd have to wait until 3rd year to do all the 2nd yr EE courses and I'd have a one year gap between electrical circuits and other circuit courses. Not sure if that's the best idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)