Electrical Engineering (1 Viewer)

SchizM

Whats the job demand like? From what i have seen Engineers get the highest salaries out of the various fields. Im tossing up between UOW and UNSW.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I do electrical eng at UNSW, and I think the job demand is quite ok, the demand is always quite stable it doesn't seem to fluctuate much. I read somewhere the average graduate salary for an electrical engineering graduate from UNSW is about 42k/year, and I think it goes up to a maximum of about 60-70k after some years (not bad, though not the most lucrative, if it's just money you're after then medicine or law is right up your alley :p ).

But if you're interested in electronics and electrical stuff (and have a solid background in maths & physics), then EE is a great choice IMO.

Matt200

Max 70K, hopefully be able to move over to management and get keep it going up..

televators

HSC
Hi,

I am currently enrolling into a BE (elec)/ Bsc @ UNSW- however there seems to be a confusion

As I am choosing my subjects, it says- Program- BE (elec)/ B Sc- thats fine...

BUT...my plan says Plan- Computer Science

Does the plan mean my science major? Because i certainly didnt choose Comp Sci, I didn't choose anything.... so is it a default?

Or do i just change my science plan in second year (to what I want my science major to be- that is, physics)

Any help to this confusion would be greatly appreciated, cheers...

gman03

HSC
televators said:
Hi,

I am currently enrolling into a BE (elec)/ Bsc @ UNSW- however there seems to be a confusion

As I am choosing my subjects, it says- Program- BE (elec)/ B Sc- thats fine...

BUT...my plan says Plan- Computer Science

Does the plan mean my science major? Because i certainly didnt choose Comp Sci, I didn't choose anything.... so is it a default?

Or do i just change my science plan in second year (to what I want my science major to be- that is, physics)

Any help to this confusion would be greatly appreciated, cheers...
That's the default, but you can choose to do different major freely. If you are really concern phone the EE&T office. They might ask you to desribe the situation 100x because they play mp3s while listening to phones, but that's normal.

If the "receiption" can't help you, speak to a woman named Gladys, she is in a higher position to deal with this. Be nice to her, or you die.

Cheers

televators

HSC
Thanks gman03, you put my mind at ease...as my subjects don't necessarily change at all this year (well the ones ive picked anyway)- i guess i wouldn't need to change my plan as such until im in 2nd year aye?

kartman

HSC
there are heeps of job for electrical engineers here in vic with salaries hovering around 130k.....

so the max 70k post is a load of bull

MJWOOSHA

HSC
Hey Kartman I got into Engineering at Monash. Whats the engineering faculity like in Monash and is there any way of transferring to a double degree after the first common year of engineering.

gman03

HSC
televators said:
Thanks gman03, you put my mind at ease...as my subjects don't necessarily change at all this year (well the ones ive picked anyway)- i guess i wouldn't need to change my plan as such until im in 2nd year aye?
It is more like you have not chosen the proper plan yet. Changing plan will not involve going through UAC nor have to pay $$, so you can have some relief there.

However if you decided to do Sci Maj in area outside comp sci you would need to consult school of the relavent discipline (e.g. maths you talk to the maths guy). If you don't change the plan during this year you may have trouble enrolling next year due to restrictions placed by myUNSW.

So in short, this year -> no worries, next year -> be alert.

Take care, enjoy your study, Cheers!

kartman

HSC
Numero Uno said:
mate he was referring to starting salary
no he wasnt
wogboy said:
I think it goes up to a maximum of about 60-70k after some years
MJWOOSHA said:
Hey Kartman I got into Engineering at Monash. Whats the engineering faculity like in Monash and is there any way of transferring to a double degree after the first common year of engineering.
yea ive found it good so far, some units are hard such as electrical systems (damn abachi!, hes a legend thou) and my aero unit but the rest are managable.

regarding transfers, you need a D (distinction) average (70%) to apply and usually depending on what double degree you are going for you need higher than that to get in.

one of my friends in going for a commerce/eng transfer and he told me that you need a high 70's average to get into that since there is a lot of demand for it. The easiest transfre would be to Aerospace since all the units are the same as noraml engineering for 1st year other than the one aerospace unit but to get into that you need a HD average in first year (80%+)

Zaphk

HSC
I've been to one of the IEE careers expo, apparently next generation the power industry will dominate the market do to a lack of power engineers. But the thing is that power can be very boring to some people. Most students will prefer to do 'interesting' subjects like electronics and telecomm but the thing is that Australia doesn't have a large market in electronics, (telecomm - starting to grow).

Australia has a larger market in heavy electrical systems like mining, power systems and especially renewable energy with all the funding from the federal government into preserving the enviroment.

just becareful about doing the course for the money, it isn't worth doing a subject you're not interested in.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
hey guys, im confused about the differences between electrical eng and comp eng. I've been thinking of comp eng for a while and I was impressed at the C&C day by the CSE faculty. I know comp eng has a lot of elec subjects in it but elec eng seems more varied in depth?

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Li0n said:
ifyou dont like programming, don't do comp eng, simple as that :p
I havent been inclined to try out programming thats all, i'll have to see how it goes in the course then decide between comp and elec.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)