Elite Athletes (1 Viewer)

Megan5

HSC
I am an elite athlete, and I have learned that you can apply for the elite athlete scheme, which is for athletes who have represented at state/national or international levels within their sport and believe that it has had a negative impact on their school work and studies.
I know that my sport is demanding and requires frequent training, not to mention the extra stress of having to perform well at state training/games or face being dropped. At the same time I have to try my best to study and get 'great' marks.
I was just wondering how many of you guys are elite athletes who are in a similar situation..

HSC
N/A
Weren't you ever given the option of going on Pathways? Studying year 12 part-time over 2-5 years would have given you much more time to dedicate yourself to both your sport and schooling.

xxPanDa

HSC
etc. etc. etc. said:
Weren't you ever given the option of going on Pathways? Studying year 12 part-time over 2-5 years would have given you much more time to dedicate yourself to both your sport and schooling.
can u do that with uni?? lol
go to uni
and also at the same time repeat the subjects i did shit in
and see i get a better uai

ahah

lala2

Banned
HSC
Pathways or Elite Athletes program is good...hmmm, there should be one for Elite Creative & Performing Artists. I mean, we spend equally as much time practising for that concerto competition, practising that dance or the scene you're preparing for in a drama scene, or even auditioning for competitions not to mention Australian Idol :rolleyes: (yes, the girl from my grade who made it into the top 30 in Aus Idol in 2004 is currently doing Music Studies at the Con, so don't laugh!) [/end rant]

Anyway, to above poster, I think there are sporting scholarships available to not only finance your sporting commitments but also I think enables you to some sort of academic mentoring or academic help program if you need it. Otherwise, no-one would take up sporting scholarships if they could not be assured of pastoral care regarding their academic studies.

Megan5

HSC
At the moment, im in the process of gathering certain university's application forms for the elite athletes and performers scheme which is similar to the educational access scheme, however you apply directly to the university for consideration instead of UAC.
Lots of evidence and proof needed, but if its accepted, it allows for athletes whose UAI is up to five UAI points below the cut-off to compete for a place..
Anyone else doing this? There has to be someone!!!

crimsonking

HSC

I doubt it.

But if you have the opportunities to get special provisions, I think I am entitled to extra UAI too.

The story is that, I'm a smoker and I came first in PE - now that is worth at least +10 UAI. I seem to manage my activities in check with my studying, so i don't see why not.

Double standards!

L

littlewing69

crimsonking said:

I doubt it.

But if you have the opportunities to get special provisions, I think I am entitled to extra UAI too.

The story is that, I'm a smoker and I came first in PE - now that is worth at least +10 UAI. I seem to manage my activities in check with my studying, so i don't see why not.

Double standards!
It's pretty dodgy. I guess it's what we get from a sports-obsessed culture which is happy to subsidise the training of sports-people like this...

Last edited by a moderator:

crimsonking

HSC
Littlewing, It's good that you agree with me, overall it is a stupid scheme which disadvantages the hardworkers.

I go to the same school as Thorpe and the Waugh brothers did, I know Thorpe focused on his swimming career and dropped out of yr 10. Be realistic and pick on or the other (you should know if you have a career in your sport or not).

This whole thing goes back to yr 9 commerce - needs and wants.

Essentially, you need an education and you want to pursue a sports career. If I had the option of prolonging my studies or getting a few extra UAI, I would take it.

I know that my sport is demanding and requires frequent training, not to mention the extra stress of having to perform well at state training/games or face being dropped.

That's your choice. Why should others suffer at your choice. Just think about it like this. Someone who has worked real hard over 2 years, made sacrifices in reagrds to social and sporting life may lose a place in Uni because of your double dipping.

I'm a smoker...I came first in PE - do I deserve extra UAI? Using your logic, I should, there is something that is disturbing my learning (bare in mind, first topic is health promotion), I think I deserve an extra 5 UAI.

There is a bloke at my school who is in the same situation as you, and I've seen him with the Educational Access Scheme booklet. I don't give a shit that he went to Victoria, Queensland and even England to play cricket.

Make a fucking choice.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
crimsonking said:
Littlewing, It's good that you agree with me, overall it is a stupid scheme which disadvantages the hardworkers.

I go to the same school as Thorpe and the Waugh brothers did, I know Thorpe focused on his swimming career and dropped out of yr 10. Be realistic and pick on or the other (you should know if you have a career in your sport or not).

Essentially, you need an education and you want to pursue a sports career. If I had the option of prolonging my studies or getting a few extra UAI, I would take it.

I know that my sport is demanding and requires frequent training, not to mention the extra stress of having to perform well at state training/games or face being dropped.

That's your choice. Why should others suffer at your choice. Just think about it like this. Someone who has worked real hard over 2 years, made sacrifices in reagrds to social and sporting life may lose a place in Uni because of your double dipping.

I'm a smoker...I came first in PE - do I deserve extra UAI? Using your logic, I should, there is something that is disturbing my learning (bare in mind, first topic is health promotion), I think I deserve an extra 5 UAI.

There is a bloke at my school who is in the same situation as you, and I've seen him with the Educational Access Scheme booklet. I don't give a shit that he went to Victoria, Queensland and even England to play cricket.

Make a fucking choice.
There are ways of achieving an academic goal if at first you fall short. If you fall short of a sporting goal, i.e. you are simply not good enough, there are no 'backroads' that will allow you to achieve that sporting goal, and you will have dashed your chances to achieve any potential academic goals.

For reference I am ranked 1 in my school, so I can't be accused of being biased towards elite athletes. I endorse the schemes put forward to assist them wholeheartedly.

Megan5

HSC
crimsonking said:

Make a fucking choice.
You don't support the scheme, thats fair enough.
Playing for a local team is a choice, playing for your state or nation is a commitment, which [like it or not] is recognised by Universities and YES they believe athletes should be considered. Nothing is definite.
You stated that its a stupid scheme that disadvantages the hard workers. I have not bludged my way through year 12, thinking that I can rely on this supposed stupid scheme because Im an athlete. I've worked hard, probably harder than most to manage everything.
But don't worry! I'm sure with your wonderous ranking in PDHPE, I wont be stopping you from getting a place in university.

jackal8

HSC
yeah I am in the process of applying for the elite athlete scheme

im pretty sure mine should go through ^_^

i also want to apply for scholarships, need to look into that, the closing date for sport scholarships are much later liek next year.

my questions is, what happens if you applied for both elite athlete scheme and educational access scheme and are successful in both, what then?!?!

how will that change my UAI?

Megan5

HSC
Well, I think that the maximum they can lower the UAI cut-off is 5 marks, no matter how many schemes you apply for. So, you will only get an exception of five marks, 10 is a tad extreme. But really, I have no idea. I'm just guessing..
I'm pretty confident at the moment that I will get it too.
I hope anyway.

jackal8

HSC
so the elite athlete scheme.. how does that actually work

because the educational access scheme is administered through the UAc which enables you to contend for teh 5% (or so) of each course dedicated to access.. whereas the elita thlete scheme is administered by each university individually, i THINK they actually give you five uai (or less) points..?

is this true..

i realise im not entirely sure of how the elita thlete scheme (for USyd) works, got any ideas?

HSC
hi there
i finished yr 12 in 2003 and applied for the elite athlete thing
from memory, only some unis will take it into consideration - UNSW i dont think does, but UTS does... obviously you have to check with each uni and then how to go about it
i also remember having to get the forms etc filled out and sent off quite early (esp difficult if coaches are lazy because they have to submit somethign too) - to the uni not uac - so you should probably start asap because missing the dealine would suck
i can fully appreciate and empathise with how much time and effort training can demand from someone in yr 12... i think people not in this situation tend to view this elite athletes scheme as a crutch as opposed to something legitimate... how blinkered

nic56

Sheep Station (farm 4city ppl) 50 km NW of Wentwor
HSC
crimsonking said:

Make a fucking choice.
I agree with what is mentioned above. I have given up many sporting commitments during year 12. I had to make a choice, i am no longer a member of a hockey team which is going to Fiji at the end of the year because i want to do well in my hsc. I would have had to travel to melbourne every weekend for training, i gave this great oppurtunity up for my HSC. I can always go and trial for the team next year. During year 11 i was involved in a development squad for hockey and travelled to melbourne 8hr from my house every second weekend for training, that was hard and affected my yr 11 results. I didnt receive any extra marks.
People need to make choices school or sport. there is nothing to say you cant take time off from sport for a year or two while u study. I am planning to continue high level sport while im at uni.

vorahk

HSC
crimsonking said:

Make a fucking choice.
right on! choose either school or sport, or both... cant handle it? tough luck, it was your choice and very aware of the commitment required so why should others suffer at your choice ... just like crimsonking has mentioned.

i find this "elite scheme" ridiculous and unfair. but then again if i was able to cheap my way to get better marks llegitimately, i would lol.

reached regional level in athletics with no training. lol training? for it? never crossed my mind.

Megan5

HSC
Well, if it were fact, the elite athletes scheme wouldn't be offered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)