Elitist Selective school mentality makes me rage! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Thats not true. would you rather award a scholarship to a 99.95 guy with a pretentious elitist attitude or a slightly less intelligent guy who's sincere and humble who got 99.7ish? this is ofc a completely hypothetical situation

Jigram

HSC
The most pretentious/douchebag part is where he/she thinks she's fantastic for knowing the basics of Marxism and what a regressive tax is. Everyone who did preliminary Modern History - not even economics - knows what Marxism is. I also dislike how this person wants others to fail.

I go to a public school and I'm so proud of it. Sure there are a tonne of bogans and we get slammed in the media but I have the most amazing teachers and when I look back on my career I get to have the satisfaction of knowing I did it all without my parents paying ridiculous amounts of money so I could get decent marks.

tolfer

HSC
Thats not true. would you rather award a scholarship to a 99.95 guy with a pretentious elitist attitude or a slightly less intelligent guy who's sincere and humble who got 99.7ish? this is ofc a completely hypothetical situation
Of course the second person, however that's what the interview is for. If people were punished for everything posted on facebook no one would get scholarships.

Jigram

HSC
Last edited:
HSC
The most pretentious/douchebag part is where he/she thinks she's fantastic for knowing the basics of Marxism and what a regressive tax is. Everyone who did preliminary Modern History - not even economics - knows what Marxism is. I also dislike how this person wants others to fail.

I go to a public school and I'm so proud of it. Sure there are a tonne of bogans and we get slammed in the media but I have the most amazing teachers and when I look back on my career I get to have the satisfaction of knowing I did it all without my parents paying ridiculous amounts of money so I could get decent marks.
Selective schools are government/public school as well, there's no "ridiculous amounts of money" to be paid to get in (unless it's for tutoring which is entirely a different story altogether)

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
It's the same kinda sentiment that the King's High English teacher in this article shows when she says that "my brightest students found it quite challenging... An average student - and this is the whole state here - they would not be able to read that much text in reading time."
Is this legit?

Jigram

HSC
Selective schools are government/public school as well, there's no "ridiculous amounts of money" to be paid to get in (unless it's for tutoring which is entirely a different story altogether)
That obviously wasn't a reference to government schools, I was speaking generally.

inJust

HSC
Lol, no tutoring and go to a south-western suburb school representttt.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you think this facebook post will hurt their chances you're wrong. All that matters in the real world are results.
I never said it will, yes, in the real world, results are the most important but when applying for scholarships, many people will have results just as good and even better than your own.

This is where other factors some into play.

theind1996

HSC
N/A

That's good, but selective schools still offer a crapload of opportunities.

- No bogans disrupting your classes.
- Competitive environment which motivates you and in the end, does bring up your internal mark to your extent.
- Special facilities/programs for gifted and talented students that other schools don't offer - for free.

Too many jimmies have been rustled.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

- Competitive environment which motivates you and in the end, does bring up your internal mark to your extent.
- Special facilities/programs for gifted and talented students that other schools don't offer - for free.

Too many jimmies have been rustled.
The thing is this:
- Many comprehensive schools (when large enough), are tiered and so, you are stuck with minimal amount of retards.
- The top of some comprehensive schools are still competitive but obviously, not to the same extent.
- If you have proven to be talented and attend a comprehensive high school, the school would often try and accommodate your talents.

However, at my selective school, many students aren't competitive so that they want others to fail (okay, there's some but they tend to not be at the top) and we have many crappy teachers too...

Jigram

HSC
I think I'm a student for having to deal with bogans and having to motivate myself.

I completely understand what you're saying - it's a better overall environment though.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC

Dude I go to SBHS and there are bogans. Trust me, for some reason I have at least 3 or 4 in every class...and then they start chain reactions....THE HORROR

Astro551

HSC
the english paper 1 wasn't all that bad... it was probably a tougher paper than usual but not sure it would be fair to say that "an average student – and this is the whole state here – they would not be able to read that much text in reading time"

and who cares about selective school people... they're still public.. why does all the funding go to private schools :(

Jigram

HSC
The thing is this:
- Many comprehensive schools (when large enough), are tiered and so, you are stuck with minimal amount of retards.
- The top of some comprehensive schools are still competitive but obviously, not to the same extent.
- If you have proven to be talented and attend a comprehensive high school, the school would often try and accommodate your talents.
This is totally correct.
-My school is around 800 people so Year 12 isn't tiered - there are so many retards in my Modern class it's a joke. In English if you do Advanced you're going to be fine anyway and often my teachers have found ways of dealing with this kind of stuff. Most of them drop or just don't come to school.
- Highest ATAR my school has ever gotten was 98.6 last year. Obviously not all that competitive but if you work hard you're going to get a band six anywhere.
-Third point is the best. I have free afterschool tutoring with my teachers every Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. I meet with my Legal Studies teacher every Saturday morning. I'm constantly emailing and texting my teachers because they want what's best for me.

Overall I think it's the teachers that make the difference. They certainly have for me.

Jigram

HSC
the english paper 1 wasn't all that bad... it was probably a tougher paper than usual but not sure it would be fair to say that "an average student – and this is the whole state here – they would not be able to read that much text in reading time"

and who cares about selective school people... they're still public.. why does all the funding go to private schools :(
That's a really good question. I came to the conclusion that they think it's cheaper for the government to fund private schools in comparison to building and funding new government ones.

They really should be one system - with absolutely no religious-based schooling.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It concerns me that people don't see education as education anymore...

captainplanet7

HSC
N/A
i think he should be angry if the test was that easy.
but honestly he's taking it his anger out in the wrong way and making himself look like an idiot.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
This is totally correct.
-My school is around 800 people so Year 12 isn't tiered - there are so many retards in my Modern class it's a joke. In English if you do Advanced you're going to be fine anyway and often my teachers have found ways of dealing with this kind of stuff. Most of them drop or just don't come to school.
- Highest ATAR my school has ever gotten was 98.6 last year. Obviously not all that competitive but if you work hard you're going to get a band six anywhere.
-Third point is the best. I have free afterschool tutoring with my teachers every Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. I meet with my Legal Studies teacher every Saturday morning. I'm constantly emailing and texting my teachers because they want what's best for me.

Overall I think it's the teachers that make the difference. They certainly have for me.
I must say, that's absolutely amazing. People like that can quite literally change the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)