Elizabeth Case Study (1 Viewer)

P*O*R*T*I*A

HSC
Just letting you know, someone was nice enough to give me some notes on Elizabeth... so it was worth trying was it not? Perhaps in future you might consider not putting down peoples efforts. It doesn't help anyone.

Paroissien

HSC
Duly noted. Anyway, how much does everyone have on context?

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
I have stuff on context for Elton, Bassnet, Neale, Plowden and Camden.

Paroissien

HSC
What did you put for context on Elton and Bassnet? Elton in particular

black_tongue

HSC
Paroissien said:
Duly noted. Anyway, how much does everyone have on context?
Why would anyone help you, seeing as you were completely unwilling to help anyone else?

eriiin

HSC
Paroissien said:
What did you put for context on Elton and Bassnet? Elton in particular
Geoffrey Elton (August 17, 1921 – December 3, 1994) was a pre-eminent British historian of the Tudor period.

He was a traditionalist, so he emphasised the role of individuals in history instead of abstract, impersonal forces.
He was opposed to post-modernism.
Saw the duty of historians as gathering evidence and objectively analysing what the evidence has to say
Saw political history as being the best/most important kind of history
He was an expert on the Reformation.
Also was referred to as a "revisionist" historian, eg he wrote the corrective to Neale's "findings" on the debate surrounding Elizabeth's dealings with parliament.

Susan Bassnet was writing during the Thatcher years (ie, when Margaret Thatcher was the Prime Minister of Britain)

She provided a feminist perspective of Elizabeth. She believes that you cannot fully connect with the past and that historical research consists of a wide range of reading to gain impressions of the subject, and then drawing conclusions from these impressions to have the whole picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)