Emma/Clueless - Question (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
My sis would like help with this question:

"In the process of transforming older texts into contemporary situations, composers are more concerned with entertaining the masses than making a serious social comment." Disscus this statement.
Thankyou.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hmm, i think she's supposed to disagree with that statement. by studying the process of transformation, the plot/characters are essentially the same but it allows us to compare the context and values etc.

for example, the hierarchy-
in Emma, class structure is based of blood, land, wealth.
and with the study of transformation to clueless, we see how this hierarchy has been translated to popularity based on appearances and wealth.
and she'll have to back this up with Austen's use of authorial intrusion, how everyone acts in the hierarchy (esp. mr knightley and his noblesse oblige). and also talk about the film techniques used in clueless (opening montage > reflects the values in the modern context)
and using these techniques, she should talk about how Austen's use of authorial intrusion, wit, satire etc gives a social commentary. i personally think that she is quite content with the strict class structure although she might be a bit critical of the place in society of women like miss taylor and particularly jane. Heckerling, on the other hand, uses satire to criticise the modern values, like Cher going shopping to sort out her problems.

connie

HSC
N/A
you could also agree with the statement and say while Austen was commenting on society through her authorial intrusion, wit, irony, satire etc... Heckerling was merely concerned with entertaining the masses through the use of film techniques, like background music, bright colours (fountain scene), exaggeration...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by randomchild
hey was that question from a past trial paper..or a trial paper from this year??
2003 Trial (not sure of school)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I've done this question before, and I remember both agreeing and disagreeing with it. I said that Heckerling was making subtle social comments that were partially disguised behind the idea that she was, in fact, merely "entertaining the masses". My teacher said it was a valid argument.

that's actually a cool question - u could do the whole pop culture thing of heckerling's medium like connie was saying... like heckerling was making a box-office film, so she needed to entertain the masses with colours/action/modern stereotypes/image cos of the pressure to make millions (not exactly an issue in austen's context)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yea that's a really interesting argument! you're putting a new spin to heckerling's purpose behind those techniques and stuff. but then you're also kinda dismissing the new context and won't get to talk about the values in the modern context + heckerling's use of satire + how the transformation process has increased our understanding?

jpk

hey in an essay how would u say u disagree or agree?
would u just start off saying i agree with this comment.....and then wrte ur essay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)